1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

The Idiots Guide To Not Being An Idiot

Discussion in 'XSimulator Q&A/FAQs - Outdated' started by Brightonuk, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Or The Idiots guide how not to convert your Frex to X-sim and other costly mistakes.

I write this for all those that are incapable of following simple instructions and read and understand what works and what does not (This is a direct reflection on me) in addition to expecting more and getting less.

I had been fighting X-Sim, The SimExperience Commander, FREX and a Windows 32 bit OS for three weeks and was at my wits end trying to get the software/ to talk to the hardware and the 32 bit XP to work …….But let’s start at the beginning:

I was so pleased when my GTX295 Graphics card arrived fresh from Craig’s List used but looking good, installed on my new home built custom computer boasting an quad core I7CPU 12 gigs of ram and the three games Grid, GTR2 and of course rFactor (All DVD rom versions); THIS IS GONNA ROCK!!!

I was still waiting for the FREX to arrive but decided to try to see how this is gonna look on my PJ and 150” wide screen.
    So after installing a new Windows XP 32 bit OS I plugged in my PJ via the HDMI out the Graphics Card offered loaded Grid and…………….. Nothing.

After a few days of re-formatting, adjusting and overclocking I still could not get any game to show through the HDMI port they were fine on a small 19” monitor but nothing through the HDMI.
    I searched and asked questions on various sites and was told that if I was to install a 64 bit OS it would work fine (It was the 3D Direct that would not function via the HDMI in a 32 bit environment), so I did exactly that, upgraded and set up a dual boot 32 and 64bit Vista
    The graphics were great, trying to drive with a mouse and keyboard on your lap not so good but the FREX was coming!!!

I got that sucker built in a day installed the FREX SimConMotion and booted up, THIS IS GONNA ROCK!!!
    It crashed FREX will not run on a 64 bit system….. but they do warn about that fact if you read up on their site, so back to Google and after trying countless tips and tricks to get a 32 bit program to work on a 64 bit platform re-formatting again I gave up thinking I will just use the small 19” for now, so I loaded up Grid and….. “not supported”.
    OK I loaded rFactor……………. “CD Rom version not supported” so I am left with GTR2 it did work! THIS IS GONNA ROCK!!!well sort of.

Enter X-Sim; supports just about every game on the market through the members profiles and if not something called “Yoda” and will possibly run on 64 bit platform THIS IS GONNA ROCK!!!
    And the conversion just need a couple of RS485’s and some wire can it all be this easy????
    Then I see the manual you gotta be sh**ing me this is way beyond me but I downloaded X-Sim and took the tutorials and………...nothing. I could not get it to work.

Enter SimXpereance Commander this is what the idiot needs we don’t wanna write programs or create profiles just plug in sit down and race.
    So I installed it really was so easy and everything the sim racer needs is there, and super simple but does exactly what I wanted it to do.

And it would have if I had read and followed he instructions of simply “ENTER THE NUMBER OF THE LEFT AND RIGHT ACTUATOR EXACTLY AS THEY APPEAR ON THE ACTUATORS”.

But no I made a mistake and messed up the numbers, then when it would not work uninstalled, re installed, re formatted and re installed the Commander again not realizing that it was a simple mistake of screwing up the serial numbers.
    I then decided to make up actuator numbers 12345left / 12345right not thinking that the number are a integral part of the software being able to recognize the actuators, I mean I know it said exactly but they are just numbers….right?
    Of course it would not work.

By now I am so pissed at the whole sim racing scene that I am ready to flush the kid’s hamster down the toilet and put the FREX up on Fleabay.

In steps Bernie the creator of “The SimXpereance” he offered to look at my issues from my desktop this guy spent two hours tweaking and fixing registry entries I had messed with.
    Then it took him all of 5 minuets to see that I had entered the number 8 in place of a B in the serial numbers on the actuators.
    From there spent another hour helping me configure rFactor to get the best out of X-Sim He even gave me a few bucks to buy a car (I am requesting that he post that tutorial next week.)

