1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    The image is an actual commercial simulator G-Seat, mine will have my motion setup, some pressure pads/harness, a longer full seat heave and some controller attachment points.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    This is my rear seat setup:
    Current G-Seat Back Seat Setup.jpg
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,732Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks, appreciate the pic! I may need to modify my setup to the same way.

Also i wasn't sure at first but as i tune it, i like it more and more. Once you get the hug right it really does give excellent feedback and you dont just feel it in the back. I do loose a bit of detail to the worm gear of course so i may be slightly off in this but i believe you dont get the proper feel with sway. Ive asked Pmvcda if he can add tire slip/grip/angle data to PtMover. That would be good with just the flaps moving but with this extra feedback you should really be able to feel the car dance around.

I will definitively update this to a ball screw later on but a anti backlash spring will suffice for the moment.

It looks very good. Im sure i will get there eventually too. The seat really is the hot stuff. I wish i had it during my 2 years of formation flying in DCS with the Virtual red arrows. That was also a big influence in the hobby taking off bigtime. I mostly drive now days but have fun on the wing on occasion.
  4. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I've been thinking of something similar for heave in the distant future for myself. Do you think you will use a large servo motor and a high speed screw so its not too noisy and distracting to get through the range? I day dream of a screw with something on the order of 25mm pitch or more.
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Plan to use a 1Kw AC servo motor and 2005 screw. There will always be some noise , but designing with sound acoustics in mind is always a good thing - Eg. rubber isolators to stop parts of the sim turning into a speaker etc . I have eight ballscrew actuators on my current sim and I do not find them that distracting or loud - with my headphones on, or a cooling fan running I cannot hear them at all. Also they are often not all moving in unison like they use to in my old stewart platform. FI it seems after a while the screws wear in and become allot quieter - mine are now a few years old and are noticeably quieter then they were when new.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  6. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,732Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If you dont mind me asking, what do you think would be a suitable balls crew / motor combo for the moving back sway?
  7. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I used what I already had from my old 6DOF, so 48amp 12VDC motors and 500mm ballscrews, but you likely may not need all that for a back sway system. Unfortunately the motors I used are not available anymore.
  8. Phlames

Phlames Member

Balance:
    282Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    bro this looks like it should be in a arcade some where lol. Looking at this gives me so many ideas. I really love the carbon fiber look and just everything you put into this. your hard work really shines here bro. thanks for the photos and info plus ideas.
  9. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,732Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi there!

Hope you are progressing well! Seeing this has sparked a lot of ideas for me too and i will doing my own version of these dynamic seats.

I've been doing some testing on the sway system and while moving your body in the direction of sway works well and feels alright i find the correct (Left when inertia moves you right) way to feel more natural. In slow moving things like flight its also more pronounced. That means of course that i cant use passive levers without a lot of modding and i also need a very wide or a seat with no sidewalls as ill be lowering the right flap when moving right and so on so i crash into the seat. The great thing with DIY is that you can test and just do what works for you.

I haven't quite decided if i will go for a A-10 Aces 2 model S-70 Blackhawk or just do a general seat yet but it will be built from the ground up so i can put everything in.

I dont think i need that large heave that moves the whole seat since i got the SFX 100 150mm but im going to plan for it. Adding 4x linear bearings and 2 30mm tubes isnt much extra cost.

I plan to use 60-80ST servo drives. 1204-1605 linear guide modules.
    2 motors for the bucket heave and roll
    4 motors for the back Sway/surge Flaps
    1-2 belt top/bottom

I hope i can get a good deal if i buy everything from the same store on Ali express.

On question. Will you be doing a full seat roll/pitch or just stick with the moving surfaces? Im a bit out on that one yet.
  10. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Unfortunately not progressing at all at the moment, just using my current rig which does work quite well :). I like to keep movements to how they would be in the real world, but if it works for you then thats OK. As you are going to fit your seat to a moving platform - looks like you can manage 'full' roll, pitch, heave well from there. I manage roll/pressure heave now with my bottom seat panels - upgraded to be independently driven (not parasitic) which is not shown in my images above. Pitch is via a movable back seat panel. Re: Big Heave? Have like many found that heave is very important part of motion in aircraft so want to add that initial big movement back into my rig - its really all that I am missing. All the best :thumbs.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  11. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thinking about it, I am actually going to look at putting my current G/motion seat onto a three motor SFX 'like' rig, as from my investigations so far, when fitting DD wheels etc to the rig, it really looks to be the most efficient and cost effective way for flight and Cars. May end up with much longer actuators though with fixed/actuated bases set into a steel Base/foundations. No rush - lets see were this ends...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,732Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yup. Its all about what works for one self on these rigs and you can tune it as you wish, thats' the great thing. And as we all know (or quickly find out) its all about compromises and honestly both works very well. I find that combined with my whole right rolling left and seat back moving right i lean left so its important for me to have the feeling in my back to be as it would be in the real world. That said when you are driving you mostly forget about which way as long as you feel there is lateral movement. Im compensation with the same muscles either way I'm glad i could draw inspiration from you on this one cause its much more natural than just the flaps. I also really like your G belt over the thighs so ill be copying that at some point

Its a life long project no doubt and a lot of fun. I have a Simlab P1x rig with DD myself and while i have thought about doing a 6 dof platform i think i will stick with this one as its very easy to add things.. Hopefully 150mm throw + the seat will be enough for the heave. If not the ballscrews and profiles are not to expensive and can be re purposed if i need longer.
  13. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    By changing the design of the attachment/balance point of the main seat heave so that the weight distribution is better, I am able to keep the single seat design and just need one extra heave motor, which greatly reduces the size, cost and complexity of the project. It also looks like I will be moving house in the near future (going north into Queensland) so the need for a smaller more modular sim becomes almost mandatory.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Placed orders for a 2005 800mm Ball Screws/support bearings and 2 x HGR20-1000mm Hiwin-Linear Rail & 4 pcs HGH20CA Block Bearing. After allowing proper support spacing on the seat will end up with 700mm of available heave (+- 350mm):).
  15. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Now this I have to see!
  16. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I am also interested in how it will feel and unlike a Stewart platform, the full 700mm is available just for the main heave. Note as is the case for my current sim, more sensitive heave movements will be taken care of by the separate seat base heave.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  17. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,732Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    That sounds pretty epic. What do you suppose will be the aprox speed on those? I just recently got my SFX .75KW up and for large movements it feels slow at 250ish so id really like 400+ for myself.

Another thing ive been pondering is since this is a seat only heave right? With that range, how will that be with the steering wheel/Joysticks?
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  18. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Unfortunately what many people don't realize is that although the motor specs say a certain speed - there are allot of reasons why you may not reach that speed in the real world due to a lack of torque, the mass of the rig, or just motor settings in the controller/Driver. Note that the motor speed specified for a motor is normally 'no-load'.

FI. The main heave system on my new sim will drive the whole rig, which may look a bit different then most.
  19. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,737Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 37 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So the 2 x HGR20-1000mm Hiwin-Linear Rail & 4 pcs HGH20CA Block Bearings turn up from China in 5 days:eek:. Super surprised, as they advised a delivery date of late August? Certainly a huge turnaround to what I have been experiencing during the pandemic. I would be very surprised if the other items turn up as quick.

Linear Sliders.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Pekwah1

Pekwah1 Member

Balance:
    214Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Now this is some serious engineering, great stuff!

makes mine look very pre-school ;)