1. This Software is no longer supported by us. Please download the new motion control software SimTools.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  4. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  5. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Using Guage Slots MMF to pull out data

Discussion in 'Force-Profiler Simulator Control' started by 40pints, Dec 8, 2010.

1. 40pints

40pints New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I am writing a quick program in c# to read the MMF file for the guage slots to run a simple USB connected serial adapter to drive a 7 segment display. A little bit of code and i can have it running for under £15.

I am able to read the MMF file for the guage slots in profiler 2 and get the gears ok. I would also like to run a shift change light. So I would to read the RPM and compare it against a value to turn on an LED when the revs hit a setable limit. However I am at a loss as to the format the RPM is in in the MMF.

I am pulling the whole memory map in a byte array and manually comparing changes I make in rfactor. The gear and speed appear to just be in there as the same integears as reported in profiler2's input page, but the RPM value does match up.

Can anyone help me to work out what factor is applied to the RPM in the memory map please?
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Why don't you just use the USO to send data?
  3. 40pints

40pints New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All the methods I have seen to do this have involved using a micro controller to ocnvert the USO output to 7 segment, and I am seeing if I can do it cheaper and easier as I have no microcrontoller programming experience. I have found a USB to serial board which will run 8 output pins in parallel. It can be controlled with a c# dll so I can do all the calculations in software and send an integear which corresponds to the 7 segments and one shift light LED.

If there is a way of doing this with USO without the need for other chips then I am happy to have a look at that.

I have got the gear working perfectly. I have tried running a dashborad RPM guage but that doesn't work either. Which ever guage plugin file I use, the needle is all over the place. Which is what I am seeing in the MMF file.

I could use the USO to run a digital output from the Pololu board that I plan to use to drive a small dashboard I have. the problem I have come across for this is that I have to set a minimum RPM value on the gforce math plugin for the axis. So I will have to manually change this each time I change the car manually withing profiler2. Where if I was to use the c# method I could link the value for the shift light to come on at to two inputs on my steering wheel, so that I can change it on the fly within the game.
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You might find what you need here for not much more than £15.
    http://www.symprojects.com/

IMO it is not worth the trouble to do what you are trying to do to save a couple dollars. You are making a big circle around the solution, which is easy to do with microcontrollers.