1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Voice Control in Games

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RufusDufus, Apr 13, 2014.

1. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,603Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    Hi All,

I came across an app called GlovePIE that allows you to map various input devices to game functions including inputs such as wii remotes, joysticks, mouse, kinect, gloves, etc..

The part I found interesting was the voice control. I have done some experimenting and found it wasn't that great when using a webcam mic, however when I switched to a decent headset with mic the results were very reliable - I was quite impressed!

I have never been very good at looking away from the screen to push a button on the keyboard to change something - usually results in me driving into a wall, so this app seems to be an ideal solution.

Quite easy to setup as well. No install required and there are some example voice scripts that are relatively easy to pick up the basics. Looking at the forums it would appear as though you can get quite complex in your scripts if you need/want to.

I am using Windows 7 on the machine I am testing it. I understand it uses the windows built in voice recognition API so I don't know if that means it will be different with different versions of windows?

So anyway for those that like experimenting like me... Give it a go :thumbs
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    You know this might be what bridges the gap for Oculus Rift (or other headsets) users. My biggest worry with Oculus is that you would have to tip up the headset goggles in order to press buttons/switches. With this software you could just say what you want executed.
  3. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi fellows,
    I use a program in my flight sim (Prepar3D) - called Voice Buddy - it's speech recognition. I give commands like: Heading 241 / Altitude 21000 / well, hundreds if I want - and it automatically does what I would have to do with the mouse... Great little program to use as some of the virtual cockpits have very small "click spots" to make changes.

Something like that would be an answer to the "Rift".

Have a blessed day,

Tom
  4. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
  5. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    I've tried Voice Attack, it's pretty good and there are lot of combinations possible. Only problem was that I'm not native american/english so the program has some troubles recognizing my words :) Or maybe on the other side, I had troubles pronouncing them :)
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good idea except when you are on mumble chat.........
  7. RufusDufus

Balance:
    15,603Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    Good point... maybe it is possible to setup a button on the wheel that when pressed toggles the mic between mumble and voice recognition?

I don't use voice chat in games much so is not really a problem for me.
  8. RufusDufus

Balance:
    15,603Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    Wow if this guys enthusiasm is anything to go by the product is pretty good!

From what I have tried so far with the free GlovePIE, all the same functionality seems possible. I have setup a test script that does a number of the commands he used, now just need to add a few more.
  9. RufusDufus

Balance:
    15,603Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    Hey Tom, Interesting to hear you have already been using something similar already.

I was also thinking this would be great for use with the Rift. Can't wait for the commercial Rift product, I bought one of the first Dev Kits because I couldn't wait - It wasn't good enough for me to regularly use but was definately enough to convince me when they release the commercial product it will be worth getting!
  10. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hello friend,
    With the "rift", that was one of my big concerns - how do you see you hands to make mouse moves etc. - and it never dawned on me that my use of "Voice Buddy" was an acceptable "way" to
    get around that issue with the "rift"....
    Voice Buddy has about 300 base commands built into the program - you can highlight say the one for "ALTITUDE" - then you speak into your mike - "ALTITUDE" and it stores your phraseology and
    voice command. In this case, for "ALTITUDE" , I use "Flight Level" - so, in summary - 1. I "key" my mike 2. I say "flight level 1 2 thousand 3. Voice Buddy sets the altitude on my alt guage to 12000 ft.
    Of course Voice Buddy would NOT work with racing - but I'm sure it would work with flight sim just fine - No different that shutting my eyes, key my mike, calling out my instruction -
    With the "rift" on, key my mike, call out my instruction, then through the Rift, I will see the changes on my virtual cockpit.........
    Well "me" thinks I have the "RIFT" and the HANDS issue solved for Flight Simming.

IF Oculus/Facebook doesn't come up with the voice recognition program, SOMEONE is going to get rich off of a program that will work for racing and the rift.

This is starting to get real exciting now.

Thanks for your reply and input - "Hair Pie", "Glove Pie", well whatever it was that you started this topic with, SUPER IDEA and KUDOS' to you.

Have a blessed one.

Tom
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, but I may have to not be drinking while playing and chatting as my speech gets slurred and goodness knows what the program might recognise my words as.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    yes, I agree!
    but I'm don't really trust this way: I would prefer the solution of Sony: they will add camera in front of their glasses to add some real images into virtual display. That looks easier!