1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Taro's sim - What think about this design?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by taro28, Mar 1, 2010.

1. taro28

taro28 New Member

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I'm a guy from Spain. I've been reading a lot about the forum projects and I want to build my own simulator.

My first design consists on a 2 DOF simulator moved by wiper motors. I'll like to move everything to get good immersion into the game: the driver seat, wheel, pedals and the screen.
    A cause of my really bad English language, i think that is better put some pics of my actual designs :D

This design shows the general idea of the project, the basis will be changed below. Note that the planes isn't at scale and may be varies a lot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the basis I'll use this other most common configuration:
    [​IMG]

I had thought to put the projector just under the seat, close by the pivot motion to minimize the movement of it.
    The image will reflect over two mirrors and will project on the front screen.

First i'll want to build only the mechanical issue of the simulator, without the projector and screen, but with space reserving for put it after.

I think that maybe the wiper motors haven't power enough for move all. It could put various wiper motors at parallel (it's possible?).

Other thing, for the structure i'll planned to use aluminum profile for decrease the inertia. Someone who has worked with it could tell me if with this material with a thickness of 30mm is sufficient for stand the pedals and steering wheel? or it should be have 45mm?

Again, i'm sorry for bad english writing, i'm learning for improve it. :blush:

Greetings
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I like the concept, but I'm not sure how much vibration a projector bulb can withstand and if the vibration will reduce the life of the bulb. Anyone have any data on this?
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think you should put the projector above the head. It might move, but you will need a counterweight anyways. I don't know how those mirrors will effect your image with that huge curved screen, but it will complicate things for sure.

The life of the bulb will depend on the type of bulb and the amount of vibration. The filament in some bulbs can break easily and vibration is sure not going to help.
  4. taro28

taro28 New Member

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HI, thanks for replies.

I thought on that, I cannot found anything. If I'm not wrong, the lcd projectors uses a gas discharge lamp and it haven't any filament inside it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas-discha ... nstruction

By the other hand, the force dynamics simulator uses a normal projector, a Hitachi CP-X260 according to his website.
    [​IMG]

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-CP-X260.htm Don't seems anything special. But this does not say that it don't lose service life. I should seek more information.

Greetings
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you get a projector with one of those lamps it should be fine. I have only taken apart an older projector and it had a halogen lamp in it.