1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Started 2DOF SCN5 Platform for FlightSim FSX

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by toktiny, Jun 29, 2009.

1. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi there,

I have re-examined my previous post over the weekend and realise that I may not have been specific enough in pointing out my problem and would like to explain it more to the point.
    My cockpit is a big heavy unit with Yoke ,Throttle and Pedals built in. It has a Dashboard, O/Head Panel where all of the modules,gauges,radio equip,switches etc. are mounted. In order to use any of these I have to be within reach of both the dashboard and O/H Panel. At the moment I am useing an ordinary office chair,with ButtKicker fitted, located right in front of the dashboard to control all functions.

I am very keen to replace this seat with a Motion PlatformSeat and have looked and examined practically all of the Platforms which have been constructed by members so successfully ( i.e. Thanos,Egoexpress,Ringorumble,Schnullerbacke,Xriccardo,BvillersjrDre99gsx,Tom Theisin, Mr.Burns and many more ). The first one that struck me as being suitable was from Thanos so I went ahead and got the plans from Ken Hill but when I examined it more closely found that my Seat would be located far too much away from the controls mentioned above and each time I wanted to use them I would have to, leave the seat ,walk forward to dashboard or O/Head panel, use controls and then go back to seat !! I quickly realised that this was not an option.

I looked further being a bit more aware of what I was looking for and behold I found Mr.Burn's platform and I was over the moon because I realised that with a few minor modifications this could position my seat within reach of my controls. I studied all his wonderful directions and saw no problem in contructing this platform with all of the help which he has provided and could not wait to get started , I practically had the SCN5's ordered when *** STOP THE LIGHTS *** my heart sank, the one thing that that I had completly overlooked was that this platform was built for Car Racing and would it work at all for FSX Flight Sim ?

So we have arrived at my specific problem. I would very much like to build this platform but do not know whether it will work at all or not with my FSX . From what I have read from all of the wonderful info. that is available on this site it may not provide me with exactly the optimum performance for a flight sim that other types of platforms can ( i.e. Thanos type) but can it provide me with an acceptable performance which I would be prepared to accept ? I mentioned above about minor modifications which with my very limited knowledge I am thinking down along the line of a more flexable Pivot and four corner Bungee ties instead of the rigid rods ? Will the X-SIM software accept a Flight Sim instead of a Raceing Car from this platform?

I would be most apprecative if someone could advise me on this and hope that I will be able to go ahead. One last thing, how do you place a picture in a Forum Topic ? It is my intention ( Providing someone gives me the OK to proceed with my platform ) to show my progress and this can be shown much easier with pictures.

Thanks again for your time.

Toni
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Re: Type of Platform for Flight Sim FSX ?

Hi Toni,

XSim provides a FSX plugin (from Peter Dowson), which feeds the Profiler with motion data. It does not matter for XSim, which type of actuators you will use. You are able to use a SCN5 setup for FSX for sure.

Though I am not sure if the motion range of a SNC5 setup will be that satisfying for a flight sim. A 3 or 6 DOF would be more adequate imho, but way more expensive for sure.

You are able to upload pics by pressing the blue upload tab underneath the grey send/save buttons.

Regards
  3. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Many thanks for your reply. On the question of a 3 DOF, could the extra SNC5 be added to Mr.Burns type platform ? If so where would it be located ? When you say way more expensive that it is not just a matter of the extra cost of one more SCN5 ?
  4. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Hi Toktiny in my experience with flight sim platforms ( i might add Limited ) i think you will find that due to the size and load of your current setup realistically speaking SCN5 or SCN6 wont do the job , i may have misunderstood your request but it seems that were talking about quite a lot of weight to be moved around and at 10KgF i cant see ( But dont Quote me on that LOL:)) the SCN's moving that amount of weight. Some one here has used AC gearMotors ( Approx £200.00per unit) with Inverters and X-sim he may be the Guy to speak to .. More specs asto your current cockpit size and weight may help the guys to give you some more feedback :)
  5. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi there,
    Many thanks for your reply but I am afraid I have no intention of including my current cockpit in the motion platform. The platform would be really a replica of Mr Burns platform with no more to provide motion to than he has.In other words the platform is totally independent of my existing cockpit, you would need an elephant to even attempt to support it !

