1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Upgraded my pedals to Hydraulic

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by elnino, Jul 30, 2021.

1. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    So, A while back in this thread https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/new-diy-load-cell-pedals.15142/ I posted the pedals that I made using all load cells.

They worked ok but were still not quite to my liking.

Issues I had were:
    * The load cell on the throttle was too 'heavy' and required a high gain setting on the LC interface. This caused issues with repeatability and temperature shift over time.

* The brake was ok but I was still having issues with braking, it just did not feel right.

In the end, I opted to swap the throttle over to a hall sensor. This was easy, I just mounted 2 opposing neodymium magnets fixed to the pedal with the sensor mounted statically between them - Problem solved.

The Brake upgrade was a bit of a challenge but taking the idea of the SRT 3d Printed pedals, I decided to replicate that with my current setup.

A cheap $20 ATV rear brake caliper, cheap 'trailer' master cylinder, a pressure sensor and some brake lines (as well as a few 3D printed parts) and I now have a hydraulic brake!

I must say, this is simply the best $100 I have spent on my sim to date! The feel is awesome and is so progressive. I never saw the reason before - I do now!

I don't know how this would compare to the other setups that are a hybrid with elastomer bushes on a slave 'pull' cylinder but I definitely felt there was no point in just moving the load somewhere else with hydraulics, this gives a very real feel indeed!

3d Printed rod end is temporary till my proper one arrives...

2021-07-30_14h02_45.png 2021-07-30_14h01_13.png 2021-07-30_14h00_46.png
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    There is no reason this could not be adapted to almost any set of pedals. It just comes down to the mechanics and if you can fit a master cylinder in there somewhere/somehow. I even saw someone that used the original ATV master as well.
    • Like Like x 1