1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    27,437Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    The image is an actual commercial simulator G-Seat, mine will have my motion setup, some pressure pads/harness, a longer full seat heave and some controller attachment points.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,437Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    This is my rear seat setup:
    Current G-Seat Back Seat Setup.jpg
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,982Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks, appreciate the pic! I may need to modify my setup to the same way.

Also i wasn't sure at first but as i tune it, i like it more and more. Once you get the hug right it really does give excellent feedback and you dont just feel it in the back. I do loose a bit of detail to the worm gear of course so i may be slightly off in this but i believe you dont get the proper feel with sway. Ive asked Pmvcda if he can add tire slip/grip/angle data to PtMover. That would be good with just the flaps moving but with this extra feedback you should really be able to feel the car dance around.

I will definitively update this to a ball screw later on but a anti backlash spring will suffice for the moment.

It looks very good. Im sure i will get there eventually too. The seat really is the hot stuff. I wish i had it during my 2 years of formation flying in DCS with the Virtual red arrows. That was also a big influence in the hobby taking off bigtime. I mostly drive now days but have fun on the wing on occasion.
  4. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    933Coins
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I've been thinking of something similar for heave in the distant future for myself. Do you think you will use a large servo motor and a high speed screw so its not too noisy and distracting to get through the range? I day dream of a screw with something on the order of 25mm pitch or more.
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,437Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Plan to use a 1Kw AC servo motor and 2005 screw. There will always be some noise , but designing with sound acoustics in mind is always a good thing - Eg. rubber isolators to stop parts of the sim turning into a speaker etc . I have eight ballscrew actuators on my current sim and I do not find them that distracting or loud - with my headphones on, or a cooling fan running I cannot hear them at all. Also they are often not all moving in unison like they use to in my old stewart platform. FI it seems after a while the screws wear in and become allot quieter - mine are now a few years old and are noticeably quieter then they were when new.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  6. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,982Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    If you dont mind me asking, what do you think would be a suitable balls crew / motor combo for the moving back sway?
  7. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,437Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I used what I already had from my old 6DOF, so 48amp 12VDC motors and 500mm ballscrews, but you likely may not need all that for a back sway system. Unfortunately the motors I used are not available anymore.
  8. Phlames

Phlames Member

Balance:
    274Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    bro this looks like it should be in a arcade some where lol. Looking at this gives me so many ideas. I really love the carbon fiber look and just everything you put into this. your hard work really shines here bro. thanks for the photos and info plus ideas.