1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Simulator project. Pleas Help me!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Lugie, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am now think about doing a simulator used for a sort of rollercoaster riders I have the dvds I want to use if I start building one. Here is a picture of what I probbably will buy as a starter kit since I am tottaly new to it.
    http://www.simxperience.com/Portals/0/S ... 80-004.jpg
    What I dont know is if the actuators is too short to make really good effects for a rollercoaster rider.
    And the last question is how and when I can start programming the motions of the dvd. Can I do it right away or only when the simulator is done and connected to the computer?
  2. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    for a rollercoster is a joyrider mit more angel better. with a raceseat you only have
    10 degree for and behind. for a nice rollercoster feeling you mast have more as the dobbel.you can start without simulator for a profil install x-sim and than start the video plugin.but you dont can make a good profil without a sim but you can test and learn the software.
  3. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks for all answers, my problem is now to find 2 actuators that works with the rollercoaster ride and a box I can directly plug them in to that is connected to a computer. I have tried to search on google but I dont know what and where to find a pair for a resonable price. I offcourse also want the box to work with the x-sim software.
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The simxperience starter kit is great because you don't have to make it yourself.

It will however be more suitable for racing type simulators. It is very fast and strong, but the range of movement is limited.

For a rollercoaster a joyrider type simulator is more suited because you can simulate greater g-forces. On the flipside, you have to build it yourself.
  5. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes I know that and I probabbly going to build one my self, but what I asked was more like where on internet I can find/buy actuators and a box that is working together with them. I hope you understand that I dont know so much since Im new to all this. Thanks in advance!
  6. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can a Joyrider type simulator be powered by SCN6's? If so, then you could still use the nice and simple SimExperience controllers.
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Re: Simulator project. Please Help me!

These are all interesting comments especially given the timing.

The SX-3000 is designed to run 3 SCN5 Actuators. You will find that 3 SCN5 actuators can successfully power a well designed JoyRider at a rate of speed that outpaces the SCN6.

The SX-3000 can also power two SCN6 actuators and one SCN5. You will find that you will be able to power a well designed JoyRider in this configuration as well. (NOTE: You will need to perform your own wiring mods in this scenario)

The SX-3000 will not power three SCN6 actuators. This is where the upcoming SX-4000 will be targeted toward. It will power and control 4 SCN6 actuators via a Single USB 2.0 port.

If your desire is to work with SCN6's, I would recommend the SX-4000 when it is available because it will ship with cables that are designed for this purpose. The SX-3000 includes cables that are designed for the SCN5.

I do not have an expected delivery date for the SX-4000. It is an important project, but it not currently my highest priority investment.

I look forward to sharing my current projects with you in a few months. As you are all aware, I am a fan of open information and knowledge sharing in these forums. Much of my upcoming projects will be made availble for consumption and review here in the X-Sim forums.

:cheers:
  8. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Simulator project. Please Help me!

But the 150mm actuator will with my thoughts be too short for my purpose. Is there any actuators that are longer? available somewhere? Since I dont want to spend too much money on the project I will go with only 2 actuators and use the similar type of contruction as the picture above, but I will makeing the chair a bit higher and a foot plate connected to the chair construction so it will float with the motion of the chair. How would you built a joyrider with 2 actuators? any suggestions are welcome?
  9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  10. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Just an FYI, the simulator pictured above is mine :)

A 200mm actuator would be WILDLY excessive, possibly even dangerous in this configuration. I definitely do not recommend this with our seat base design. You will be amazed at how potent the 150mm actuator can be in this design!

The JoyRider and Seat Moving designs are competing theories. In the coming months, I plan to introduce an entirely new concept as well. With regard to the seat moving design in use on a Roller Coaster Sim, it really feels pretty nice. AThe difference is that you represent the G-Forces instead of the pitch of the seat. Also, the one thing you can't get though is the extreme forward and back motion, such as the ability to be looking at the ceiling when going up a hill.

The JoyRider has the ability to orient you toward the ceiling or floor, which makes it good for roller coasters and flight, but less realistic for racing IMHO. I'm fairly certain that most would agrree.

Given your choice to go with a seat mover design, I would definitely recommend 150mm actuators as well. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
  11. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well the upgoing/downgoing motion is something I worring about with this construction so my thought was to put longer actuators to make it able to go forward and backwards more. But it is not easy to find a better construction with just 2 actuators.
  12. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    The seat moving design is the picture that you posted whe you started this thread. As the designer of the product pictured, I am suggesting a maximum of a 150mm actuator with this configuration. As others mentioned before, if your only interest in Roller Coasters, the Joyrider design is a better fit (which can also be powered by SCN5 actuators if built and balanced properly). My design is optimized for racing, although it does a fair job of coaster simulation.
  13. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found a good version on youtube that only use 2 actuators but it is hard to see how everything is made with the construction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5TknWau ... sponse_rev
    If I would have a picture of something similar to that one but a better construction picture to see how everything is putted toghter it would be good. Thanks for all help you give me I really need it.
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    What you have pictured here appears to be done with air cylinders, not electric like the SCN series of actuators. Pointer is a member her in the forums so he should be able to comment.

IMHO, this design is not optimal for use with electric actuators though.

This amount of movement is well suited to flight and roller coasters, which if these are your only objectives, you should consider DC motors and Tronics project.
  15. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi,
    riton have make a sim with 380v motors hi have many power.
  16. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I took my time to look around on internet I found this construction type http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDk1ndGWLQ what kind of actuators do I need for a construction like this and what will they cost each? this one have a platform that can move from side to side but that is something I dont need or want to build.
  17. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    These are hydraulic actuators. One of them with the controls cost more than a low-end car. All 3 will run you costing more than a cheaper house.

I guess first you have to determine the amount of money you are willing to spend and your ability to build something. The more you build the cheaper it will be, that if you build it properly and not break a lot of parts in the making.
  18. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can build most of it but the connections and a box for the actuators is something I dont have so much experiense on, so that is something I want to have finnished like plug and play. I was more thinking if there is any cheaper actuators that could be used with that type of construction. It is hard for me to set a limitation cost for my project when I dont know what the minimum required actuators cost, and the actuators is the parts that is the most exspensive for me.
  19. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you mean in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDk1ndGWLQ they are not hydraulic its belt drive by AC motors.
    http://aeroweb.cz/Obrazky/Image/Topinka ... ohled1.jpg
    http://aeroweb.cz/Obrazky/Image/Topinka ... kladna.jpg
    http://www.motion-sim.com/
  20. Lugie

Lugie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so they is belt driven, but is there any other options for actuators that is sold separately since I will built the rig on my own and not buy a complete simulator.