1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Ted's simulator project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ted209, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ted209

ted209 New Member

Scientist
    Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello - and first Thanos, I'm very impressed at your results in motion simulation, it has really inspired me to have a go myself!

I'm aiming to make a simple simulator, like the one recently featured on http://www.simracingtonight.com except that I will be using windscreen wiper motors. My plan is to have the seat with a single pivot at the front, then 2 pulleys and motors at the back will lift the seat off the ground (either both at once for acceleration/braking, or just one for cornering). It's like a wheelbarrow (except with the pivot finely balanced so less force is required!).

My electronics parts list is:
    1xThanos AVR control interface board (+ parts)
    2xRN-VN2 motor controllers
    2xwindscreen motors
    2xpotentiometers
    1xcar battery/PSU

I have no problem in collecting parts and soldering, but making my own PCB is beyond me at the moment.
    If anyone has an older prototype board I could buy, I'd be happy to pay a fair price. Does anyone have plans for a bulk order once the board is finished?

Keep up the great work!
    Ed
  2. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    I would also be interrested in a bulk order.

I checked the prices of a similar pcb and it is not much difference in ordering 2, 10 or even 20 pieces. The total price is slightly increasing, price per pcb is dropping like a rock. :)
  3. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I'm very interrested in the board. Would like to join in.
  4. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I see in the electrical parts list that you want 2 rn-vn2 dual motor controllers. But am i wrong that you need only 1?
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi Ed

Welcome!

Concerning the pcb etching. I order them via a local etching service http://www.platinenbelichter.de for ~15Euro including drilled holes, tinning and shipping.
    If you want to order pcbs, then write Heinz an email to info@platinenbelichter.de.
    His english is very poor, so please prevent to write long and difficult sentences. I talked to him, and offered him to help, if he gets some probs with understanding your emails ;)
    Your email just has to contain:

-the layout file of the pcb (he accepts proffessional formats, pdf and even bmp files!)
    -and the extra options:
    • drilled (gebohrt),
      tinned (verzinnt),
      varnish (Lötlack)
    -and your adress of course.

You'll get an estimate immediatly, which you dont have to reply. Just pay the sum via paypal to info@platinenbelichter.de if you are agree.
    The price including drills, tinning and intenational shipping should be approx 20Euro/pcb.
    The etching service has a bank wire transfer number as well of course, but the fees would be too high. You should prefer paypal.

ego
  6. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ed, welcome.

The simulator you want to make is simular to Yobuddys! A SimForceGT setup! You can consult his design and take ideas.

You mention that you want to use pulleys... you mean like in my joyrider design?

True! You need only one RN-VN2 motor controller if you have 2 motors!

A second RN-VN2 controller is needed only if you want to connect and use 3 or 4 motors! I.e. in 3DOF setup or a 4DOF setup!

Thanos
  7. ted209

ted209 New Member

Scientist
    Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

It seems like my idea is very close to Yobuddys!
    My overall plan is to hack something together using wood to begin with, then when I get it all working, I'll think about making a proper frame.

Thanks for reminding me I only need one RN-VN2!

For my first attempt, I'd really like to keep things as cheap as possible, this is why I'm going for windscreen motors (is there a cheaper way?!).
    I sketched out a quick plan (excluding the pots + a tactile transducer):

[​IMG]

egoexpress, thanks for your advice - that price seems pretty good to me, so I'll try to email him tomorrow. If you think my plan sounds reasonable, then I'll start ordering parts this weekend. It's the electronics I'm most concerned about - also I hope I can find motors + gearing that will allow the simulator to lift the seat by a maximum of about 20 cm at the back.

Ed

PS Just seen Thanos' post about RS232 problems, so will hold off ordering until he finds out more.

(edit:image attachment fixed)
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Please remove the space between the words in the file-name of your pic.

Example: Project_Ted
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ed,

Yes, this could happen in Beta versions! Already had fixed a couple other errors as you have seen from version 1.3 to 1.4... But this had to be tested first.

Its funny, that, the same max232 circuit worked fine with my older BS2 interface but it run then on only 2400bps... while my new AVR interface runs on 115200bps!!!

About your pulley system. You should use closed loop since you need to be able to pull you down as well fast instead of letting gravity do that! It would be interesting to see how you are going to make these pulley systems movable to follow the seat's movements!

Regards, Thanos
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I think 20cm is too much. 10cm should be enough for the design you are going to build.

And I rather would do it like youbuddy, rather than drive it by ropes. with ropes you cannot simulate rumble, as they cannot push the seat^^ :)
  11. SimHawk

SimHawk Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    I can confirm that 20cm is more than you need. I have 16cm travel on my cylinders and find that perfect. I use around 60% movement of that, but it is ok to have the possibility to have a crazy ride with large movements sometimes.
  12. ted209

ted209 New Member

Scientist
    Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I'm convinced that yobuddy's 'fixed arm' method is best!

I guess 10cm will be fine too, I don't want to push my luck with the wiper motors.

I was thinking of buying one of these for the seat:
    http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/215698
    It's available in blue and is about the cheapest thing I can find.

Does anyone have any windscreen wiper recommendations? If they're all the same, I'll go for something like ford fiesta motors, so I can easily replace them if they break. Are some stronger than others?

Ed
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    afaik you get wiper motors for 15Euro. Or try to grab some at the junkyard. Perhaps some bigger cars have stronger wiper motors!??

I dont know if you will be able to fix this seat to the frame. Its more like a pillow with vibrators in it. Similar to ivibe I think.

Have you looked at ebay for a racing seat already?
  14. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ed,

It would be better if you buy some wiper motors that already have an arm attached on their shaft like mine did:

[​IMG]

The arm has a ball joint on its end that can be usefull for mounting the actuator rods!

These wiper motors are from Nissan model '85 :D

And yes, as ego suggested, its better to use a real car seat for its base mounts / slider!! I bought the bucket car seat I use on my simulator for 100euro!

Thanos
  15. ted209

ted209 New Member

Scientist
    Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice.

Thanos, buying windscreen wiper motors with arms does look like a good idea. There are some on ebay now, but I might wait a little to get some cheaper.

I'm thinking of going for this seat now, if I can't find anything else:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Go-Kart-Buggy-Ful ... dZViewItem

Ed