1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Vibration isolation for the cockpit on 6DOF

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Trip Rodriguez, Dec 5, 2017.

?

Is Trip insane?

1. Probably.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Definitely.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Me too!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey guys! The thread is real but the poll is just a joke, hope you don't mind. =)

If any of you have installed isolation mounts between your cockpit floor and the upper hex platform (or if you have some good ideas on how to do it) please post info here for me.

I'm a flight sim guy mostly, so my battle with my sim is always about trying to get it as silky smooth as possible. I've got a lot of vibration and bumps and I want to eliminate as much of this as possible, so maximum vibration/bump isolation is desired.

I even thought about trying to make and install spring loaded telescoping actuator rods to solve this problem, but decided that's a bit of a big project that might not even work out....

Cost is a MAJOR consideration here guys, money is tighter than ever because my wife and I bought a home! How many mobile homes do you figure have a 6DOF motion sim inside them? =D Still paying off the credit cards from buying all my sim components too hehe.

YA RLY.jpg

Thanks for any advice,

Trip
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Where are the vibration and bumps coming from?
  3. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    From the actuators, mostly the gearboxes I think. If I was using the sim for racing it probably wouldn't bother me at all but for flying it does.
  4. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Just an update guys, I purchased four of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASON-4C95...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 (will add more if needed) and I'm going to put them between my cockpit and the motion sim frame. They came today and feel pretty good in my hand. I'm also going to put isolating mounts on the pedals. At the very least this should improve my bass shaker effects, not that they really needed it.

I'll post pics and results after I install them, hopefully this coming week.
    • Like Like x 2