1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Resolved Second PSU?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Nicki9knuckles, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Nicki9knuckles

Nicki9knuckles Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Motion platform
    Hey all,
    I have a 2 DOF rig with a 3rd motor for traction loss. I have 3 - 180w 12v 50:1 motors. Right now I run everything off a single 600w-12v PSU like this one:
    Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 1.46.43 PM.png
    And honestly it runs pretty good this way. I am having a few issues with one of the motors used in the 2 DOF part where if that motor is sustaining a lot of load everything shuts down for a second. But then comes back on again a second later. This sounds like I am tripping the PSU to me. I guess it could be the IBT-2 shutting down as well, but the fact that I can sometimes hear the PSU fan stop for a second makes me think its an underpowered PSU issue.

My question is do you think I would solve this issue by adding a second 600w psu and running one of the 2DOF motors plus traction loss motor to one, and the other 2DOF motor plus my IBT-2 cooler fan to the other?

Thanks!
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    It may work, but in my experience the ibt2 is not powerful enough
  3. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thanks for the reply @Gadget999
    What have you used in place of them? And do you know if there is any instructions on here for how to wire the alternative?
    I was considering chaining 2 ibt’s together, I found a wiring diagram on here for that and it seems pretty straight forward.
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Look at my build - they can deliver 100 amps

Use a car battery to supply plenty of current - the power supply keeps it topped ;)
  5. Nicki9knuckles

Web Developer
    Balance:
    518Coins
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just to follow up on this, in the end, I bought a second PSU, and connected 2 motors to it and connected 1 motor to my existing PSU. I also added a second IBT-2's to each motor. So they are chained together.
    Since doing this, I have had no issues with shut downs. I've also been able to run my Sim rig with someone much heavier than myself in it, and the motors have not had any trouble.