1. This Software is no longer supported by us. Please download the new motion control software SimTools.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  4. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  5. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

USO not recognizing COM port (Pololu servo controller)

Discussion in 'Force-Profiler Simulator Control' started by Frakk, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have been trying to make a Pololu Micro Maestro (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1350) working with the USO, but I cannot get it to recognize the virtual COM port.
    The drivers are all installed and there are no problems apparent in the device manager. I have tested it with the provided application and I can also make connection to it with Hyperterminal.

Has anyone tried this before? Any ideas for possible solutions?
  2. dhweizel

dhweizel New Member

Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you use the form \\.\COM1 (with the appropiate number) to add the COM port to USO?
  3. dhweizel

dhweizel New Member

Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry for the obvious frakk, I did not realize you were not a rookie and I made that mistake at the beginning :lol:
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, it seems like I am... :blush:

I have used different types of USB-Serial modules and they have always showed up in the drop-down list, never needed to add like this \\.\COM?.
    The connection seems to be working! Now I'll play with the commands and all that.

Thanks!
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    It may be that COM ports higher than 8 or 9 do not show automatically in the dropdown box. You can easily test this by changing the COM port number in in the USB driver itself and restarting X-Sim.
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have successfully used COM9 with an FTDI adapter that was automatically recognized in the drop-down list, so this will be something else.
    BTW currently the controller is on COM7.

I'm almost sure it is the Pololu drivers, they are non ISA comports. FTDI drivers seem to be very robust and that is the reason why the USO recognizes those non ISA comports just like any other, even above COM4.