1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Traction loss games?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by tikebek70, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tikebek70

tikebek70 New Member

Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I am considering a 3DOF simulator with rear traction loss module.

My question is, are there many games that currently support this? Can you name a few?

Thanks!
  2. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Different profile builders choose different effects to represent rear traction loss. Some call it drift, others slip angle or slip angle rear and others Yaw Acceleration. This all of course depends on the game and available data. Ultimately, traction is part of the games equation for nearly every effect we use.

There is a list on the link above of games that have some sort of data that can be used to create a rear traction loss feel.
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Nearly every profile builder on this forum uses some type of scaled Yaw, Yaw Acceleration or Yaw Velocity in an attempt to provide side to side rear traction loss simulation. Some refer to it as drift.

We are not referring to longitudinal acceleration type of traction loss, which in simplistic terms would be:

FLongitudinal = Ftraction + Fdrag + Frr

We are referring to the lateral grip of the tires and the point at which it is lost and the vehicle begins to rotate. Niels makes his profiles differently in this regard, but even so, still adds what he calls a drift effect to simulate rear traction loss, even though drift may not be the best term for this since drift would be positional in nature and the concept of rear traction loss strives more for that feeling when the rear of the car starts to break loose. Therefore, I typically prefer to use an acceleration value for this.

In any case, we all try to get some sort of rear traction loss simulation in our profiles.

Yet another valuable piece of data is side slip angle which is the difference between the cars orientation and velocity vector:

slip.jpg

All of these are important to give a driver a good feel of his vehicle in the seat of his pants.
  5. tikebek70

tikebek70 New Member

Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your design and profiles seems to work pretty well, judging from your videos on that other thread. Thanks for the link, I had been searching the forums for this info but somehow didn't see it.
    Now my drool factor is up another notch! Can this module work with other DIY chassis? or it is tailor made specifically for the sixperience front-end / seat base?
  6. tikebek70

tikebek70 New Member

Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SimXperience, sorry.
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    It is tailor made for several reasons including some future add-ons. I have heard of other DIY users building their own front ends and putting it on top of the rear traction loss base, but I have never seen any pictures or videos of their final result. Remember that the seat base and front-end combine to form a single rigid unit that sits atop the rear traction loss base. The combined unit must not flex or bow. It pivots from the front and glides on roller balls in the rear. Those that have tried this with aluminum have has problems because it is not rigid enough and bounces. I believe that the bouncing may cause radial load and wear problems with the rear actuator but this is not proven. In short, it's custom tailored and I cannot guarantee results with other lightweight or flexible DIY solutions placed atop it.
  8. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    the yaw aculation is in the moment the best way to becom a driftfeeling.
    for test in iracing min on 1000 max on 600000 in velue 32.in rfactor velue36 and the same min and max.it make a very nice driftfeeling.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OOooooohhhh.... After watching the videos of the sims with traction loss, I am going to design a frame underneath my current sim in progress to have that as well! I'd better get the first one going first though. ;D