1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Request (Feature) Some possible added featured for later release?

Discussion in 'SimTools DIY Version' started by Bruceaust, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Having used " that other software" for some time, it has a few features that would be very useful in Simtools:

1. Sliders to adjust axis input variables "on the fly" whilst in the game.
    2. An ability to create and save profiles for different cars ( ie. in one for mazda, another for Lotus etc) within each game/sim

Well done with all the work put in so far.
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    This you can already do via the game manager live mate, run game in a window with profile editor from game manager side by side, adjust main level for an overall restrictment or click on editor and change individual forces and then save as a preset(create) , all explained in the manual.
  3. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I guess what I mean to say is, the way I have done it previously - editing the profile on the second PC ( equivalent to the game engine PC), as I have always run 3 screens in full screen mode on the Game PC. I have never run in window mode on the Game PC.
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,913Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    you could always 'alt-tab' outa the game and adjust the profile.
    I would always change the individual forces over using the main level.

In my honest opinion, the 'main level' in the profile is really only good when you want to smooth out a ride for a younger/older rider, or when used with a flying game.
    Changing the individual forces in the profile editor actually alters the Max/Min limits per vehicle and will give you the best output to your sim.
    yobuddy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I agree that the max and min values can be adjusted in the profile of the Game Manager. But it is the settings available in the Game Engine that are the most useful when developing a Car Profile - access to filters etc.
    A combination of Max/Min Values, Filtering from the Game Engine plus configuring your Motor Driver PID settings are all settings that need to be considered (discussion welcome). Thus, having access to the Axis Assignment variables whilst actually "driving on the track" would be very useful in developing a car profile.
    I don't think Sim tools can do this at the moment?

Any thoughts?
  6. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,603Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    I have to say I am with you... I would love to be able to change the Axis Assignment settings tab in the game engine while the games are running. I guess there are (at least) two types of users, those that want the simplest interface to just get in and use the sim and Simtools does this extremely well. Then there are "fine tuners" like me that are always looking to see "what if I change x" and for me to have to exit the game to make a minor adjustment and then restart slows me down. :grin

I am happy with Simtools as it is if it suits the majority, but would love Bruceaust's suggestion to be added as an enhancement if possible once all other priorities are out the way.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,913Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    I think thou, depending on the simulator, having everything live could be a really dangerous.
    And the more stuff you have live the slower the engine will become.

Having 9 adjustable values live is a lot faster than having 6DOF values and a lot of filter values for each of the 6 axes. (that would be a lot more info). So this is a way to get the best of both worlds. Fast Engine with Live Adjustments.

The idea is you can set a base profile up that works for the game, and then fine tune it per car, if need be, with the profile editor in game manager.

Adjusting the Game Manger 's individual profile levels changes the raw Max Min values of the game and there for it changes what the Axis Assignments % means for all axes of the game.

So if Axis1 is set to Roll in game manager for game X.
    you can adjust the roll slider live for game X in game mangers profile editor while playing the game to get the perfect output for your sim.

hope that helps to explain it a bit:cheers
    yobuddy
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Having them live so to speak , yes would be good. I know when I am writing profiles, I have to pause game and exit game manager to then change percentages of forces. So the motors/jrks turn off. Since the game is pause nothing is moving. If something can be set so we can change percentages of forces while game manager is running, it would be good. This would make it slightly less headache in setting each force and number to get the motion right, and not have to exit game manager each time, then restart it when I want to test it again.
    Yes I know we can adjust tuning centre with all going.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Agree Dave, I too have found the quickest and easiest method to change axis in the game engine while still in game is to close the game manager from the status bar, you will now notice the Game Engine has disconnected and you are free to change anything in the Game Engine, once right , just double click the Game Manager and it all connects again and you can continue to test in game. This really is only needed when you are setting your base profile for a game, when changing cars etc, if you base is written well all you need to do is change forces via the Game Manager profile editor.

Maybe we need a button or some method in the Game Manager to disconnect and reconnect. Instead of making everything live and slowing the engine. One of the ideas of SimTools was to make it resource light so it can hide in the background and we can enjoy our games at their top frame rates, etc.
    Maybe an alternative.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    continuing this important discussion--
    I see the logical method for writing a"Car Profile" is to take the Max/Min Values for each Axis for that particular car, then mix and apply filters to those Max/Min values to arrive at settings that are
    applicable to that car. ie I think the Filters should define the car profile, not the Max/Min values or in simtools case, the adjustment of values in the Game Manager.
    Taking this logic one step further: Game Manager could assign the game plugin, then the car profile could defined in the Game Engine.

Just had a thought! :)
    Maybe the Game Engine could have a screen button to stop it and allow adjustments to be made without stopping the game or the Game Manager? ( this would be a step closer to the method suggested in this post)

11. soraz

soraz Member

Balance:
    5,158Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    i have same problem.
    i use real rally in full screen with different cars, but if i do alt-tab to change game profile in real rally i have a black screen.

i suggest to implement an option to select game profile and disable auto set on game start.

best regards
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Real Rally ?, dont you mean Richard Burns Rally or is it a mod for this game. Issue will be with mod as with RBR I can alt tab even in a race and it doesnt crash , pc or game.
    To me sounds like you want simtools to act and look like the old software, yuck.
  13. soraz

soraz Member

Balance:
    5,158Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    custom make bad jokes...
    yes the game is Richard Burns Rally (2004) with added italian mod from realrally.it for on-line championships
    i have a shared pc as "game station" with this game and mod.
    every user want a personalized profile (and more one) for game with simtool.
    we want know if there is any way to save more one profile for the same game (GameEngine AxisAssignment cfg file)

best regards
  14. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,913Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    you could create a preset and load and save it before the race.
    But using game manager profile editor you can do the same thing.
    just set the profile you want to use for the game and launch it.
    yobuddy
  15. soraz

soraz Member

Balance:
    5,158Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    ok, thanks.
  16. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    We totally need a pause button to disconnect...right now I task out and end task the game manager, make changes and then reboot it without leavign the game. just a slight pain in the but
  17. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,913Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    in 2.0, the Game Manager has a "pause button" (Go,Stop) button.
    yobuddy
    • Like Like x 2
  18. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok cool send me that...
  19. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,795Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Just a small one from me, (and I'm sure it's already in place in v2) ... But the ability to resize the windows so you can see all the Axis at once without having to scroll from side to side. Would make at a glance checking easier, not to mention screenshots for the forum :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yeah, if we had an overlay in game that would be awesome