1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question SMC3 utility's relationship with SimTools?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Nicki9knuckles, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Nicki9knuckles

Nicki9knuckles Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Motion platform
    I am guessing this might be a noob question, but I am confused about what the relationship is with the configuration that I set up in the SMC3 utility app, and Simtools? I am not importing anything from the utility app into Simtools, does Simtools somehow grab the SMC3 configuration? Or should I be importing that config into SimTools somewhere?
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hello @Nicki9knuckles SMC3 is only a sketch to configure an Arduino to act as a motor controller. The SMC3 utility is the tool to configure the arduino once the sketch is loaded. It allows you to tweak the motors for better response. SMC3 Utilities must not be running with you load Simtools. (I know, you already know this).

There is no direct software connection from SMC3 software and Simtools, it merely acts as an interface to the motor drivers. If you put in the correct serial information in Simtools for your Arduino the two will talk to each other.

Follow the instructions to get your motors/drivers set up and then exit the utility. If you need to go back and tweak them further exit Simtools to do so.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nicki9knuckles

Nicki9knuckles Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Motion platform
    OOooohhh! so the changes I make in SMC3 utility is actually getting saved back to the skectch on the Arduino? That makes a lot of sense! Thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. amilivian

amilivian New Member

INGENIERO EN TELECOMUNICACIONES
    Balance:
    114Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino
    You could see some projects in progress in "DIY Motion Simulator Projects" that show you step by step the configurations with SMC3 and then with Simtools