I attach a copy of myexisting cockpit to give you an idea of what I am trying to do.

Toni

Attached Files:

6. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, there is a way to include your entire cockpit in a motion platform... If its built large enough:

academy-of-aviation-s-full-motion-flight-simulator-kfrg-t1744.html

This kind of simulator isn't that expensive as it seems from mechanical point of view. And cheap AC motors with VFD motor controllers could move it with enough speed to simulate most commercial airliners airplanes motion or g-forces.

Thanos
  7. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanos many thanks for your reply but I am afraid that I am not in that league ether with money or experiance !!. I will be over the moon if I can complete what I have outlined above. One thing which I wondered which came from Egoexpress above when he referred to the Motion Range regarding I think to the degree tilt. Would it provide a few degrees more if I upped the SNC5 from 150mm to 200mm ? or would that make any difference at all ?

Toni
  8. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Wow wow and then some thats some nice work and kit you have there, now i understand what you ment :) ok Platforms are out Lateral thinking now on my part required :) impresive work Congratulations on getting that far im still dreaming and making ( always making never finishing LOL:) )
  9. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Would anyone be able to advise me on what I asked about whether to use 150mm or 200mm SCN5's would be of any advantage for better performance on my Flight Platform ? I am just waiting for an opinion on this before I order same.
    Many thanks

Toni
  10. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT

Hi Toni,

IMHO 150mm are more than enough! I even assume 100mm is more suitable for your purpose as you can not move too much away from your switching panels. Otherwise you couldn´t reach them any longer :)

A pro for the 150mm is the more lateral space you get to simulate curve behavior.
    The maximum speed of the actuators is too fast but can be regulated for smooth slow movements, so that it could feel nice to fly with them.

regards
    René
  11. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Rene,

Many thanks for your reply and what you have said is like music in my ears !! Its like letting a greyhound out of the traps !! I will go ahead now and order the SCN5's and get started on the frames. I will need direction on the regulation of the actuators for a slower speed but that is down the road a bit so when I get that far I will ask again.I am sure that I may have to ask for help before that though but I will keep my fingers crossed as there is so much help available on the various forums that all of you have placed at the disposal of us newbees.

One small thing was the exact size of the female rod ends for the shaft of the SCN5 I am finding it hard to locate. I checked the Mirai site and they have it as M10 with 1.25 pitch with right handed direction . I have tried the source sites recommended by BVillersjr and Mr Burns but can not track them down, perhaps someone has the part number ?

Again many thanks for your help

Toni
  12. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

That's right. Quite exotic thread size...

However, I gathered some cheap and standard M10 1.5 right hand rod ends, and then I've cut a 1.25 pitch into it. Fits perfect...

Regards
  13. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0

For these rod ends www.worldofcnc.com
    regards Ad
  14. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My sincere thanks for your help and just to let you know that I ordered my SCN5's today and also the rod ends from where you directed.

Toni
  15. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi there,

I have now got almost everything on order and a lot of the general stuff I was able to pick up locally such as Aluminium Box Section, Seat, Universal Joint and nuts and bolts etc.

However quiet a few of the american sites informed me that Ithey were no longer supplying abroad due to additional restrictions that have been imposed on them so I had to do a fair bit of shopping around to pick up some of the stuff. I realise now that the Car Racing interest in the site far exceeds the Flight Sim interest so when I get everything up and running I intend to keep to keep the site informed as with the help that you are all giving we might be able to get a motion platform with SCN5's to perform for us Flight Simmers with a good performance !!

