1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Simulator with linear actuators. Mechanical limit switches required?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by motiondynamics, Feb 25, 2022.

1. motiondynamics

motiondynamics Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,035Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SimAxe, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hello dear passionate friends, sorry for my way of writing, I'm Italian and I use Google translate to write in English.
    I am a simulation enthusiast, until a few months ago I used another simulation software (X - ***), but I abandoned that system because I did not receive assistance on the Forum, old or missing plugins. So I decided to use Simtools because they told me it is much better for so many reasons.
    I am building a kit of electric actuators and I am currently at a standstill because I do not know if it is necessary to use the mechanical limit switches to prevent the cylinder from exceeding the maximum mechanical limit "Max Limits".
    A friend told me that the mechanical limit switches are not necessary because there is already a software control (SMC3Utils V1.01) that programs the EEprom to avoid exceeding the maximum "Max Limits".
    In gearmotors (rotary movement with mechanical arms) I have never used mechanical limit switches because obviously they were not necessary, but for the actuators I know that you need to be careful.
    I therefore need your help in determining if you need to use them and, if necessary, how to configure the maximum limits of the mechanical stroke of the cylinder. I've already read this thread:

LINK

but I am very confused and I need your technical support and your experience to determine if it is absolutely necessary to use the mechanical limit switches and how to set the parameters of "SMC3Utils".
    Thank you
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    smc3 uses potentiometers to sense position - so you do not need limit switches
  3. seuszok

seuszok Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    485Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Use smc3 as Gadget999 said. When You will have build concept to test - remove arm from motor and adjust potenciometer to Your movement needs. After that check with arm but not connected to rest of construction.
    If looking corect - plug conection frame to arm but if not go back to adjust. Remember to check pot connection to rest mechanism (motor or gearbox) - his angle must be fixed and cant be changed during use .

if You use h-bridge that tutorial will be helpfull:

https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...3dof-motor-driver-and-windows-utilities.4957/
  4. motiondynamics

Balance:
    1,035Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hello gadget999,
    Yes, I know that it uses potentiometers to detect the position of the motors (target), I use these in fact.
    My doubt is only about the mechanical limit switches, which in linear actuators are mounted at the top and at the bottom, to prevent the internal cylinder from bumping into.
    I would like to understand if these mechanical limit switches are essential or if the SMC3Utils tool is able to protect the mechanics by itself (at a software level) without the use of mechanical limit switches.
  5. seuszok

Balance:
    485Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    That was confuse for me too. But software works great and if mechanical all conection is tight ... its safe.
  6. motiondynamics

Balance:
    1,035Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks guys for your help.
    Let me explain another essential thing: I have abandoned the use of gear motors (potentiometer connected to the slow shaft of the motor), here the limit switches were not essential.
    But I'm building a linear electronic actuator system, with potentiometers of course. But linear actuators have the only problem that you have to avoid banging the internal mechanics against the two ends (top and bottom).
    Here my doubt arises: is EEprom programming via SMC3Utils already excellent for excluding the use of mechanical limit switches?
  7. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

what type of actuators and potentiometers are you using ? do you have photos ?

the limit switches may break the power to the motor keeping it safe

alternatively you could connect the limits switches to an arduino and add some code to stop motion or reverse motion if they are sensed

in my experience some linear actuators that have internal limit switches will automatically stop
  8. motiondynamics

Balance:
    1,035Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I currently have no photos to show because I have recently abandoned the gearmotor system and am switching to the use of linear actuators (self-built).
    The potentiometers are 10K multiturn (5 turns).
    I know that the SMC3Utils tools are used to program the EEprom of the Atmega328P for the protections, i.e. there are the following 2 safety limits:
    1) The "clip input" limit, if the cylinder exceeds this limit, the motion of the motors will be reversed
    2) the "Max Limits" limit, if the cylinder exceeds this limit, the electric power supply to the motors is interrupted
    However, I would like to know one fundamental thing: using the linear actuators, with the whole system off, the weight of the platform will go down (obviously) making the cylinders move all inside, exceeding the "Max Limits" limit. So what happens?
    As soon as I turn on SimTools, the motors will not be powered ??
    I ask the experts to answer this fundamental question.
    Thank you
  9. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    the smc3 will try and power the actuators into the correct position - if they resist and dont move in the right direction within a period of time the motor will shut down

you can adjust / over ride this in the smc3 code

what is the pitch of your actuators ? 5 turn pots may not give you much movement

you can buy linear pots that have a longer amount of travel

(I have designed a board called the SMC6 that allows the use of encoders so pots are not needed - i will release it soon)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. seuszok

Balance:
    485Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In my case I was have to adjust Max Limit out of mechanical range but clip input in corect safety distance .
    By gravity they dont wake up at start when was to close (my conection bent litle bit during many turn off hit to end mechanical position... and lose that border)
  11. motiondynamics

Balance:
    1,035Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SMC3 (Simtools) or SMC3 Utils?
  12. seuszok

Balance: