1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Trying to log simtools output to Dof reality

Discussion in 'SimTools Pro & Entertainment Version' started by Spit40, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    i'm trying to log the output to check what's being sent to my dof reality's arduino. I tried setting up interface 6 as a network outputting to port 9000 on 127.0.0.1 and then used microsoft network monitor to try and capture the output. It couldn't see any output though.

Any suggestions anyone for how to make this work, or suggest a different way?
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,505Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    You can modify one of the sample plugins (here) and output the values directly into a file for example.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    That sounds like a fun challenge - I'll give that a go thanks.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    As I'm trying to capture output when flying in AeroFly FS2 I guess I need to start with the source for that plugin, do you have that? Actually I think you did make something close to this when we were debugging the FS2 problem as I recall a version that output data to a DOS window.
  5. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I managed to get the output this way. Set up interface6 as follows and then downloaded ncat.exe from https://nmap.org/ncat/ and ran

ncat -l -u 445 > output.txt

Capture.JPG
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Nice work - :thumbs
    yobuddy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    @value1 @yobuddy - many thanks guys for your feedback. The perfect team! I'm doing this to try and disentangle why my platform doesn't feel right, isolating Aerofly FS2 plugin, Washout algorithms and Platform mechanics. I'm leaning towards the washout behaviour appearing strange. I used the above logging to capture data from:

1) The Extra2 (roll/sec) DOF with washout applied, which I've been using to control my platform roll
    2) Raw bank angle @100%
    3) Extra2 @100%

I then turned off other DOFs, so my platform was only responding to the Extra2. The other DOFs were just for logging and I put them on Axis4 and Axis5. Then I went flying. Rolling to the right, holding it as best I could, then levelling, then rolling to the left. Initially modest 20 degree type turns, then some stronger ones. I captured at 10ms intervals then sampled that data at 50ms and plotted it in Excel and made the following JPEG. Maybe I have washout wrong, but it doesn't do what I think it should. I'm using:
    Smoothing: 100%
    Washout Gain: 55%
    Washout Return: 75%

Here's what i got with some comments on the jpeg.
    dof-testing-fs2.jpg
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    If you're able to look at the washout code @yobuddy, here's the raw hex output in case its useful.
    A=Smoothed & washed out roll/sec
    B=Bank angle 100% = Roll
    C=Raw 100% roll/sec

I'm on holiday for a few weeks from Monday but happy to do any more tests that might be helpful before then.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Remember, to much smoothing can cause delays in tracking, try not to use more than is needed.
    yobuddy
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks. Yes I can see the delays on the graph, but they were not bothering me when flying. Or I should say that the overall feeling was better with max smoothing. Perhaps with tweaks to washout I could run with less smoothing.
    • Like Like x 1