1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,687Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,003 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Finally able to shell out for Thanos's AMC-AASD15A servo controller and it has been worth the wait. Super configurable and basically plug and play with off the shelf DB25 straight/Male cables. Has made setting up and maintaining the rig a breeze. I actually use AASD30A drivers and 1.8KW AC servos, but the only change required was changing 'linear' actuator direction to 'Foldback' to be compatible with my setup. Highly recommended. Also have the 'Bajer' traffic light unit in transit.

Currently just sitting on top of my driver enclosure, but will mount in the enclosure when the Bajer unit arrives.
    Thanos.jpg

When I turn on the servos the rig now automatically calibrates with the bottom end stops and parks were you want (near the bottom in my case to allow easy entry/exit - big tick from Wife/Friends).
    Thanos2.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  2. TBH10Coy

TBH10Coy New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform
    Hi Seattime- awesome rig. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery- well- I'm planning to try and build something similar to your big heave frame- and wondered if you could kindly elaborate on a couple of points for me in your design.
    1. What informed your motor choice? I've got the AASD15A 750W motors in an SFX 100 rig I built last year- and assume these are too weedy to move around your frame at the speeds you desire? I've got the Thanos controller already- so hopefully I can use the beefier motors with it as per your comment above. Do you think there is much difference between the motors on AliExpress or do you feel they are all much of a muchness?
    2. Did you do any thinking on the load rating of the linear guide rails on the moving part of the frame? I'm nervous of buying the wrong spec and the bearings seizing up due to bending...
    3. Might you be willing to share the designs/ parts list of your vertical actuators? You mentioned they were a pain to fabricate- is there anything you would do differently if you were doing things again?

I've got a decent enough workshop and a welding machine- I just need to bite the bullet and start ordering things...
  3. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,687Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,003 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motor choice? They were available locally at a good price and went for the 1.8kw to give me the headroom to try different things like higher speed screws. Would like to try even faster screws, but the next size up is 2020, which may require some design changes, so I have not worried about it.

Linear guild rails https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253478741540
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  4. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,687Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,003 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Unless you have a high requirement for easy access like myself, I would just purchase two more 750W motors and build a 6 DOF stewart platform with 650mm and 10mm pitch screws. So much more easier/simpler to build and it is very stable out of the box. Having built both, my current sim was a pain to build and I would not recommend it to most, but it was worth it for me.