1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Shared Memory Data Ouput Option

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by IanH1960, Apr 10, 2009.

1. IanH1960

IanH1960 New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All,

I'm Ian from the buggies.builtforfun site and this is my first post here. I've read many of your posts with great interest and am always impressed with the level of knowledge and achievements of the forum members - keep up the good work...

Apologies if this post isn't in the right place..

I've had a look through your documentation and can't see that you have a Shared Memory data output option in X-Sim?

My reason for asking is that I use PID Servo Software with integrated PICAXE based hardware to drive my platforms and am interested in trying it with X-Sim. The servo software normally pulls its position demand data from my motion driver via a shared memory area on the PC. If X-Sim was able to create and write it's position outputs to a memory area I would be able to read them directly from my servo software and run the platform from the X-Sim data.

I've been able to improve my servo control recently using the newly released PICAXE X2 chips which run at 40MHz to improve the servo loop refresh speeds and to get full 12bit position feedback resolution. It also allows in-program PID gain adjustments, different PID settings for in-air/on-ground situations and a virtual oscilloscope to trace the servo loop behaviour as it happens.

I know that there are already some great options available from Thanos and others for hardware on the forum but it might also be of interest to X-Sim users to add another easy build hardware option to your list of compatible systems.

If there is interest in adding a shared memory output option I can give some info on what data formats would suit etc, but the needs are fairly simple - position demands in better than 12bit resolution, on-ground indicator byte etc, a few others perhaps.

thoughts?

Ian
  2. IanH1960

IanH1960 New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    perfect

thanks...