1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Valve Index works with Open Vr - Motion Compensation

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by JMB3D, Jul 3, 2019.

1. JMB3D

JMB3D Member

Balance:
    687Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Finally my wait is over. [​IMG]
    Confirmed that the index works with my motion rig, fully turned up with Open Vr Motion Compensation.

My initial testing this evening on road and oval in some practice sessions went very well.
    I used the 144hz with 100%, motion smoothing and just let the graphics configuration take care of everything else for now, so that’s pretty much all settings on high. Everything was stable.
    I found the headset to be light and comfortable, (less bulky than the Vive Pro), the graphics, text and colours were clear and bright, practically no screen door effect once I dialled in my FOV and IPD.
    I did find the face cushion a little thin and I think that might need a mod, early days must get comfortable.

I had a few glitches with my motion rig, but after uninstalling the Vive software, scan for hardware changes and a general clean up, everything was fine.

I’m using a Vive tracker for my motion compensation device and after syncing it to steam through the new menus it worked straight away, I’ve also noticed I can turn on steam Vr, my controller, the tracker and then Iracing, set the compensation and I’m away, very quick.
    Before with the Vive a had to follow a strict start up procedure to get all to work, which was ok but now it’s easier.

I should mention I’m using three 2.0 base stations that I had from my Vive Pro set up.

It’s still early days with the index but my gut tells me that this is an improvement over the Vive Pro and that will be relegated.

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering the same as me, I recommend the index, I think steam have done a very good job with this.
    When I get time I will do a video of my current complete set up.

Please bare in mind my spec below to achieve this.....
    My Rig - Fasetech Racing Cube Simulator (4DOF) Version 2
    Vive Pro, Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING Motherboard, Intel Core i9-7900X CPU
    Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUAL OC 11GB ,
    Fanatec DD2, v1.5 Shifter, Hand brake, He Pro Pedals, Carbon fibre bucket seat, Wind Sim, Monitor Audio 5.1
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Vitalius

Vitalius Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hello, can you please take some pictures? I currently use Samsung Odyssey first generation and do not have to worry about outside sensors! It would be interesting to see where and how are your sensors placed.
  3. JMB3D

JMB3D Member

Balance:
    687Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    My sensors base stations are I'm the same positions as my set guide and the tracker on the back top of my seat near my head, same as before.
    all I have extra now is a third base station which Is just up on the wall 3 meters away, although you don't really need it.
    link here to set up...
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...lation-time-to-test.10241/page-22#post-160590
  4. Vitalius

Vitalius Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    S
    Super cool! Thank you, You have a lot of space:)
  5. rsbell

rsbell Member

Balance:
    334Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    This is great news! My Index just came in yesterday, so I’ll be spending some time today and tomorrow getting it set up and tested with my P6.

Looks like the Pimax gets sent down to the minor leagues of my static rig!

No vibration issues with the tracker mounting?