1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Finally able to shell out for Thanos's AMC-AASD15A servo controller and it has been worth the wait. Super configurable and basically plug and play with off the shelf DB25 straight/Male cables. Has made setting up and maintaining the rig a breeze. I actually use AASD30A drivers and 1.8KW AC servos, but the only change required was changing 'linear' actuator direction to 'Foldback' to be compatible with my setup. Highly recommended. Also have the 'Bajer' traffic light unit in transit.

Currently just sitting on top of my driver enclosure, but will mount in the enclosure when the Bajer unit arrives.
    Thanos.jpg

When I turn on the servos the rig now automatically calibrates with the bottom end stops and parks were you want (near the bottom in my case to allow easy entry/exit - big tick from Wife/Friends).
    Thanos2.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  2. TBH10Coy

TBH10Coy New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform
    Hi Seattime- awesome rig. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery- well- I'm planning to try and build something similar to your big heave frame- and wondered if you could kindly elaborate on a couple of points for me in your design.
    1. What informed your motor choice? I've got the AASD15A 750W motors in an SFX 100 rig I built last year- and assume these are too weedy to move around your frame at the speeds you desire? I've got the Thanos controller already- so hopefully I can use the beefier motors with it as per your comment above. Do you think there is much difference between the motors on AliExpress or do you feel they are all much of a muchness?
    2. Did you do any thinking on the load rating of the linear guide rails on the moving part of the frame? I'm nervous of buying the wrong spec and the bearings seizing up due to bending...
    3. Might you be willing to share the designs/ parts list of your vertical actuators? You mentioned they were a pain to fabricate- is there anything you would do differently if you were doing things again?

I've got a decent enough workshop and a welding machine- I just need to bite the bullet and start ordering things...
  3. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motor choice? They were available locally at a good price and went for the 1.8kw to give me the headroom to try different things like higher speed screws. Would like to try even faster screws, but the next size up is 2020, which may require some design changes, so I have not worried about it.

Linear guild rails https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253478741540
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  4. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Unless you have a high requirement for easy access like myself, I would just purchase two more 750W motors and build a 6 DOF stewart platform with 650mm and 10mm pitch screws. So much more easier/simpler to build and it is very stable out of the box. Having built both, my current sim was a pain to build and I would not recommend it to most, but it was worth it for me.
  5. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    After struggling for quite some time if I was going to sell my PIMAX 8KX as it was just not working for me with my IPD, decided to bite the bullet and sort out the IPD issues that I have always had with the PIMAX headsets. Removed the lense holders (not a simple job)and modified everything to enable a smaller IPD and better nose clearance.

Pimax 8KX IPD fix2.jpg
    Pimax 8KX IPD fix3.jpg
    Pimax 8KX IPD fix5.jpg
    Pimax 8KX IPD fix.jpg

Not something that I would recommend for anyone who has not had allot of experience in repairing this type of equipment, but more to show that it can be done and it has stopped all the eye strain with both eyes now in proper alignment with the optical center of the lenses and therefore in focus at the same time. The PIMAX 8KX now feels like a new headset with everything improved . I don't know why PIMAX does not design the headset like this in the first place as I don't think my IPD is really that special???? Unfortunately it went back together so easily that I forgot to take more photos.

All back together and working like never before :).

Pimax 8KX IPD fix6.jpg
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Creative Creative x 2
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  6. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In a similar vain, I have been using a new VR helmet setup to help better balance and support the heavy 8KX off my face. Massive improvement in comfort also noting that I am using a pedestal fan to force air onto my face.

new VR helmet.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Vitalius

Vitalius Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    691Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi good work and much work!
    Can you please show where and how you installed pedestal fan?
    thank you
  8. grat

grat New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    19Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi @SeatTime. I would appreciate your feedback on a couple questions if you don’t mind.

