1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

setting up mover profile first time for 6 dof hexapod

Discussion in 'FlyPt Mover' started by hannibal, Oct 1, 2022.

1. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i like to refresh my understanding for setting up a mover profile.
    i believe the RIGS module is the where the important parameters have to be entered,

please correct me if i am wrong, but this is my understanding for the rig paramters
    Middle - total physical length of actuator at half of its full stroke plus the actuator itself
    Range - half length of the actuator stroke range
    L1, L2, L3, L4 - as depicted in mover

RIGS Center of Gravity (CoG)
    i am not sure about this one. can it be the following?
    a) point at where the base of the chair is located relative to the center of the hexapod?
    b) point at where your butt is placed on the chair, relative to the center of the hexapod?
    c) the center of the hexapod?

Singularity Angle
    I leave it at 10 degrees, though i dont think my 6Dof will ever reach this angle, it would be nice to know how to figure out the best value.
    **i did a test with a mover profile loaded with thes rigs and a thanos configured with the singularity at 1 degrees, didnt seem to do any difference as if i had it at 10 degrees...

Bit Position Output.
    seems like most users of Thanos AMC has this at the value of 16

Gain and Auto Gain..
    left it at the value of 1.

I like to just ask, at the end of the day, after setting the RIGS parameters, if i send a LOOP source with amplitude of 10 over to a POSE to register and output of 10 degrees, IS THE RIGS supposed to simulate 10 degrees of movement?

@SilentChill @Pierre Lalancette @wannabeaflyer2 @pmvcda @SeatTime
  2. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I may have a few of the answers:

Middle and Range are well depicted in that picture:
    rig.jpg

If I am not mistaken, the Center Of Gravity is where the rig will turn. Its pivot. So, if you want to simulate a real car, you put it a bit aside and behind you so the rotation of the rig simulates the rotation of the car. I always put that to my hips in the rig, because putting it somewhere else may limit the movement your rig will be able to do.

For the calibration in the game, I always go to that video.

I hope this will help you a bit.
  3. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i would set the CoG for the car or plane in the Source, which is separate from the RIG?

hey @Pierre Lalancette ! long time?
    how have you been? are you still motion simming?
    im thinking of making one of those belt tensioner things like @Peacemaker105 and @SilentChill
  4. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Right now, I do not motion sim, as my rig has been down for more than a year. My last video date is from Oct 2020. It may be even 2 years almost. I moved it to my other house as I want to implement SeatTime 3 actuators rig. I would also like to build a custom seat out of carbon tubes and plates driven by bicycle brake cables. But I am missing 2 things right now: Time and Money—the 2 most important things needed for simulation.

For the COG, it used to be called the Center of Rotation in the RIG. I didn`t even bother with it at the time.
    asseto.jpg
  5. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I use 1.0 for the gain in DCS and it works perfectly for me as demonstrated in my video, so I don't understand why it does not work for you? @Pierre Lalancette Yeah really loving my new setup (can also adjust the COR to were I like) as it is so convenient for my use case. Really concentrating on sorting out just the visual side of things now and can relate to how expensive life is now days especially when I am retired. Have to have patience and save my pennies :). All the best :thumbs.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    the video by @pmvcda that @Pierre Lalancette shared is helpful.
    i just wish there was one for DCS, like insight more into tuning for flight sims.

let me ask another question.
    if the game sends telemetry of 45 degrees of roll
    and let say if you want to have the 6Dof respond with only 15 degrees of roll, is it better to adjust the IN gain (pre filtering) or better to adjust the OUT gain (post filtering) for the final result?

@Flymen @dureiken @SilentChill @pmvcda @BlazinH
  7. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It depends if you want to treat the signal with filters (out) or if you want to make sure that the signal never reaches higher than a certain level (in).
  8. Klaus Schmidinger

Klaus Schmidinger Member

Balance:
    302Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I'm doing my first steps towards switching to FlyPT Mover with my DOFReality P6, since I'm not very pleased with what the default SRS (Sim Racing Studio) software does. While configuring the rig, I also came across the "Center of rotation" and, like @hannibal, was wondering what exactly that is. The popup help says "Position of point around which we do rotations". The fact that there is also a COR parameter in the source module (which is mainly important for big airliners) leads me to believe that this has nothing to do with the position of the pilot's head. However, in order to generate precise motion cues that stimulate the vestibular organ, I would think that FlyPT would have to know the position of the center of the pilot's head relative to the platform. After all, it makes quite a difference whether the seat is mounted on top of the platform, or whether it sits in a cradle (like with the DOFReality P6), and wheter the seat is moved all the way back or further to the front. Am I missing something here? What would be the proper COR in the rig module for the P6?
  9. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  10. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
  11. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The center is where you want it. It is the center of the vehicle you are using: car, plane.
  12. Klaus Schmidinger

Klaus Schmidinger Member

Balance:
    302Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    OK, so as far as I understand this, there is always exactly one COR (which is the same as CG), and that's the point around which the vehicle rotates. There is a COR parameter in the RIG module and one in the SOURCE module. They both define the same point. The one in the RIG is for small offsets (like in cars or small aircraft), the one in the SOURCE is for big offsets (like in airliners). Here's my thoughts about this:
    - The RIG should describe the rig hardware, independent of the actual game/simulator in use. Therefore there shouldn't even be a COR parameter in the RIG, because only the game knows where the COR of the simulated vehicle is.
    - The SOURCE is the right place for COR, even for small values, because you want to use the same rig for different sources, without modifying the rig's COR.
    - I believe that the position of the pilot's head in relation to the platform's top level is of importance when it comes to proper generation of motion cues. It makes a huge difference whether the head is high above the platform's top level, or (for sake of argument) below that level. In the first case, a roll to the left would move the head left, while in the second case it would move the head to the right.
    - I don't know whether the formulas @pmvcda uses even include a parameter for the position of the pilot's head, but if they do, maybe it would be a good idea to use the existing COR parameter of the RIG for this, and take the actual COR of the vehicle only from the source module.
  13. bberger

bberger Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My understanding is that the COR parameter in the rig is exactly that? It should define the point around where we want to do the rotations of the hardware rig. I've set mine to where my head is (-180mm in surge) on my 3DOF rig and the motions it created felt instantly better and more natural (pitch and roll feel like that and not like heave/surge/sway anymore).

While both COR correction parameters define the same thing I'd use the rig parameter to define where I want mover to place it's virtual center point and use the Source module to define the offset in the car (even for small values it kinda feels "right"-ish).