1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Solomotorcontrollers

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by PeterW, Jun 24, 2021.

1. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi all!
    Some days ago, I recognized that there is a new motor controller from solomotorcontrollers.com available, that could be a good and maybe easier alternative to Odrive for the bldc driven actuators.
    Maybe I want to order a controller for first tests, but before doing this I wanted to ask, if somebody here has any experience with this controller?
    Wickie
  2. ikesimuladores

ikesimuladores New Member

Balance:
    80Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I'm going to buy it and see if it works on a stepper motor actuator
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0
    Hi PeterW, I'm curious why you're interested in the solo drive since as I understand it, you are up and running with odrive.

I will admit that I've been off the odrive wagon for a while due to the easy and performance of the industrial servo drives. However as I look into ghelmets I need back drivable high torque motors and that is only around with these outrunner bldc motors.
    So now I'm thinking about this stuff again.
  4. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi cfischer,
    thats a really good question and I had to think for a while to find the right answers.

So here are the reasons why I would like to try another bldc motor controller although Odrive works really good now in my sim.
    - I would love to have a single-controller, so that it can be integrated into the actuators. Odrive is (still) for two motors. (Note: I have two chinese single "Odrives" called "Odesc3.6" that wait for testing )
    - I would like much better support from the develeper than I had from Odrive
    - I would like a automatic motor tuning function
    - I would like to have a better UI
    - I want a better documentation of all the commands and how to use them.
    - I want less emi-effects
    -.......there are many more reasons and experiences with Odrive, but as I am a electronic noob, I dont want to judge them officially.
    Also I am allways hunting for a better solution for everything - until it seems perfect imo.
    Wickie
  5. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,181 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi,

I'm not at home, but take a look here:
    https://docs.simplefoc.com/bldc_drivers#high-performance-boards

The simple foc library is great (of course, it brings foc control).
    And you have some suggestions there for controllers.
    Some really compact you can put over the motor. And from what I remember some include the sensor already.
    Been looking at them for a while.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0
    The simple foc firmware looks really cool. Loved this sample project.

I forgot about the sound these bldc controls make when they work. High pitch whine. Thats a bummer. I wonder if anybody has built controllers that switch faster than 20khz for silent operation.

As I understand it FOC is the way for any robotics application (like ours).
    I was looking around at bldc motors and am blown away at the torques of these things. I attribute that to only listing max torque and outrunner design.

https://flipsky.net/collections/e-s...otor-6354-140kv-2450w-for-electric-skateboard

https://flipsky.net/collections/e-s...ess-dc-motor-battle-hardned-63100-190kv-5000w

Crazy!
    • Like Like x 2