1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Yep, cheap it is not, with 7 actuators driving the seat, but to get the movement right that is what it takes. Yes the head systems are great, I am currently rebuilding/refitting mine, as it was fitted directly to the capsule, which now won't work with the 'moving' seat.
  2. czgui

czgui Member

Balance:
    - 199Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    What is the motor specification for your first construction?
  3. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    There were five Motion Dynamics 200W worm screw motors - 4 with 25:1 gearboxes for traction loss table, surge table, seat mover and one with a 50:1 gearbox for the seat base heave.
  4. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,944Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I'm with blaze here education dosent matter but the spirit of innovation can be there anyway.

For myself even if I'll be building a SFX-100 bu my g seat g helmet/something comes first as that's where most of the real forces come so posts like this is great for inspiration. I look forward to seeing what will be next. These projects never finish

@SeatTime I'm guessing the active side plates are also parasitic or perhaps just attached trough wire to the motors?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    'Education does not matter' ..Well maybe, but I do think working in a engineering profession makes you attack problems in a certain way. I have certainly saved myself lots of money/time in following at least some of the standard processors - no guarantees though, especially when your trying something new.

RE: Shoulder Paddles. As mentioned further above, the shoulder paddles are active/driven by cables, using one of the two sway actuators that I have fitted under my sim.
  6. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So with this 'lock down' and delays in parts delivery, it has given me a bit of time to work on my sim and it's settings. My current sim is very smooth/direct in operation compared to my old 6 DOF due to there being basically no unwanted secondary movement. This has although highlighted a few shortcomings in the data, especially anything to do with flight. Unsure if there are any easy solutions, but it will be interesting to a least try.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Terje Helle

Terje Helle New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you now only use the G Seat, or is it mounted on a motion platform?
  8. Terje Helle

Terje Helle New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And if so, what do you recommend to build first? Also, do you feel the traction loss? Can you drive the car on the edge of its tiers true the feel of your but?
  9. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    What to build first? It will depend on your background and sim building experience. For most, building a motion sim first would be a safer bet. Do I feel traction loss? Certainty, not knocking standard motion sims as they work fine, but this is truely the next level in simulation.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,944Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Terje Helle
    I've experimented alot with traction loss on my gseat and it you can feel it quite well. I wrote my own axis plug in with the api for simtools and added a full snap over at a point you can tune with tuning center and have it so the snap out is right before you loose the back end. . You can also use it without the snap out and get a more gradual feel. The traction loss will cancel out sway so you will get a progressive feel of grip. Depending on how many other forces you add on top you can tell when you're on the limit to some extent. You could call it a seat of your pants but you'd need a actuator on a platform to get the inner ear stuff

I found pt mover a lot more flexible for a g seat (cropping everything below 512 center point and tuning axis center to below if needed,) though but traction loss is better on Sim tools. I'm not sure how sim tools I set up but pt mover uses yaw speed and a dead zone which in general from my experience really only does the snapover at this point given that yaw speed is high in tight corners and you need a large dz. Im not 100% on this though so i could be slightly off.

Also adding roll speed is fantastic for curbs and you can feel each side of the car bouncing around on the road. Adding heave on top of that is great. For my part i'm very glad i went with the G seat first, the constant forces are great with the flaps but i'm sure a moving back like Seat time's has a more realistic feel if you go all out.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  11. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,944Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Been having the same issue (and oscillating) lately that I haven't had in a year or so. Suspect I've made a kink in the usb cable rolling my rig around or some interference coming back. Hard to tell. Waiting for new cables
  12. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Finally received controllers/Basestations for my VR Headset. I guessing not too many of these in Australia. Won't know myself with 6 DOF tracking :).
    Index controllers_basestations.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,944Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Grats. Same thing here in Norway. Cant be bought.
  14. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,944Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Been having some fun with "inertia mode" as @BlazinH calls it. Its basically the Gseat back flaps working in unison and throwing you around so you have to work against em rather than one pressing in the side. I had some small doubts at first but after getting into it and having a 2 dof rig also throwing you around i gotta say its not bad. Feeling somewhat sore after an hour of pushing against it so its my abs workout for the future haha. I suppose it feels a bit like a G vest would do. With a head G system its probably very good. I was supposed to build one myself but the store f up my profile order, promise to fix it but just ignore and dont answer emails or any communication for soon to be 2 months so that could take a while... Dont ever shop at creative3d.no if you are in Norway ;)

Anyways, I do wonder how much force on the side it takes before that moving back of yours will start to feel. off? Those flaps should keep you fairly in place id imagine. in the inertia mode you have two big flaps pushing your entire side but im tempted to try your option too.

Im also going to go to a bowden system now and a few linear rails dont cost much. Im also going to do full surge on my rig but stick bowdens on there to do some kind of combination
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  15. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,944Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I also wonder how this one feels :) I believe yours is superior but its always fun to see ideas come to life.
  16. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,944Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Mind showing detailed pics of the back surge? Im really wondering how i will drive both with one motor or parasitic like yours. I can do 2 bowdens, or perhaps one but its a bit hard to visualize
  17. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I use a ballscrew actuator directly and not bowdens for my back surge.
  18. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    To clarify, only use bowdens were it is a advantage to do so as they will flex a small amount. I use direct actuactor drive on my main full seat heave and as mentioned the back seat surge, as their drive units do not form part of the moving mass of the sim. Everything else is bowden, to offload the weight of the other drive systems from the sims moving mass and to make the system more compact.
  19. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,423Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,749 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In the planing stages for a new sim, mainly to further improve on access and add some things learnt from my current sim. Will look similar to this (see below), but with some of my tech added and a 900mm ballscrew driving the whole seat in Heave.

Untitled.jpg
  20. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,944Coins
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks, what im mainly interested in is how you convert the forward motion of the seat to the flaps moving and how this interacts with the flap lift roller system for your sway. Thats the issue im tackling myself here https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...-flap-surge-on-moving-sway.14845/#post-200039

I have a vague idea of using 2 levers ( i need to reverse from pull to push) that are pulled directly with a link but have rollers or at least some flexible system at the end to interact with the passive flap lift on sway i plan to use. Similar to yours. If it wasn't for the sway roller element i could hard link the surge.

So in essence you are building an ejection seat. Thats one way of becomming a few cm shorter :D I like the concept though.