So the moral of this lengthy story is: Read and understand before you buy and follow instructions as they are written and don’t make up numbers thinking they are gonna work.
    The commander works great and if like me you are sensibly challenged download it http://www.simxperience.com/Home/tabid/37/Default.aspx and try it!

In closing thanks seems kinda insufficient for saving a Hamsters life and my sanity

But THANKS Bernie. THIS REALLY IS GONNA ROCK!!!
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    @BrightonUK - Thanks for the kind words, The exact reason the the COmmander software was developed was to help people get started quickly with X-Sim and to make the process easier.

For those who are considering converting to a Commander / X-Sim combination, I would like to add for the record, that his first words after driving less than one lap were- Wow, this is alot more responsive than the Frex was. Can I quote you on this on my website? Feel free to correct my quote if I am am remembering it incorrectly.

In any case, hats off to SirNoName for a truly great motion engine!!

:cheers:
  3. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I really cannot fault the software it is truly a powerful piece of programming.
    As an analogy I would compare Widows ME = Frex vs. Windows XP = X-Sim/Commander just that much better.

From my limited use and knowledge of the two, the X-Sim is more responsive and less aggressive than the Frex, I mean it is more life like, not just BANG left turn BANG warp speed just throwing you around. The overall response is a faster, smoother and a more controlled feel, then again I hit the wall in rFactor at 198MPH on purpose as I am sure we have all tried and it lifted me out of the seat!
    Without question the X-Sim has a more real life feel to the driving experience.

I can potentially use any game I own with my Frex hardware, and as this market grows and I have no doubt it will, I see the X-Sim as the driving force (excuse the pun) and 90% of new simmers using the commander as the front end.

I hope that the members who have an above average working knowledge of X-Sim realize a key component of bring sim racing to the masses is ease of use, The X-sim software may seem second nature to some but to others it really is a intimidating program.
    The commander is a godsend and IMHO it will be a contributing factor to the ongoing success of the sport.

Now on a personal note the wife is demanding that Now after three weeks you’ve got you new toy working get it out of the living room so I can watch Dancing with the stars........ Go figure.
  4. danr

danr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am in process of converting FREX to simxperience commander! Where are sn on scn 5 from frex?? Usb to 485 adabters have arrived and want cb assy info as well.
    Thanks
    DanR
  5. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Usually on the bottom of the actuator (Where the small L bracket attaches).
  6. danr

danr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brightonuk,
    Thanks for the reply,yes thay are there,never had a reason to look!
    Dan R
  7. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Hi Dan
    Did you get the sim working with X-Sim?
  8. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

retail store manager (gamestation)
    Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when will you add joyrider support to simexperiance comander
  9. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Hi Pete,

I've been working for many months on a complete re-write of the Commander. The upcoming version shames the original.

I added a feature in the new version that allows for modular setup wizard plug-ins to be created for each simulator type. One of the main benefits of the Commander is the Install-& Drive featur.. This can easily be added into the new version by any .Net developer.

If you can get one or two more JoyRider users to join you in your request, I will build this plugin and and you to the Alpha testing team. We can also talk through the specifics of a JoyRider / Controller specific profile section. So for example, we can add a plugin that configures X-Sim for use JoyRider - Tronic and JoyRider - Pololu, etc.. and a profile sharing section for profiles specific to these simulator types.

:cheers:
  10. Deleted member 4973

Deleted member 4973

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HI, i have just built frex simconmotion and very frustrated with software and time it takes to wake up actuators and games not being capatible. The simexperience software sounds great. So what i have read it will work with simconmotion? what else do i need to do. Sorry iam new to this and require the idiots guide thru:)
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi there, I am in progress of building my own joyrider design frame currently , by using my current sim frame inside and a welded frame for out side roll (3/4 welded today). I am buy electronics in late April. Leaning heavily to Pololu 12v12 boards x 2 and running two wiper motors. Just a note, I am planning more car racing than flight sim, but have plans to use the frame for both. So , do I qualify as another request?
    Thanks, David.