1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. grat

grat New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    29Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    :p I was going to comment on that. I hope he has his controllers and cpu outside the black plastic bag. It's would get hot in there. (I guess I just did the comment thing.) It's Pierre's fault, he brought it up, I was going to be good!

;)
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Yea the PC and other controllers/drivers are outside the 'booth'. Easier to just buy a black fan. Can just lift up the back flap if I need more airflow.
  3. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Also as the plastic part of the material is a weave and designed to let water through, it actually breathes.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Triple screen setup is working great. See one of these in my future :).

FSM_GA.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Another video of the triple screen setup, the dynamic lighting effect off the screens is brilliant.

6. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,307Coins
    Ratings:
    +833 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    When he reset, the seat moves so fast it is scary.
  7. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It can move up to 500mm/Sec. So you really need to have the spike filter setup well to protect your body and even the rig itself.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. fabrizio1203

fabrizio1203 Member

Balance:
    - 2Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I would need to take a break every 30 seconds, it looks thrilling!
  9. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    82Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    @SeatTime I've been considering moving away from a 100% VR motion rig setup to large triple screens for a while now (I only sim race, so no flying as of yet), but I'm still hesitant. I'm worried that it will feel so much less immersive without 3D visuals and drastically reduced vertical FOV (not to mention I will lose my wind sim in the process). However, there are a lot of other positives to triples as you mentioned: no visual blur during heave movements, realistic horizontal FOV (super important for racing), better graphics overall across all sim titles, and "infinite" sweet spot. I guess my question is this: How often do you think you will throw on the VR headset for racing now that you have large triples?
  10. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have not used my VR headset since moving to large triples (packed up in its box) and the 'booth' setup really helps with immersion and is allot better then I initially thought it could be as you are mostly looking down the track. But is it the right choice for you? Below are some advantages/disadvantages I have noticed so far in regard to Racing.

Advantages:
    • Horizontal FOV. 180+ degreees. Just amazing, with three screens set at 4K each and being able to really use your peripheral vision and not have to continually turn you head. Note that I did own a 8KX which could use a large FOV, but it was not very comfortable and nowhere near as clear and my eyes still use to suffer after a period of time.
    • Clarity. 3 x 4K at 180 degrees/Zero distortion is allot of pixels.
    • Comfort : Triples win hands down in eye and physical comfort - no contest.
    • Easy of Use of Peripherals (button boxes etc). Big win for Screens especially as you get more into racing/flying. You can also easily view a secondary screen setup to view other race information.
    • Motion: VR requires really good motion cancellation to stop the image shaking that happens when the headset is being bounced by the rig. My fixed triples work great with my motion rig and really reduce the eye fatigue which can be caused with VR (I did test both setups).
    • Social: Easier to interact and include family/friends and even your phone when racing.
    • Ease of Eating/Drinking. Something that is often overlooked, but is often important.
    Disadvantages:
    • Immersion. VR cannot be beat for total immersion, although the triples in a 'booth' is still quite immersive.
    • Vertical FOV. Not as large as most VR headsets, but what is there is plenty for racing. Note. Correctly setting the H/V FOV/seating position in-game is very important for triples and even singles and I think it is were allot of people go wrong, as I have no issues in judging apexes, but the 3D image in VR is better.
    • Not natural for new users. From observing the many people who have used both VR and triples on my rig, the average mature driver can judge distances initially better in VR than flat screens. Although they quickly adjust.
    Likely missed a few things, hope the above helps. Moving to big triples is a sizable investment in time/money which was worth it for me (use my rig way more then I ever did with VR), but maybe not for you. Some people swear by VR and will not use anything else, although most Esport racers use Flat screens.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,242Coins
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious why you limit your setup to 180 degrees with giant 55s. Seems to me I would wrap them around me more if I had them to get more fov.
  12. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    They actually sit slightly pass my head so a bit more then 180, but I also like to keep a bit of distance so that it is easier on the eyes.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    82Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    The entire list of pros and cons was extremely helpful, so thank you for taking the time to put it together! The particular point quoted above about motion caught my attention since I use a 3DOF motion rig with good motion compensation at the moment. How much heave (in terms of centimeters) can you use before your eyes become too high or low from the centerline of the screen height and the image becomes distorted across the side screens as a result? Also, is there a setup option in most games that will allow the dashboard to follow motion (roll, heave, etc)? Sorry, that second question might be a dumb one, but I have only ever used VR, so I am a little clueless about 2D display settings in sims. I am concerned motion will be much less immersive with triples than with VR.
  14. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The amount of heave I would normally run for car racing games (not that much) works fine with Triples. Most games let you control the amount of movement of the car/Aircraft for screens. Remember that these simulation games were originally design to work with screens.

As for not being as immersive as VR - correct and it is listed as one of the disadvantages. At this time, I am happy to run with these couple of disadvantages. If your currently mainly OK with VR, but are looking for just better Visuals, maybe look at a AERO VR headset, or one of the newer ones that have recently arrived with pancake lenses. The Pimax Crystal is also being supposedly released next year.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  15. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Added a 4th monitor to display instruments (just a view of the instruments at the moment). Really helps with situation awareness (without changing views) and allows a better FOV for landing etc. It swaps out for the car racing module.
    Monitor Number 4.jpg
  16. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,307Coins
    Ratings:
    +833 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Is it off the rig?
  17. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,379Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,127 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Fair point, I did look at mounting it off rig for all the reasons I have listed before, but it was not practical to mount it below the main screen, with a motion rig. But, as it is only going to be used for aircraft (swaps out for the car racing module), and was actually a old small widescreen monitor that my son stopped using many years ago, I will accept the risk for the reward.
    Car racing module.jpg