I have Two SCN5's , Two Daventech USB, One 6.4A Metapo Enclosed Switching Power Unit and the Rod Ends and Brackets on the way, however , as I said in my first mail, this is the part that scares me. I have attached as much info as I can below and wpould be more than grateful if someone could help me with connecting up. I have read and seen nearly all of the invaluable help on this but can not find a wiring diagram for this combination of equipment . I should add that I have selected all of them from the recommendations taken from the site and am posative that from the members experiance it is the right one. I have not included in the items such things as cables between the SCN5's and the Daventech and the Daventech and the PC and power leads between the Metapo and the SCN5's but I assume that these can be aquired locally ?

As regards the tweaking of the Profile and finer adjustments in the software this can follow later but for the moment while I am awaiting delivery I would like to know and get myself familiar with the wiring up of the components.

My sincere thanks in anticipation.

Toni

Attached Files:

16. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

Hi Toni,

you are on your way to realy build a motion simulator, so i move your thread into the DIY motion simulator section, if you agree ;) Feel free to give your topic a suitable name so other guys can find your flight sim project easily.

There are many wireing diagramms here...did you looked for them carefully enough?
    http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/Racing_S ... onnections
    post9756.html#p9756

When your components arrive we help you with puting them together ;)

I am looking forward and i am excited to see a scn5 sim for fligt sim purposes. AFAIK that would be the first one here.

br
    René
  17. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Rene,

I have just written a post to you but I am afraid that it never got posted so I am just checking to see if this gets through !!

Toni
  18. toktiny

toktiny Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Rene

Many thanks for your reply.

I replied with a post but for some reason it did not get through. I did not keep a copy of it so I have learned my lessen and will keep a copy in future I have no idea where it went so I will attempt to rewrite it. By the way do I write a new topic to change the title as you suggested or just change the title on this one which I dont know how to do.

In answer to your question about looking up diagrams , I have an individual file here for nearly everyone that has built a motion platform on the site ! I will explain to you , on looking over the platforms I felt that the nearest to what would suit my cockpit setup were those of Bernard and Mr Burns so I will take Bernard's one as he used a Daventeck USB to RS485. I have attached a copy of his wiring diagram below for reference.

From what I have read I dont want to cut any wires on the SCN5's so I will use whatever alternatives are available to avoid this. I take it from the diagram that for power on the SCN5 the default connector is the JRS Connector and for data the default connector is the RS485/RS232. Is that correct ? Now in the diagram it is made perfectly clear what wires to use for these connections but what I am a little fuzzy about is what type of connectore can be used with both of these to provide a set of lleads that can be fed back to the 24V Power Supply and Davantech respectivly?

Now Bernard includes in his parts list two DB9 Gender changers and I wonder if these are connected to what I am trying to say ? One other thing, he also includes in his parts list Actuator Power Cable can I assume that this refers to the connection between 24V POWER and 24V POWER SUPPLY in the diagram below and that Actuator Data Cable refers to the connection between RS485/RS232 and the DAVENTECH as shown below ?

I am extremely sorry for what might be considered as stupid questions but being retired I have learned in my career that it is better to admit what you dont know rather than pretend that you do as it can make you look a bigger fool later !! Please be patient with me .

Kind regards

Toni

Attached Files:

19. Kruemel

Kruemel New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's recommended to add a killswitch and a zener diode for protection.
    More and detailed infos: scn5-hardware-thread-t1083.html

Attached Files:

20. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

Hi Tony,

in the hardware thread krümel mentioned you should find all answers.

About the connector question: You can buy the connectors at components store (egoexpress knows where from). I only found the connectors to buy in high quantities which i didn´t need, so i decided to cut the wires (only the 4 needed wires , not the whole connector) If the actuator should be damaged in future i don´t belive that the manufacturer refuse my request of warranty only of the cutted wires. That would be not appropriate for a industrial product. In our case, there are other reasons why the warranty could be declined or not :)

I assume you pressed the SAVE OR PREVIEW button and not the SUBMIT one. You have to take care about the different functions of them :)

br
    René