1. Hundreds of coffees, endless nights of debugging and coding, and countless feedback by our beta testers led to this new major release. SimTools 2.4 is probably the version with the most upgrades and improvements in a single release ever. Look at everything Dustin has included:
    SimTools 2.4 all features.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. BiT0

BiT0 Member

Balance:
    191Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Speculating about a G-seat myseslf was evaluating alternative to the usual paddle setup.
    I am considering sliding panels for sway too. Another idea I am evaluating is that the sliding panel is not indeed the one where I sit but an underling one moving the sides of the seat toward the body.
    While losing the feeling of the column deformation it may allow to move less weight.
    What do you think?
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    14,789Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,694 / 30 / -1
    When designing elements of a g-seat the ? one should ask themselves is cause or effect. I contend that while simulating effect is somewhat effective it is the weaker of the two. Since g's are just forces without motion, simulating cause whenever possible should be the functionality of a "real" g-seat. Therefore you use the same muscle groups that you do in RL while attempting to counter them instead of the seat actually assisting you in righting yourself. I can tell you it feels absolutely awesome in comparison and also spot on when used in conjunction with a motion rig.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dododge

dododge Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    633Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    For those who haven't tried it, that's essentially the approach the Geko design takes -- you're meant to actively fight against its movements and try to keep the seat centered, rather than let it move you around. Its actuators aren't even positional, they just apply a directional force. If you don't fight them the seat-back will keep moving until it bangs into a physical limiter.

A downside is that it makes you work and you can't just lean back in the seat and relax when you feel like it. There's also a bit of a training period to get used to the design.
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Testing continues for my new G seat setup. Still playing with materials (mylar sheet at the bottom - different densities of rubber and foam at the top), but the current setup is gripping my upper torso quite well and it is great not having to get kitted up to jump into the sim. Still some work to do, but I am quite happy with the current progress. Just working on the sway at the moment, but the panel has been built to move backwards and forwards for surge when I get to that. Was able to use all my current Boden cable setup, so it has been very easy to implement.

Sway test 1.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Now added surge (mechanics behind seat) and the harness, very impressed with how this is progressing.

NewG_Seat2.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  6. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Testing with NL2 and found if I hold on to the side of the sim with both hands, as you would hold onto a cars steering wheel, or aircraft controls, then it just feels amazing :). All the cockpit to body extended motion cues/forces are there, amplifying the 6DOFs movements.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,492Coins
    Ratings:
    +207 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    SeatTime, I know it's possible you don't want to give too much info but with all the changes it gets pretty confusing. Might you be able to give your current (or recommended) setup in a list format?

i.e.-
    6DOF using small angles, large heave, sway/traction loss
    Harness tensioner for shoulders and lap
    G-seat with sway/surge back panel, sway side panels, heave bottom panel
    Helmet sway and surge
    etc. etc.

I'm slowly mentally preparing myself for my second build and it's very important I not waste any more money than necessary on any more failed experiments so this could be hugely beneficial. I need to get it right this time, and I know the key is the G-systems especially.

I'm also hoping that by relying heavily on a G-seat and other G-systems I can reduce the 6DOF motion to the point where there is no need for motion compensation.

Thanks for whatever you are comfortable sharing!
    Trip
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  8. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I don't think there is a 'perfect' system out there, but I'm getting close. Still trying out some new ideas, so not finished yet (is it ever :rolleyes:) - but tracking along fine. :).
  9. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,492Coins
    Ratings:
    +207 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    LOL OK then, I guess it's all top secret. =D
  10. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Really...
  11. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    There are photos, so not too top secret :). I have been active on this site since 2013 and it has never been my intention to tell people how to do things, as if I know it all :rolleyes:, nor is there any guarantee that what ever I am working on at the time is the 'final' best solution - often subjective. I just post what I may be working on and if someone can get ideas off it then good. Sorry if I offended you. There are of course some things that I do not post about, but that is my choice as a possible commercial decision - I owe no one here anything.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  12. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,492Coins
    Ratings:
    +207 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    LOL I'm just teasing you man, you've got how many posts and photos here?
  13. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    2,492Coins
    Ratings:
    +207 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    And now the page refreshed when I posted my reply and I see your second reply.

My apologies SeatTime, I thought the "=D" which to the best of my knowledge is a big grin would be enough for everyone to realize I wasn't serious. I'd say "how could I be?" because stating that it's "all top secret" is ludicrous given the existence of this thread and all your posts, but this is the internet and people make ludicrously stupid angry posts all the time.

If you look at my post up there it's never been edited and you will see the 'big grin" emote, that's my evidence!

Thanks for sharing what you have, reading this thread totally changed the approach I'm going to take with the G-Seat.
  14. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    My bad, the internet is a great thing and 'D' has a different meaning in my part of the world. Too use to seeing a real emoji and it would not be the first time someone has had a go at me on this site. All good :).
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The G-seat continues to evolve.
    I have now added some side paddles to the seat which operate in a parasitic fashion.
    There is a arm (may end up with two) which is attached to each paddle and as the seat back moves back for acceleration the arms push the paddles forward the same as the GS5 seat, but in this case the whole back of the seat has also moved backwards and of course forwards for braking were the side paddles drop back.
    For sway, when the seat back moves left the left paddle arm rides up the side of the capsule seat and pushes just the left paddle forward as a GS5 seat would. When the seat moves right the right paddle roller rides up the capsule seat and pushes just the right paddle forward.
    Normally to get this sort of capability (Ie sway and surge) out of paddles you would need to drive them independently with their own motor etc.
    This is all coming together nicely :).
    Some pictures below, although it does not show it that well.

Seat at center position

New G Seat at Center.jpg

Seat swaying right

New G Seat at Full Right Sway.jpg

Seat accelerating

New G Seat at full Accelleration.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  16. OZHEAT

OZHEAT Member

Balance:
    1,841Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    For a long time I've envisioned something similar but the main difference being not linear movement but more radial with the pivot point being very near the lower back/posterior.
    The use of a stiff spring at the top would also allow you to lean in to a turn just like in real life, it more about tension than movement as the sides of the seat would limit movement.
  17. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    What your not seeing is how a body reacts to the movements of this seat when your hands are on a steering wheel, flight stick or even just holding onto the sides of the capsule and don't forget there is a 6DOF doing its thing as well - There is your tension, with the paddles just adding in some more pressure in the right places :).
  18. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Also the movement of the upper body ends up being quite radial in this seat, as it really cannot do much else and its why there is a mylar sheet at the base.
  19. OZHEAT

OZHEAT Member

Balance:
    1,841Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    Fair enough, i've never been inside a real racing car or fighter jet as I've never experienced my right or left shoulder lunging forward as I go through a turn, nor have I experienced a seat harness tightening on me as I accelerate.
    cheers anyway
  20. SeatTime

Balance:
    26,421Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,528 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just for information nothing on my setup makes my right or left shoulder lunge forward - it just does not work that way, nor does a harness tighten when a car sim accelerates - the opposite actually. Maybe one day build a sim and see how all this really works. Not hating, we all cannot be in a position to build a sim. Anyway - All the best.