1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Weird ODrive issue

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by dsr999, Aug 6, 2021.

1. dsr999

dsr999 New Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys

I'm having a weird issue with my ODrives and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I've been cloning @SilentChill's fantastic design for months and have just wired everything up and mounted the top frame etc. It looks a mess - but I can tidy that up later.

The issue is that all 6 motors calibrate properly and enter closed loop control, but when I launch FlyPT - only 3 of the actuators will move. The ones connected to M0 on the Odrives are fine - M1 doesn't do anything.

I'm sure its a config issue on my part - but I've been back through everything and it all looks right to me.

Any pointers appreciated.

Dave
  2. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Dave,

I have slso an Odrive 6DOF running with the great mover interface - so maybe I could help. It really sounds like a config/setting topic - so pls. could you post us the part of your (mover?) settings where you adress the M0 and M1 ?
    Wickie
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. dsr999

dsr999 New Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Wickie - thanks for responding.

Is this the part you mean:

upload_2021-8-6_16-39-31.png

If I hit connect on this page - the actuator connected to M0 spins up to about the midpoint. M1 does nothing at all.

Thanks again.

Dave
  4. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Dave,
    the settings seem to be correct and match nearly 100% to my settings in mover. So I think mabe the problem is not in the mover-settings.
    Have you already tried to swap the actuators from M0 to M1 and M1 to M0?
    The only thing I can do for you now, is to give you my current Odrive-config ("my config.json") and the mover settings for comparison and maybe a try. I run mover 2.9.9 with this (flight) settings and everything runs perfect.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k19jcb9hqyvbl1h/my_config.json?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/98jvp5jsnxl46sv/Flugprofil-Propeller-Juli-2021.Mover?dl=0
    Wickie
  5. dsr999

dsr999 New Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Wilkie - that’s great.

I’ll give those a try this morning.

Dave
  6. dsr999

dsr999 New Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok - new encoder cables have been installed and everything calibrates consistently now.

I'm still having the same issue though. I've also noticed that the motor connected to M1 seems to get very hot after a while, but the one connected to M0 stays cool.

Can I ask what verison of the Odrive your using Wickie? Mine are V3.6-V56V.

Thanks

Dave
  7. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Dave!
    I also use this settings for a V3.6-56V - so thats not the problem.
    Have you already tried to swap the two actuators? And you should also try to swap the encoder cables to be sure you dont have a problem with motors or encoders.
    Which motors do you use? Do they have 7 polepairs?
    Do you know the Odrive well, or are you doing copy paste from @SilentChill ?
    Did you swap encoder pin A and B?
    Could you share a short video of the motor calibration of the not working M1 actuator?
    Wickie
  8. dsr999

dsr999 New Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Wickie

I've tried swapping the acuators and have the same issue. The motor attached to M1 gets almost too hot to touch.

I'm using Turnigy aerodrive sk3 - 6364-190kv with 36V power supplies to the ODrives. The motors have 7 polepairs as far as I can see.

I have swapped A and B over and the calibration is very consistent now.

Video here: https://share.icloud.com/photos/03tyLtEqbxCoFAe9uZXy955TQ

I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad batch of odrives.

I'm just using SilentChills firmware, but I guess I could flash it back to the default and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Dave
  9. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Dave,
    thanks a lot for your tests, the informations and the video!
    Now it seems to be quite clear that the error is in the Odrive config or is due to a wrong calibration-setting. To check this, could you pls post your config-file *.json that you will find at c: ... user.....your name....*.json.
    Regarding the firmware: the original Odrive firmware will not work for our sims !! So dont go back! The firmware from @SilentChill and the matching config file is custom made by the company insectatech. I and others also use this with little different settings for our sims.
    So if you send me the *.json , I will have a look if there seems something wrong.
    Wickie
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. dsr999

dsr999 New Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Wickie - I think I may have found my issue.

Motor feels like it has less torque than it should and/or gets hot sitting still while under no load.
    • Encoder has likely slipped causing the motor controller to commutate the wrong windings slightly which reduces output torque and produces excess heat as the motor ‘fights itself’.
    I took the actuator apart and found that the encoder 'ring' had slipped down a little and it was causing the issue above. I tested in mover and both motors worked.

I've somehow managed to damage my odrive now and it won't connect via usb anymore!!!

I've ordered some more and will feedback asap.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave
  11. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Dave, thats good news -great!
    BUT the slipping encoder (that is really sometimes the reason for this kind of behave) does not match to your statement that all three M1 outputs have a problem even when swapping the actuators....but what so ever...
    Regarding your broken Odrive: I dont believe its broken-except you connected the wrong polarity. Did you try to set the driver to libusb win32 (or so)? Pls. See the Odrive documentation for this...
    Or you have to reflash the firmware or your Odive is locked for some reason... there are solutions in the web for this.
    So good luck and success!
    Wickie