1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Triple screen setups

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by dre99gsx, Feb 14, 2009.

1. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone willing to share some photos / mock ups of triple screens with their Frex-like design? Looking for ideas.
  2. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I am looking into triple screen too. I can do with some advice please:

I have found:
    40inch Samsung hdtv for around £350 each
    37inch Sony hdtv for £400

What is better for triple screen? Is 40 too big?
    Is the 37inch x 3 the perfect size. I understand that with triple screen setup the image becomes larger???

I have 40inch single screen setup as present but worried if I get 2 more 40inch it would just be too big.
    I rather have smaller if it means being more realistic.

ALSO without opening the pc tower I looked on online manual and it says it has:

1x PCI Express 16x
    1x PCI Express 1x
    2x PCI, 4x SATA

Where does a graphics card go into as I will need another nvdia 9600gt (512mb) please?

Many Thanks.
  3. DangerDan

DangerDan New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The size of the screens will depend on how far away you want to sit. There are many that run 21 to 24 screens and say that you don't need to go bigger but they have to sit 12 to 15 away from the screen which is way to close for my preference. With the larger screens, you also get a better lifesize representation of of the objects on screen.

When choosing LCD tv's try and find ones with the smallest possible bezel size. I don't think you will go wrong with either the 37 or the 40 but try to get 3 of the same screen.

Fahim, the most cost effective and easiest way to get a triple screen setup is to use a single ATI video card that supports Eyefinity, you can use the low cost 5770 or you can go to the 58xx series for better performance. This card would replace the existing card that you have. You will also need an active displayport to DVI adapter to run the 3rd screen when using the ATI solution. These usually run for about $80 to $100.

You can take a look at my 3 screen setup in my simulator build thread ledfoot-s-2dof-simulator-project-t1936-80.html

Dangerdan, very nice screen setup man :cheers:
  5. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I use 3x22 with Eyefinity (HD5870) and honestly I would not go more then 3x24 ... or else I would buy a single 42 to 60 inches lcd or use one projector ...

I personnaly think that the FOV is just unrealistic with larger 3x screens setups ... If we could use very aggressive side monitors angle it would be pretty cool and the immersion would be very interresting but we just can't because of image distortion we would get ... On setups using very large 3x lcd's, it looks like you are sitting in a tank instead of a racing car which is a total turn off for me ... (very personal opinion :) ).

And I am sitting around 32 inches from the center screen which I think is perfect with lower FOV values. With over 60 inches of monitor wide I think I can represent pretty well a realistic cockpit interior size with proper FOV settings.

The great thing about Eyefinity is that it's simply plug and play with pretty much all available games. You simply need to set the proper resolution in game settings. You will also get much more FPS (using the same GPU) than if you use other cheaper options like Softh and even with the internal Iracing tool to rander 3 screens separately ... You can also mount them in portrait mode to give you more height ...

You also have to consider the GPU performance you are looking for... If you are like me and like to set every graphical setting to maximum on lattest games then forget 1080 or 1200 lcd's for triple screen setup or you will need something even more powerfull like the Ati HD5970. I am currently running a 5040x1050 resolution (HD5870, Core I7) and I can still set latest games to max settings except for AA which I usually set to first or second level on latest games (Dirt2, NFS Shift, IRacing...) to get a very smooth graphical feeling even with tons of cars on the grid.

Here is a pic without the motion frame (waiting for my 8020 aluminium pieces and still thinking of the design ...)
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/bleco04/cockpit.jpg

Bleco
  6. Muzza

Muzza New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    I have just purchased 3- 27 Samsung panels to compliment my ATI HD 5970 and it works like a dream, plenty big enough and smooth as silk on my 2.4ghz Quad core pc. The Eye Infinity setup is perfect for multi screen setups as mentioned above. I purchased my display port to DVI for $25AU from Mwave.com.au

I like the idea of larger screens as the realism is possibly increased as objects and cars become more life sized but fear it would be like watching tennis with all that picture to take in.

Im happy with the size of my screens, any bigger and I would need to dedicate an entire room for my sim, I cant imagine my wife would be too impressed LOL!

Im sorry I dont have any pics, Im still completing my monitor stand and should have it all up and running by Monday.

Like Ledfoot mentioned, small bezel is the key and make sure your monitors can be wall mounted or easy to mount together in a frame etc. It took me a day to make my frame as there were no mounting points on the back on the screens. There werent too many available optoins when I bought mine, some were out of stock and I needed to make sure that all screens were the same make and model.

Murray..
  7. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Are you referring to this adapter?

Mwave SKU# 10080174

Because everywhere I have read about this ATI Eyefinity feature; requires you to use an active display port adapter, which costs about USD 100 plus tax, how is it that you have successfully made it work with this one of $25 bucks?

Please advise

Thanks

Robert :cheers:
  8. Muzza

Muzza New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
  9. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    A DP to VGA adapter is in fact an active adapter since it convertes the video signal from one form to another. The DP to VGA adapters work in some cases but results will vary based on monitors being used. The DP to DVI active adapters are more expensive but are the recommend method for connecting a non displayport monitor to the DP on the video card.
  10. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  11. Muzza

Muzza New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    I didnt see mine on that list but its made by HP if that helps anyone searching for a more affordable option. It works perfectly.