1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Simtools motion speed control

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by PhilXI, Jan 7, 2018.

1. PhilXI

PhilXI New Member

Balance:
    401Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Guys

Newbie here so apologies if this is a dumb question.
    Along with position information, does simtools actively control speed when moving to a new position too? and how important is it to achieving good movement.

I ask because I picked up an old commercial sim platform a while back that I though I could use as a base. It was manufactured around 1996 and from what I can tell it never made it into any sort of production so theres no information about it other than a single flyer. It has a complete hydraulic motion system which fires up, the electronics are complete but hook up to a controller board and/or game boards which are missing. It looks like individual games from the 90's were modified to add specific movement commands.

The unit currently consists of:

2DOF frame with pivot + bodywork
    Drive motor, pump and pressure relief value
    2 hydraulic rams (approx 4 inch movement)
    2 directional control values (soft start, not proportional)
    2 control value amplifiers
    1 PLC

I can probably get this working by controlling the control value amps with an arduino and hooking into simtools but there appears to be no way to control the ram speed, hence I was wondering if controlling the motion speed is an important part as this appears not to have been factored into this design at all. I am guessing that it probably is and maybe this was just a cost/design decision at the time.
    I am considering dropping the hydraulics and replacing them with 2 worm motors.

Thanks.

Phil