1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Triple tv screens suggestions?

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Mku707, May 7, 2017.

1. Mku707

Mku707 New Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello! Im building a triple screen but i am not using monitor instead ill be using 49" or 55" but having hard time looking what brand and model is best for sim racing. The lag time and ect. Someone help me please? And is 60hz okay or do i really need a 120hz? But all tv screens even its 4k only supports 1080@60hz only a few model does but either so big or too expensive. Thanks!
  2. PiaMan

PiaMan Active Member

Balance:
    607Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN5, Arduino
    I use 39" 1080 tvs and while I'm sure there are better options I'm super happy with them over 3 27" monitors. Tvs are rca smart tvs just because that was what was on sale at the time
  3. gin69

gin69 New Member

Balance:
    331Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don´t know the exact model number, but there are some Sony 4K TV´s that support 1080 at 120hz.
  4. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    The Sony Gina is referring to is likely the Sony X830C

as shown here.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x830c

PS
    0.2% 1080p @ 120Hz

So as i said in your other thread, 1080 and 120hz is A VERY small % of unit on the market.
  5. Chris WirenutKv

Chris WirenutKv New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 271Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6, Arduino
    Hello, I used three LG's 32 inch 1080's 60hz and they are fine. Cheap and effective. Having the right size, distance, and combination position can actually simulates a windshield.
  6. Chris WirenutKv

Chris WirenutKv New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 271Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6, Arduino
    Also maybe you should stay away from 4k since it requires lots of GPU. Right now I still believe its overkill until the prices drop. Put the money somewhere else on your build where its needed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Scoyyth1

Scoyyth1 New Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gday from down under.
    Mate I use 3x24 voc gaming monitors and they are great. If you set up your fov correctly it feels like a 1 to 1 car. Don' think like a woman bigger is not always better. Lol

Attached Files:

8. Jerry Atrick

Jerry Atrick this is my sim Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Mku707, in my opinion; cheaper and better pixel quality to use 3 1ms monitors than to go with Tv's that have a lag of 10 ms or more.

Not to mention the weight, you will need a motor just for the TVs.:grin

But the screen, whatever it is will certainly have some real estate!:popcorn

Regards Jerry.
  9. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Last time i checked, sitting in my Car, I Cannot see both L+R mirrors at the same time, Therefor 1:1 it is not. Larger Screens offer this depth of immersion with FOV that smaller monitors will never be able to match not matter how fast said screen may be.

So while you feel 24's are ideal, I Do Not. If we had quality 32" TV's/Monitors for a reasonable $$ that would be the happy middle ground.
  10. Scoyyth1

Scoyyth1 New Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gday Nick. You must have a head Luke a shark. Lol . Check out field of view vids on YouTube bud .
    To get proper immesion(180degre veiw)you must set up your monitors corretly. I have mine set like this.
    Center is 550mm from my eyes and the sides are set up at 45degres from that. No the outer edges of the outside monitors are at the end of my perifial vision. Witch gives you 180degre veiw. If you set your field of view correctly it dose not matter the size of monitors you have you move them closer or further away to get the same immesion.
    Yes my hands are close to my monitors but they are set correctly . I can't post vids yet but when I can I will show the importance of correct fov for full immesion.
    It was a $ thing for me $150 per 1080p 1ms 24 inch monitor @75htz or 4 to 500 for 32 inch tv' of around the same stats.
    Hmmmm 3 monitors for the price of 1 and they weigh 3 times as much as well.
    Imo bigger would probably be better but if its a $ thing like me do some research and you will find the same thing I did you don' have to have the bigget to be the best
    Cheers scotty

Attached Files:

11. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Projector wins!

screen_v4_racing.jpg

Linky : http://www.projectimmersion.com/rig.php

We can all go home now.

Seriously though, buy the biggest triple screens that you can afford with a resolution that your computer can handle.
    No point going 4k or 120Hz if you have a potato graphics card. 60Hz is perfectly fine as higher refresh rates are mostly advantageous for FPS games as opposed to sim racing/ flight sims.
    Response times below 10ms will be completely fine again. With TV's you have to be careful about input lag though as some cheaper TV's can have input lag of around 200ms!!! The better TV's can offer what is called "gaming mode" which reduces input lag considerably but slightly increases response time.

Isn't technology just fun!

Either that or buy occulus/vive :D.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jerry Atrick

Jerry Atrick this is my sim Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Alexey, wow thats how you do it! (a curved projector):popcorn

Jerry
  13. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sweet setup Alexey, Seeing my hands on the projection would drive me Banannas. lol But ya that looks Bad A** i must say. Any way to prevent that issue ? like an Icarus setup or how is that drastically different to yours ? Single projection VS double i guess right ?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    If you were really tricky you could have a cutout placed in front of the projector to block that part out.

This isn't my setup if that what you were thinking.... But I can dream :D.

2 or 3 projectors would be awesome though, as It would enable you to encompass your entire view to give a really great immersive experience.
  15. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ah kk, thought you went and upgraded and didn't tell anyone.:p

Yes the Icarus or w/e its called Wrap around screen multi projector setup looks Rather eye pleasing, the price however, Not so much. o_Oo_O:sos:grin
  16. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    This blows my mind, the whole thread, because yeh, wondering why using this tech instead of oculus/vive. However, many motion sim rides without 3d glasses, say Disney/Universal Studios, have used this style for years, and it looks and feels AMAZING for those that don't barf...like how AR wants to be, but is nowhere close to.

@Alexey definitely curious, do you feel immersed fully, as if there...if focused on your race and stimuli, don't see why not. Cool stuff in this thread
  17. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Right, the hands on screen, so long throw vs. short throw or angles with the screen/ceiling(projector)/body positioning? I'm definitely building for VR, but saw this thread caused wonder :D :D