1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

start of the pain

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by peter1970, Oct 19, 2010.

1. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

retail store manager (gamestation)
    Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi i am starting my project now, hmmm just before christmass so it will go on hold soon till after.

i am planning on building a joyrider to learn more about what i am doing with all the software and electronics, then i have my own design which i will build when i have made all my mistakes on someone elses design.

so i hit my first problem straight away, i found a place to get all the tubing cheap but cant get all the connectors from them.

i have found somewere els to get conectors and did a test shop ordered a 2 5ft schedule 40 tube and a 2 right angle conector from each of the two company`s.
    but when they arived the connection seams loose there are no gaps round them but the right angle conector will just slide off quite easy.

so my question is will the loose conection effect the stability of the structure in which case i will have to find a new supplier
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Just drill them through and use screws to lock the together and make the connection tight.

You want the structure to be as rigid as possible.
  3. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have decided to use aliminum box section instead i think it will be sturdyer and cost less
  4. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i will post pics as i go along it will mostly be just photos as i hate typing due to being dyslexic and cant pell at all
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    A picture says a thousand words!
  6. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just a question Peter: Did you men start of the plan or do you think it will be a painful process building a sim? Anyway velcome, and dont be afraid of the typing as this is an international forum and there is a lot of different gramatics here. :thbup:
  7. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi no i did meen start of the pain as i am not practical at all and have had to go out and buy a load of tools just to build this.

as i cant afford to buy one and i want one more than i ever wanted anything in my entire life :)

so an idea has come to me but i need help from someone more inteligent than myself.

if i use a bearing in the frame that will take a 1 shaft on a joyrider based sim then i extend the shaft out of the frame i can fix a sprocket on the end of the shaft and as the shaft is in a fixed location i can put a chain round it and wont have any problems with chain tension as both ends of the chain will be in fixed locations.

but i am now moving all the motion controll into the centre of the movement so i am losing all the leverige from having it at the extream end.
    what i cant get my head round is weather losing the leverige is making the motor work harder or actualy making it easyer for the motor.

any ideas guys
  8. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to see pics or drawings of what you are planning. Its easyer to give ideas to you if you could post a drawing of what you are thinking. This forum gives a lot of help, thats my experience.
  9. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok chair, box aluminium, and bearings have arived so i will build cockpit on sunday.

i have decided to start in the middle and build out, easyer to adapt if i measure something wrong, rather than getting into the middle and finding my chair wont fit.

it will be a joyrider style but with some ideas of my own thrown in, when its done nobody will look at it and say joyrider.

Attached Files:

10. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  11. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well built the cockpit today.

feels great to be started and i never new an angle grinder was so easy to use.

will get pictures posted tomorow

to exhusted now

still no responces about the motors
    it is a joyrider sim made from aluminiun box section
    anyone know if the motors will work as they will be so much easyer to mount than wiper motors and i think they are faster but i dont know if they are strong enough i hope so as they are bi directional so no modding
  12. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    right thinking about the motor.

as i am useing my own idea for how to move the sim useing a chain and sproket if i change the size of the sproket i make the motor more powerfull but slower.

as this motor is rated at 170rpm and wiper motors are 40rpm i will want to slow it down anyway so i just need a realy big sproket to drive it loads of power ok speed.

i think i will order two and play.

i will keep you all informed on how i get on.

sorry for all the posts but i am realy excited about this project it has given me a lot to think about i lie in bed at night thinking diferent ways to design parts of the framework (how sad)
  13. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It will be interesting to follow your project Peter. I think you are working fast. Have you thought about that the chains might give some slack, and also be noisy? I guess you find a way to make them tight! God Luck further with Your pain! :thbup:
  14. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes noise isnt a concern as i always game wearing an astro a40 headset.

as for chain tension i just plan to mount the motor were the chain is tight, as i am driving the pivot point direct instead of the outer points, there will be no change to the tension at any point in the movement.
  15. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i also feel this will look far neater as i wont have the big bolted on parts for pullys
  16. SimonUK

SimonUK Member

Electronic Engineer
    Balance:
    705Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hi Peter,

Good luck in starting your project.

Its definately a good idea using chains. You then have no problem with any belts slipping or getting slack. Also they are virtually silent in operation.

I'm glad I converted my joyrider to chains. You can see my project thread here: http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/start-of-a-joyrider-based-simulator-t1804.html

I did have a problem with getting tension in the chain but this was solved with a bungy cord. However it sounds like it will not be a problem with your idea.

Make sure you take lots of pictures as you go along.

Simon
  17. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The motors are worth a try, you can always swap them for a stronger one if needed.

I also like the chain idea! You can easily change the gear ratio, but be careful with your fingers! You have to put a guard on the sprockets.
  18. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    fingers in chain wont be a problem as it is going to be an enclosed cockpit and the chain can go on iether end so plan to put it against the wall.

i cant wait to get this project finnished as i cant get it out of my mind, last thing i did last night was read this forum, first thing i did this morning is read this forum.

i need to finnish and get my life back

shame i have run out of cash at the moment and run out of mettle but get paid friday and can buy more then, i plan on 3 months from now total build time as i wont have much cash each month on the lead up to christmass
  19. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    to simon uk
    before i started my build i read every single project on the forum yours did catch my eye as you had a new way of mounting the chains on the front for the roll movement.
    upto this point i was a copyer copying the plans direct trying to get pvc to build.
    yours inspired me to be a builder and redesign everything trying to find the best way of doing it not just the same way everyone els has,
    so ty to you for that
    oh and while im thanking peaple tronic if by any chance your reading this ty more than anyone you are amazing i only started this project after stumbling on your video on youtube and then finding how much help you give ppl on this forum and how much of your valuble time you give up.
  20. peter1970

peter1970 New Member

Balance:
    355Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi guys sounds big headed but i belive my design is the best joyrider design so far.
    so just in case when its finnished anyone wants to copy it i have decided to post my parts list as a nice easy shopping list.

all metel ai aluminium sections easy ordered in uk from http://www.metals4u.co.uk/
    2x3000mm 1x1 box section
    3x2000mm 1x1
    5x2000mm 4x1
    3x2000mm 2x2
    1x1000mm 1 tube
    1x2000mm 1wide flat bar
    2x good qualaty bearings i got mine on fleebay (i used http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT)
    2x sprockets 1 small 1 large (wont know exact sizes till all built then i can experiment)
    2x lenghs of chain
    2 12v12 motor controller or tronics amc and hbridge (im eventualy getting both to see which works best)
    2 x dc motors your choice
    2x hall sensors
    1x racing seat

total cost around £1000 :eek: so it will take a while as i will buy a few parts each month