1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

trying to buy parts for tronicgr design board in Australia

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by stowaway, Mar 17, 2009.

1. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive almost ordered everything on the items list for Tronicgs design
    (as seen here : tronic-s-amc-motor-motion-controller-with-pwm-servo-output-t559.html)

Ive ordered everything off an aussie site:
    http://www.futurlec.com.au

And Its goign to cost approx $55 for everything. (PCB board excluded)

a few parts i am missing would love some help:
    4- Capacitors 100nf/100Volts <-- I can only find... 0.1uF 100V Mylar Capacitors .. would this be right? .. or 50V ceramic ones..
    3- Capactiors 22PF/100volts <-- I can only find : 22pF 50 Volt Ceramic Capacitor - Pk.2
    (same with the 18pf)

any help would be great!
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Order the 0.1uF 50V ceramic ones, and the 22pF 50 Volt Ceramic Capacitor.

Also be sure that all the components you ordered are through hole parts, and the chips in DIP or P-DIP packet size.

Regards, Thanos
  3. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks alot for your help tronicgr.

So I have an extremely Steep learning curve here..

my first steps is to re-create your circuits at home.. Im building them this weekend.

once they are complete what si the best way for me to test them? first i will upload the firmware to the chip. so I can make sure that part works.. Then i plan to hook it up to a motor, (can i just get a small elecrtic motor to test this? or does it need to be a big decent motor)
    but then how will i run it? which program can i use to mannually test it?

Thanks again!
    ps- do u have a degree in electronic engineering or something?
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can manually test that the motor is turning to each direction by using the position feedback potentiometer (not connected on the motor axle yet). And then you can use x-sim software to also send values to it later. The x-sim2.0 software can be found here:

http://www.x-sim.de/download.html

and the manual:
    http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/X-SIM_2. ... umentation

No, I have learned myself building my own electronics as a need for my other hobby: Robotics!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEyaQWmQ ... annel_page
  5. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,967 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hi Thanos,

i edited your link to the documentation. I am glad if everyone uses the wiki as source of know how in the future ;D

regards from hamburg-germany, where currently the first sun beams falls from the sky, nice :)

René
  6. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

With some Capacitor and Diodes. if they are 1 watt instead of 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt instead of 1/4 watt will this surfice?
    Im assume that the wattage points to the amount it can handle. so 1/2 a watt more isnt too bad? Right?

( i cant find any 1/2 watt diodes on the site im looking at)

And i also hope that 10uF 16V Radial Electrolytic Capacitor are the correct type of capactiors (there are also :10uF 16V Tantalum Capacitors) I chose the radial ones tho..

Also i assume that all the capacitors shoul be 1% not 5% variation..
    --
  7. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

About the diodes, yes you can use larger Watt. You would had problem with smaller Watt Zeners diodes on the DSMhb (h-bridge) though.

You can use the 10uF 16V Radial Electrolytic Capacitor. All the large capacitors I use are Radial Electrolytic, with not much precision.

Its better not to use Tantalum Capacitors, they are expensive and unnecessary.

Regards, Thanos
  8. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for all ur help! ive ordered all my parts now, 1 part is coming from overseas so i'll have it in a week.
    ill let you know how i go!

can u suggest some good MCU and Electronics 101 books for me to read? I knwo nothing abotu capacitors and diodes and MCUS.
    (i can program so im that way inclined tho ;) )

would love to be able to desgin this stuff myself.
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I've mostly learned electronics by reading the Parallax educational books that gives for free on its site:
    http://www.parallax.com/

Here are the free books
    http://www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx

These books explains everything, from the simple components (resistors, capacitors, transistors...) to the more advanced things like programming a robot in Basic.

The Parallax kits are relatively cheap, and you could just buy a BS2 home board of education to do the experiments described in these books. Or buy a Boe-bot robot to also have fun in robotics.

Best Regards, Thanos
  10. howcani

howcani New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you make your own PCB?
    Did you use ferric chloride or photo resist method? A fellow aussie wants to know!
    regards Colin

EDIT: Did you make the combined board or the two seperate boards?
    Do I understand correctly the latest combined PCB is double sided and the two seperate boards are single sided with soldered links?
    From thoroughly reading through the forum it seems that www.futurlec.com would make the board and mail it to me for quite a good price compared to buying the neccesary bits and pieces to make one board.
  11. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry it took me so long to reply. I didnt notice this message.

I made my own PCB with a Lazer printer, some magazine paper and a PCB board from Jay Car.
    Took me about 5 goes before i realised my iron wasnt hot enough. make sure you get a good one..

i made 2 seperate boards

The PCB is techinically Double sided. However the top side where the componetns are I just used a wire to connect the lines. This is how tronic did it im pretty sure.