1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Totally agree and the addition of a independent Roll has closed it out for me. It is so funny watching friends try it for the first time, as unlike a Hexapod, it looks so relatively tame from the outside. But as they enter their first high G turn it's WTF! :D.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    As you may know, I do sell some of this stuff, but not quite like what you see in the video, due to its complexity and need for a custom cockpit to allow the amount of seat movement and placement of adjustable pressure plates.
  3. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,329Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,778 / 31 / -1
    No need to fret because I invented the Jiffy G-seat to provide similar forces and it is likely compatible with your existing motion rig. But instead of the seat moving your body up against static pressure plates, pressure plates and pads move into your body. The key is mobilizing the users body from shifting opposite the force in order to exert the highest pressures possible.
  4. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In regard to my rig, this is wrong, as I also have 4 moving paddles just like a GS5. Will cover this again later when I get some time.
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In response to this post in my thread, all I can say is if you want realism then you must mimic the real world as close as possible. I have been experimenting with G systems for many years and have tried most of the systems out there. Most of our sims do a Ok job, but lets first have a look at what happens in the real world:

In your normal sim it either tilts or moves into the direction of the corner placing a small pressure load on that side of the body (often only for a short time) to mimic what is happening in the real world. Thats Ok, but as we all know that comes nowhere near replicating real world constant forces.

:)

So lets have a look at how air bladders try to mimic this:

At Rest

Gseat Bladder1.jpg

Proceeding through a high G left turn.

Gseat Bladder2.jpg

This places a bit of force on the right side of the ribs which is fine and will give a Ok simulation of running through that left turn, but unfortunately the expanding bladder also moves the body to the left giving a incorrect differential with the steering wheel and foot controls and can even start to press the body into the left bolster. Neither of these is what we want.

Now if we enter the same corner in my sim, not only do you get pressure applied with the back and thigh paddles similar to a GS5 seat, but your whole torso is moved to the right and pressed hard into the pressure plates from your shoulders down replicating all the touch points in a real race seat. Also as your body is moving in the correct direction all the differentials with the race car controls are as they would be in the real world.

sway seat insert2.jpg

Gseat Me2.jpg

You decide what would work better.

Note: Not trying to knock any ones system, but this is my thread, so I felt that I should respond and at least state my case.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  6. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    5,707Coins
    Ratings:
    +172 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Enjoyed reading this thread

What type of engineer were you before you started building sims ?
  7. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Worked for Defence RAAF/DMO - Electrical/Electronic.
  8. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    5,707Coins
    Ratings:
    +172 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I used to be an aerospace engineer ;)
  9. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,329Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,778 / 31 / -1
    I was a brain surgeon before I got bored with it and became a quantum physicist but no matter your profession the third law of motion still applies ;).

To clarify I was referring to "similar forces" at the locations where your upper paddle and lower pressure plate apply pressure on the body and to nothing else because that's basically where my g-seat applies pressure for sway also. The third law of motion states forces will be equal. I agree user orientation with controls is another step towards realism and the other stuff you have is fantastic too but it would certainly cost more as well.

For greater realism though I'm most excited about my head g system because it really takes it to a different level. I enjoy using it even by itself and can get a workout just driving and flying with it alone. In fact the guys head in the video you posted above shows the same manner in which my head is jerked around too. I must be masochist for enjoying simulating such a thing so much :grin.
  10. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yep, cheap it is not, with 7 actuators driving the seat, but to get the movement right that is what it takes. Yes the head systems are great, I am currently rebuilding/refitting mine, as it was fitted directly to the capsule, which now won't work with the 'moving' seat.
  11. czgui

czgui New Member

Balance:
    82Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    What is the motor specification for your first construction?
  12. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    There were five Motion Dynamics 200W worm screw motors - 4 with 25:1 gearboxes for traction loss table, surge table, seat mover and one with a 50:1 gearbox for the seat base heave.
  13. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Now have active shoulder paddles in the sim (use to be static Pressure plates). They work brilliantly with the moving seat. Really easy to implement as my actuators are re-purposed with the capability to connect multiple cables. Just connected these to one of the two sway actuators that the sim already has.

G-Seat Shoulder Paddles.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Video of my active shoulder paddles in action - another great addition to my sim :) (seat padding removed for clarity) : I am now getting so close, with some real 'Sh#t me' moments in my sim yesterday, while rolling out of a cloud flying FS2. Fun times :). Just waiting on some equipment (everything seems to be delayed these days :( although not surprising )to update and allow me to re-fit my Head system.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,258Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'm with blaze here education dosent matter but the spirit of innovation can be there anyway.

For myself even if I'll be building a SFX-100 bu my g seat g helmet/something comes first as that's where most of the real forces come so posts like this is great for inspiration. I look forward to seeing what will be next. These projects never finish

@SeatTime I'm guessing the active side plates are also parasitic or perhaps just attached trough wire to the motors?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    'Education does not matter' ..Well maybe, but I do think working in a engineering profession makes you attack problems in a certain way. I have certainly saved myself lots of money/time in following at least some of the standard processors - no guarantees though, especially when your trying something new.

RE: Shoulder Paddles. As mentioned further above, the shoulder paddles are active/driven by cables, using one of the two sway actuators that I have fitted under my sim.
  17. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So with this 'lock down' and delays in parts delivery, it has given me a bit of time to work on my sim and it's settings. My current sim is very smooth/direct in operation compared to my old 6 DOF due to there being basically no unwanted secondary movement. This has although highlighted a few shortcomings in the data, especially anything to do with flight. Unsure if there are any easy solutions, but it will be interesting to a least try.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Terje Helle

Terje Helle New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you now only use the G Seat, or is it mounted on a motion platform?
  19. Terje Helle

Terje Helle New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And if so, what do you recommend to build first? Also, do you feel the traction loss? Can you drive the car on the edge of its tiers true the feel of your but?
  20. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,728 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Not a motion platform as most would recognise. Apart from the G seat paddles, harnesses and active/passive pressure plates, the Seat base and back are independently driven and can move and are all up capable of 6DOF.