1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Simple sequential shifter.

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by iWill, Jan 6, 2016.

?

What drives your choices in building your simulator?

1. Realism

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Cost

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Simplicity

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Domestic arrangements

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iWill

iWill New Member

Retired [early]
    Balance:
    511Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I have admired the lengths some people will go to for realism in their racing sim cockpits. However, I must do things that are cheap and easy.

I just bought a Logitech G29 wheel and pedal set, and discovered that since the wheel can turn 900° lock-to-lock the paddle shift gear levers are often NOT where I expect them when I need them. So I figured I needed a sequential shifter lever. But I didn't want to buy Logitech's, nor did I want to go to a lot of trouble to make one.

Fortunately, I had picked up a Mad Catz PS2 racing wheel from the local recycling shop for $AU2.50. It had an attached sequential shifter. I cut it off.
    MCatz cut off SS.png
    I wired the two switches to a Teensy USB development board, and programmed it to act like a gamepad and treat the switches as buttons 1 and 2. Teensys are small, easily configured as gamepads or joysticks and programmable using the Arduino development software.

All this was very easy, but in testing I found that the parts were not held together firmly enough, since cutting the sequential shift unit off the main game control weakened it. One final, extremely technical solution was needed. I used a small Coke can to hold the sequential shift unit together. It works well. It may not feel like a real sequential shift gear lever, but it was cheap and does the job.
    Sequential shift lever.jpg
    The lever is firmly attached to the rig, is easily found by your hand while you are concentrating on the screen and only requires the lightest jab to do it's job.

At the moment, the only "job" the Teensy does is providing the sequential shift data to the computer, but I have plans to make it also support a handbrake, and an intrument panel.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I too use the teensy (++ 2.0) for my sim rig. It is a great little board with huge potential
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. iWill

iWill New Member

Retired [early]
    Balance:
    511Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately the plastic sequential shift lever keeps failing. So I have started on a replacement using whatever scraps I have lying around. OK, actually I spent $14.00 on the right springs to put in it to give it a firm action. Here is a picture of the old and the new. The new one is still a work in progress. It will re-use the micro-switches from the old one. seq.shift old new.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  4. iWill

iWill New Member

Retired [early]
    Balance:
    511Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Here is a video of a test of the new lever. Test done using DiRT 3. I was a bit agitated and drove aggressively because the Steam server was playing up and I couldn't do my first test on Pikes Peak in DiRT Rally.
    • Like Like x 1