1. Hundreds of coffees, endless nights of debugging and coding, and countless feedback by our beta testers led to this new major release. SimTools 2.4 is probably the version with the most upgrades and improvements in a single release ever. Look at everything Dustin has included:
    SimTools 2.4 all features.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,492Coins
    Ratings:
    +207 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ozheat, I don't know for certain if you were intentionally abrasive there or if it just came across that way but I suggest you edit that post to something more politely worded.

I will respond anyway, doing my english to english translation thing.

SeatTime and BlazinH have both stated in this thread that, when possible, it's better to move the driver against the seat than it is to have the seat apply pressure to the driver. This much more closely matches reality.

In a forward acceleration a normal G-seat would simply push forward against the driver's back to simulate the pressure of being pushed back in your seat. The thing is that the actual movement of the driver is opposite what it should be. I believe that SeatTime's design here is meant to allow the driver to actually move backward into the seat like he would in the real world, while still applying forward force with the paddles to simulate the pressure of being pressed back into the seat. Pretty ingenious if it works.

The big question in my mind is how to accomplish a really good cue in this manner for deceleration (negative acceleration) aside from just tightening the harness. It seems to me like moving that back panel forward to move the driver forward in the seat would still feel like a positive acceleration cue because of the feeling of pressure on the driver's back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    14,789Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,694 / 30 / -1
    Keep in mind however that while we agreed its still just opinions (ours) and there necessarily isn't a right or wrong way or doing things, mostly a preference. And when it comes to some forces its nearly impossible to simulate the cause properly so all your left with is to simulate effect. Either way there are going to have to be some trade-offs made most of the time.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Yep as @BlazinH said, there will never be a perfect system for our small sims. But I can attest, how much more immersion a G system will bring to any motion sim. My sim even though it is a 6DOF, feels 'dead' without them.

Using my new seat today with NL2. Not perfect (don't think that will ever happen), but it is getting close.
    It's working very well and the paddles work basically the same as the GS5 seat. So the seat is basically a Gecko + GS5 seat with a active harness. I am very happy with it so far :) and as you know I have tried a few different systems.

Video I did today of testing with NL2- unfortunately not much to see G seat wise, but you can see my body moving if you look closely.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  4. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,492Coins
    Ratings:
    +207 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks for the video clip SeatTime. I'm thinking that I'm going to use your vest idea, but modify it to suit me. Remember when you posted about thinking you might crack a rib in the F-18? That's my kind of immersion! I will of course have safety features to prevent serious injury but it I can pull enough g's for it to actually make me back off... that's a dream come true!

I think I'm going to have the vest basically permanently attached to the seat. You sit down, then pull it around you and attach the velcro in front. I also want the head mover, probably move it with small bungees so it's not dangerous. I'll have to see about adding additional features to the seat after that.

I've committed to building my second 6DOF sim now, I found an awesome price and bought the motors/drivers so there's no going back now! I'm planning on about 450mm of travel, and it has to fit in a 7 foot by 11 foot space but I think I will maximize the footprint within those constraints to make more room for the legs and side consoles. I don't want to use the sim for really big angles once I've got a G-seat, but I do want really big heave travel. If I had my way I'd build one with more heave than the NASA Vertical Motion Simulator!

I just really, really want a solution to the bass shaker issue with motion compensation. Since I'm a flyer I either need software motion compensation or a fully enclosed cockpit combined with a HMD that has only on-board sensors, and using only modest pitch angles on the 6DOF. I love my Index so I probably will stick with the first option.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    New G seat add-on. Bottom Paddles - it only gets better :).

New G Seat bottom panels.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  6. BlazinH

Balance:
    14,789Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,694 / 30 / -1
  7. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Cool :thumbs.
  8. BlazinH

Balance:
    14,789Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,694 / 30 / -1
    I hope you have better luck. I experimented using bladders to raise and lower my flaps and was able to get satisfactory results for a few laps but then my motors got hot. I even tried with two 600 watt motors albeit they were only 12vdc. Too much friction moving air thru hoses back and forth at the frequency needed for racing. I didn't test with flight however. And if you go with larger hoses to move more air it gets spongy.

I've thought about trying bowden cables instead with a cam or lever somehow but my priorities have been developing the rest of my g-seat since you can get heave of sorts already from almost any motion rig. And I'm under the impression that using high torque servo motors for this is probably a fail in the long run but I would love to hear otherwise.

I'm interested in how your experiments turn out with the way or ways your are trying but I understand if that's part of your top secret stuff. ;) If you tell me here though I promise I can keep a secret or two. :D
  9. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have tried bladders and found they were only good for light and long pressure tasks. I am using my old Bowden setup to drive all the paddles, slides and parasitic G systems, so it went together pretty quick. I am using the bottom paddles to give that sinking into the seat feeling you get when climbing in a aircraft (heave), or braking in a car (surge) as the 6DOF does a pretty good job for the normal heave, surge etc. With the harness and multi-moving seat back, it feels really good. With these new realistic plug-ins where the rig barely moves, it is were I get all my long motion cues from. I think a G seat/system is almost mandatory - the rig really feels dead without it. Remember, in a aircraft heave is the most predominate motion/force that you will feel.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019 at 07:35
  10. BlazinH

Balance:
    14,789Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,694 / 30 / -1
    Thanks SeatTime.

I have solved both of those issues. Both surge and sway feels and works great. The other day I got muscle cramps due to having the pressure dialed up more than what I was acclimated to. But surge and sway are low oscillation events compared to heave and that is where the overheating issue arises. But with the few laps I could get in before this happened heave was bliss too. What I really like about bladders though is they allow a great amount of flexibility allowing each user to adjust some aspects so pressure is applied in the locations that gives them the best individual experience.

I used my bottom paddles for pos. and neg. heave only and use a different solution for applying surge forces. While I have a 3 dof rig with heave plus traction loss I've downgraded to a 2 dof with traction loss for testing with my g-seat so I was attempting to replace the lost vertical heave with heave on my g-seat (attempting to make it more compatible with WMR). So I was applying heave forces opposite of you. My g-seat software allows every dof to be reversed and adjusted while on-the-fly though so its easy to experiment without having to stop to alter axis assignments.

Agree 100%. A motion rig needs only to supply visual and vestibular cueing while a g-seat or system is necessary to provide haptics.

On a side note I've also solved the leaking bladder issue.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019 at 15:13
  11. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    With the success of my current G system setup, I'm seriously think of stripping down my 6DOF and using all the hardware for a full blown 'G capsule', basically a 12 channel G system + sub-sonics. This will allow me to drop the capsule to the floor, which will make access so much easier and reduce its footprint. With the capsule being basically stationary, it would also simplify allot of the other mechanical systems and with the inertia so low on the moving parts it will be very fast/reactive. Note that similar to my current G setup, it will not just be pressure based, with key areas still able to move within the capsule. It won't be a 'cheap' or simple system (although I will mainly be using what I already have), but I think it will be very effective and excellent for simulation, oh and no issues with VR and motion cancellation :). If you told me that I would be thinking about doing this six months ago, I would have laughed at you :rolleyes:.
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019 at 01:43
  12. BlazinH

Balance:
    14,789Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,694 / 30 / -1
    I love it :). What a far out but groovy idea :cool:. If anyone can make it happen you can bud :thumbs. Would love to see what you come up with but I understand if you go dark ;).