Over the last three days I’ve read through both this thread and your previous ‘SeatTime's DC motor Sim’ thread (all 10 years and 30 pages!). It felt sort like time travel from where you started to where you are now. :cool:

I was drawn to your first build, 2dof with traction-loss and surge table, as it is near what I’m hoping to do at least near term, or first iteration. I own a vintage formula ford and want to build a simulator in that vein. One of the major differences it has to other race cars is an open cockpit and very quick turn-in. So direct wind pressure with speed as well as deceleration g-forces into cornering, as well as lateral g-forces in the corners. So your head/neck really take a lot of abuse. Odd as it might seem I’d like to try and replicate some of that. ;)

You have mentioned head g-system with Bowden cables. I recall one shot showing what looked like a ball joint fitting for, I assume, the top of a helmet/harness to a rearward cable. While this would emulate acceleration loads, have you done other lateral or deceleration forces for head/neck? Mentally I can come up with a few ways to do that but all of them would be cumbersome to put on/set up. Like a halo of some sort, or central helmet mount with multi-axis cables. Wanting to be able to turn your head under load for VR makes the problem even more complicated.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to write all that you have to date. Vastly informative and very thought provoking.

p.s. One of the early compelling quotes that kept rattling through my head while reading through your sim development was “I don't see what extra a 6DOF would give me.” :)
  9. grat

grat New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    19Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In thinking about it some more since the system would be fairly statically mounted to the relative head position in the seat I'm thinking I can work this up external to the whole sim build in my current seat, as I likely won't have a lot of building time until late fall anyway.

I would still value input on it though.
    I may setup a build thread if I get something working.
  10. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just off to the forward/right from were the sim is situated - more for VR anti fog/cooling due to my local hot/humid weather.
  11. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Head G system, Tried lots of different ways - recommend something torque based so that you can still turn your head. Have not got around to fitting this back onto my new sim. Unfortunately lost allot of equipment in the Australian Queensland floods (Mar 22), so only recently have my sim back up and running.
  12. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    What I got to replace my 8KX, very happy with it for the price.

HP G2 V2 VR Headset.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,061Coins
    Ratings:
    +820 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Which one is it? My knowledge of headsets has gone down over the last few years.
  14. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    HP G2 V2, just works :).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    A video that never made it here..

• Like Like x 4
  16. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,061Coins
    Ratings:
    +820 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Is it the screen that broke due to vibration?
  17. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    No that is a new smaller (more expensive) 2K 160Hz monitor screen. As for the last screen (4K TV screen) unsure if the failure was also partly due to a 10 hr + interstate truck move? This one has been fine for nearly a year. FI I will be soon be moving the monitor off rig, as I am very happy with the performance, comfort etc of the HP G2 VR headset.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +332 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @SeatTime it's been a while! Fantastic work as always!

I've finally started working on my new sim and thought the first thing I should do is check up on what you've done in the past couple years. ;)

I see your most recent sim is very similar to what I was planning to do. Since I'm starting basically from scratch again, any advice on regrets about this design or problems to look out for and avoid?

I need my version to carry a full cockpit and probably a full enclosure to meet my requirements, how much weight do you think could be added to your sim using the motors and ballscrews you used?

What I have (that I bought several years ago is six 80ST-M04025 220V 1000W AC Servo motor 4N.M 2500RPM 1KW with AASD-20A drivers. A friend calculated that they should be able to handle significantly more weight than I needed but I see you using bigger ones for a much lighter sim so that worries me.
  19. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Trip, I have no regrets, as it operates very smoothly and really suits my needs, but it was more complex to build them my old Stewart platform. Picked the 1.8Kw AASD30A size due to them being available locally at a good price and it gave me some headroom as I am only using three motors and fast screws. Hard to say what the maximum weight would be, but my current rig is no lightweight and it throws it around with some big friends attached no issues. Future plans are to remove the monitor and current steel rig and mount a carbon/plastic/alu platform that I can place different cockpits setups on for varying use.
    All the best :thumbs.
  20. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,919Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,077 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    FI, I also had plans to go three monitors (+ two more of what I have now fitted) and a mostly enclosed cabin to help with emersion, but have now become more confident in VR since I purchased the HP G2. Really looking forward to the next generation of VR headsets.