1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,914Coins
    Ratings:
    +332 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I'm doing full VR/Mixed reality with full cockpits. Enclosing the cockpit is one method I might be able to use to avoid motion compensation problems, by using inside out tracking. Currently OVRMC is not an option with OpenXR, and OpenXR gave hugely smoother gameplay in DCS which is what my sim is being built for. Enough of that though, I don't want to go too far off topic here. I'll probably post a thread soon with my initial testing and experimenting with the reality blending.
  2. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,469 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I will save you a job as closing in the cockpit will not work with inside out tracking ,I tried it and all it does is get the HMD confused as the internal gyro gets confused with what the cameras can see and it goes crazy
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    In regard to motion compensation, I have in transit a 9 axis sensor to be used with SRS. A new phoenix is rising with steel from the old and a Trak Racer 160 frame. So easy to adjust (with a sliding seat Etc) and modify. Still a floor to go in, some painting of re-purposed steel and cable tidy up to do. Works great!

NewRig_2.jpg

NewRigTR160_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,206Coins
    Ratings:
    +824 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    The rolling ball mouse is such a good idea.
  5. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Something that I should have done years ago - held in place with Velcro. Looking back surprised that it has been nearly 3 years since I have had a steering wheel/pedals fitted to one of my sims.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Been really enjoying the racing sims after a long time away and loving the 3D view of VR, but it has shown up IMO allot of the limitation with current affordable VR headsets:
    • The sweet spot is not that large in the HP and can be moved due to the fast motion of the sim... tried fitting a Creative VR balancer and head brace which did improve but not really fix the issue. Often re-adjusting the headset is annoying and it is often distracting in the heat of battle. FI . The Pimax was way worse, due to it poor fitment and front weight for my face.
    • FOV is just not enough to catch other cars moving up on you without constantly moving your head, which is not natural and becomes annoying. I know the Pimax has a Wide FOV, but having one, it did not really suit my eyes or face and caused eye strain over long use.
    • For a VR headset the HP G2 is one of the most comfortable, but I still struggle in long sessions with the Heat/sweat/weight and even a film that builds up on the lenses. A fan helps, but not completely.
    Open to ideas, Love VR, but in reality for car racing it is just not there yet for me. May reconsider fitting off rig triples.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    As I am getting more into car racing and I now have a very solid rig, decided to start building a new set of pedals, starting with the brake. Still waiting on a load cell and some other bits and pieces to turn up.

brake pedal in progress.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  8. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,236Coins
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Racing rocks!

Have you considered building the vr headset into a helmet for better support? I remember seeing a photo of you trying something with vr and and helmet at one point.

Or maybe try a triple screen setup with lighter 34" monitors with a nice frame and some sorbothane to damp? Thinking about this for myself.
  9. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the interest:thumbs. Yes, tried the helmet with my Pimax to try and get around the fitment issues, it worked OK until I applied motion and the front mass of the Pimax bounced the helment and sweet spot of the pimax out of alignment allot worse then the HP G2. In regard to smaller monitors fitted to the motion rig, tried fitting a single 31.5 inch monitor which I have and what I found was that it gave unrealistic horizonal changes with motion and in fast racing the monitors vibrated /flexed too much for my eyes - it got old fast - VR was actually better. I have tried rubber mounts/sorbothane in the past and know that actually make things worse in this situation similar to a motion cancellation sensor. Then tried my sons 55 inch TV onto a fixed stand off the rig around a meter from my face and it was excellent, but needed more FOV (IE triples which I do not have). Its the fast motion that seems to stuff up fitting monitors to the rig even with quite solid fixers. Maybe not a issue for some, but I did not like it and is why I like to use motion cancellation in VR. Just way more comfortable to look at, as it seems to remove some of the unrealistic shaking and horizon changes. FI I have never used a big monitor/TV before on my sims and it really gives more immersion then a small one (with the right viewing distance) and the extended viewing distance is more comfortable for me then being close as required with the smaller monitors. Anyway just what seems to work for me. Unless something really specially pops out of the VR world, I see big triple TVs in my future. Need to save my dollars to make it happen.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  10. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,236Coins
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, can you elaborate on this?
  11. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I think I see this effect in fast moving cars due to my head naturally trying to stay level or still, but the screen/horizon moves/bounces at high speed with the movement of the rig. This causes my head/eyes to struggle keeping in synch with the screen. A off rig fixed screen feels way more comfortable and natural to me in this situation.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  12. bberger

bberger Member

Balance:
    202Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried playing around with the settings that lock your view to the horizon? I know that at least iR, LFS and AC have this built in.
  13. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yea, always look for that, but thanks for the feedback. Interestingy a video came out today by 'gamer muscle' that goes through allot of racing game/settings that may cause nausea.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In a similar vain a software fix for ACC
  15. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,469 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I have only raced using VR exclusivly since back with my DK2. I have 2 fans blowing and never get a problem with the heat although after a 2 hour stint my body can be wet haha

They FOV is just natural for me and I have got used to it, with every headset the picture has got better so its been improving all the time.

I cannot drive flat screen at all I'm so much slower, I can't judge the distance or apex's correctly and it seems slow.

I really don't know what to suggest other than waiting a few more years for a better headset
  16. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I do have a 8KX so maybe that had a impact, also my IPD is right at the lower end of the scale so maybe my sweet spot is a bit smaller then most. I do like driving in VR, but feel it is still not ideal for all the things you need to keep aware of in racing. Thanks for the feedback.
  17. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @SilentChill said: 'I cannot drive flat screen at all I'm so much slower, I can't judge the distance or apex's correctly and it seems slow.'
    I was very much in that camp, but from comments from Boosted Media

and others

I decided to borrow my sons 55 inch TV and temporary mount it to my rig. I have been down this road before with a 40 inch 4K TV (which I actually did not mind too much - but it died possibly due to being solid mounted to my motion rig)but, I don't know if it was the more one to one image size with the 55 inch, or the more natural convergence of my eyes, but I was quite impressed and there seemed to be a almost simulated depth of field for vision outside of the cabin. Obviously you cannot beat VR for that 3D depth of field for items close up Ie the inside of the cabin. But for looking down the road or even corners - that close to one to one field of view really pulls you in. It was also so much easier on my eyes. Not going to give up on VR because it is great for other sims titles, but for the time being the good ones are not in my price range. So I will slowly get items together to make it happen. Plan to have it all done by the end of the year.
  18. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Fitted the load cell and did some testing, works, but unfortunately the old load cell amplifier that I had was not up to the task, as it was being overdriven and I had no way of adjusting the gain. Have purchased a new controller from Leobodnar, which controls all pedals with adjustable gain and 16 bit resolution.

brake pedal in progress2.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  19. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Was offered three 50 inch 4K TVs at a good price, so...
    One is up, just waiting on the hardware to fit the other two. Already looks great :).
    NewScreensetup1.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    29,249Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,114 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The plan is to set it all up similar to Karl Goslings 'Sim Racing Both' to increase the immersion.