1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

The Superslot Simulator with SCN5

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SUPERSLOT, Dec 19, 2008.

1. SUPERSLOT

SUPERSLOT New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all

Finally with enormous delay i have finished my simulator rig, where i have mounted scn5 actuators. ( very frex style )
    I know that the x-sim2 is near at end of development. ( i think )
    Is it still possible for me to enter in the x-sim2 beta groups, for move my rig or must i wait the final release ?

Please if it possible i am impatient to test my mechanic.

Thank you for your response.

Attached Files:

• P1.JPG
      P1.JPG
      File size:
      98.5 KB
      Views:
    • P2.JPG
      P2.JPG
      File size:
      248 KB
      Views:
    • P4.JPG
      P4.JPG
      File size:
      79.8 KB
      Views:
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Your frame looks impressive, but I think you added too much weight to the moving part of your simulator. I think the SCN5, which have only 10kgf each actually, will have much trouble to move this steelframe, and wear out way faster due to the additional load most likely.
    As well the actuator arms are not well placed.

I'd suggest you following:

- Place the actuator-arm joints on the botton as far towards the frame edges as possible to increase the momentum
    - Remove unnecessary weight (steelplate behind the seat, and upper steelplate)

28398927.JPG

Regards
    Chrisitan
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    In my experience, egoexpress is correct. This will definitely cause actuator failure. To be honest, you may even have to replace the angle iron under the seat with something lighter. Sorry to chime in with bad news, but I'd hate to see you destroy an actuator.
  4. SUPERSLOT

SUPERSLOT New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Probably what you say is correct, But i have placed the mass exactly on the center of the gravity When a person sits on the seat, and the steel that you see is thin and the weight of the frame is much less than the weight of a person.

Certainly the design of egoexpress improves the mechanical momentum.

My actuator are 100 mm. stroke.

Now i ask, is it possible for me to enter in betatestergroup to try the actuators or not ?

Thank you for your response in any case
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    However, the increased mass inertia due to additional weight will take effect for sure Imo, even if it is ballanced.

Try it out, but if your SCN5 start to make whining noises, or you have the feeling that they have to work hard, then you should replace some weight.

regards
  6. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Just try it, but as ego said, dont ignor the noise which is coming out of em when they are screaming !
    If you have everything you need you should send a pic with everything mounted to sirnoname i think and you can get a beta key
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Not to keep beating on you about this, but I am convinced that you are likely to damage your actuator. Here is my final word of caution:

Balancing properly is a good start, but to understand what egoexpress is saying, try having someone sit on your seat (without the actuators connected). Try holding them with your arms by the back of the seat. You can feel how easy it is to move them in small increments while their weight is mostly supported by the U-joint or whatever you used as your balancing point. However, move them a couple more inches so that their weight is hanging out over the center point, and feel how much more force is required to bring them back up to the centered balance point. This is where your actuators are likely to run into problems, in high g-force corners where your weight is hanging to the left or right of the balancing point and the actuators have to try to lift you back up. In this scenario, how well centered it is has no impact on the amount of weight that the actuators must lift. You will be surprised how little weight an SCN5 can handle in this scenario.

If you still insist on trying this, please do not strap yourself into the seat for the first test, and be ready to hop out quickly when your actuator collapses down, or is unable to lift you back up.

I am working on a video that demonstrates how to test the stress on SCN5 actuators before driving in game for the first time. I hope to get it finished this weekend.

Best of luck,
  8. SUPERSLOT

SUPERSLOT New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all

Thank you for your suggestion. and is possible that what you say is true.
    But i have calculated the system mechanic ( i attached ), and i have semplified the system as a cube with load of the seat and the driver. Because my weigth is 80 kg, the seat 10 kg, and the steel frame of the seats is 13,125 kg = 103,125 is the total weight.

In my dinamic calculation the stroke is 200 mm, but really the stroke is 100 mm ( more positive situation )

My result ( with 110 kg weight ) is 110 newton ( 11 kg about) the total force to move the system, with an actuator of 200 mm. stroke and factor of security.

But i have appreciated your comment and i will have the maximum safety when i will move the actuators for first time.

if my calculations are wrong I will change the iron frame of the seat with one in aluminum.

Thank you very much

Attached Files:

9. SUPERSLOT

SUPERSLOT New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all

Now i starting with electronic for my simulator this and the list of my purchases:

N.2 usb-rs485 converter (devantech)
    N.2 AMP 172167-MALE
    N.2 DF1b-14DES 2.5 RC MALE
    N.2 USB CABLE
    N.1 POWER SUPPLY 24V 12,5 AMP
    N.2 HOME MADE ACTUATOR DATA CABLE
    N.2 HOME MADE ACTUATOR POWER CABLE
    N.1 KILL SWITCH (NORMALLY CLOSED)
    N.2 SCN5 ACTUATOR (NOW I HAVE 100 MM. STROKE)

And that is all, Is correct ?

I have another doubt, i have one single computer with quadcore CPU is it possible to drive the actuator from the same computer or is necessary another one ?

Thank you
  10. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Thats looks close although I cannot verify the conecter part numbers because I connected mine internally, not externally. BTW-Many power supplies do not come with the cable that goes to your wall so you may need that as well.

Also, be sure to use a high voltage minumum 20-22 gauge wire for the power connections.

I have been successful running everything on a single quad-core PC.
  11. SUPERSLOT

SUPERSLOT New Member

Balance:
    9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks for your suggestions, bvillersjr, I now start :thbup: