1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Lesson So much trouble - with so easy fix!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Raredog, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Raredog

Raredog Active Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    I have been using my DIY seat mower https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/2-dof-seat-mover-with-cv.8613/ for over 6 years now. I've had some minor problems but it has worked great and has seen a lot of use.

But the last 3-4 months I've had a lot of problems with Simtools just shutting down randomly. I've tried replacing JRKs, adjusting settings, measuring temps and found nothing wrong! Some times I heard this USB disconnect "alarm" so I have tried changing the settings for USB sleep and numerous other things, but the problem persisted.

Yesterday I decided to look into grounding and equipotential bonding and found out that I have been using "Schuko" plugs all these years... In Denmark we use these:
    1.jpg

But because of EU regulations a lot of things come with these Schuko plugs:
    2.jpg

As you can see, it needs to have the earth-leg in the socket, and we don't use that... So that means that a lot of things is not connected to earth - including both my simulator and my PC...o_O

After changing these, all works flawlessly! I should have noticed this as a former electrician, but it has not been a problem for so long, and I have no idea why it suddenly is - but I hope this knowledge may help others :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2023