1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
  4. All new posts and threads should be written in English. Please do not create dual posts in other languages. If you are not a master of the English language you can use an external service to create a translation of your words, for instance, Google translate or DeepL.
    Due to low activity, we've also closed the french section.
    Dismiss Notice

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    1,728Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    @SeatTime How far aprox does the backplate move and whats the minimum you think would be good? Thinking of converting my own Dxracer
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    It varies - 3-4cm, but the problem can be in the mechanics of it all, as a race seat which is tight enough to work, will get in the way of the moving back plate and paddle parasitics. My capsule is quite a bit wider then a normal race seat, which allows the adjustable pressure plates to be supported and extend into the drivers space, enabling the mechanics to be able to move past or under them.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    4,238Coins
    Ratings:
    +299 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I'd been wanting to ask the same thing. Does 3-4 CM roughly apply to all your seat axes?

If you are of a mind to share, I'd like to see any additional photos you have of how your paddle assemblies and especially the parastic panels fit together and how the linkages and Bowdens are set up. I've looked at all the photos in this thread and they helped me a lot with planning my own design, but there's still a lot of mystery behind the outermost panels we see. =)
  4. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    While the base concepts may be the same, implementation is very much dependent on the seat and rig design, IE. my implementation may not be suitable to your rig design. I am also still changing/improving things.
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Am now exporting the Video Ride Creator motion data into other apps to work on as it is so much easier to set data in bulk etc and then pasting back into the .cfg file for final touch up.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Getting better building data against a real 4K Roller Coaster Video - will be played in VR - Virtual Desktop. Just Pitch data shown in video.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    4,238Coins
    Ratings:
    +299 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Understood. I currently have a plan, I just figured if you had more photos to share it might inspire an adjustment or two. I sometimes totally overlook the simplest solution and complicate things unnecessarily. The heave lever was a perfect example, I was going to use bellcranks or cams. =)

I take it that if you are using Virtual Desktop this is not a 360 degree 3D video for VR then? I might have to set Dad up with a No Limits 2 ride on my new sim when it is finished. He loves roller coasters but had to quit riding them after age 91 because they were beating him up too much.
  8. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    First time doing this, so just picked the first video that I liked + it was 4K, also could not easily find any good VR videos that were real footage.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  9. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    4,238Coins
    Ratings:
    +299 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I don't imagine there are many 360 degree 3D videos of roller coaster rides available, but that's only a guess.

What would be cool is to set up the roller coaster ride from Sea World on the motion sim. It's highly unlikely that the VR video would be available, but it would be pretty awesome to have at home!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    With a couple of 43 C + days here I am so glad I have a nice 4 x AC fan system in my sim cockpit. Some noise added to my now very quite sim, but worth it :).
    • Like Like x 2
  11. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    With the seat bottom paddles, have now added in some bottom seat parasitic roll in opposition to the sway which now gives a better roll/sway onset feeling. Ie if the seat bottom sways to the right, then the left paddle raises slightly and the right paddle drops slightly.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. apointner

apointner Siddhartha

Balance:
    717Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    This is it man! Don't get me wrong, Hexapods are still a factor, but this is only way to simulate proper constant forces. Without constant forces there is no realism, imho.
  13. Benji85

Benji85 Member

Balance:
    779Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    That's sexy af man. You selling that gear?
  14. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Totally agree and the addition of a independent Roll has closed it out for me. It is so funny watching friends try it for the first time, as unlike a Hexapod, it looks so relatively tame from the outside. But as they enter their first high G turn it's WTF! :D.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    As you may know, I do sell some of this stuff, but not quite like what you see in the video, due to its complexity and need for a custom cockpit to allow the amount of seat movement and placement of adjustable pressure plates.
  16. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,499Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,789 / 31 / -1
    No need to fret because I invented the Jiffy G-seat to provide similar forces and it is likely compatible with your existing motion rig. But instead of the seat moving your body up against static pressure plates, pressure plates and pads move into your body. The key is mobilizing the users body from shifting opposite the force in order to exert the highest pressures possible.
  17. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,246Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,739 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In regard to my rig, this is wrong, as I also have 4 moving paddles just like a GS5. Will cover this again later when I get some time.
  18. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    6,345Coins
    Ratings:
    +190 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Enjoyed reading this thread

What type of engineer were you before you started building sims ?
  19. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    6,345Coins
    Ratings:
    +190 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I used to be an aerospace engineer ;)
  20. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,499Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,789 / 31 / -1
    I was a brain surgeon before I got bored with it and became a quantum physicist but no matter your profession the third law of motion still applies ;).

To clarify I was referring to "similar forces" at the locations where your upper paddle and lower pressure plate apply pressure on the body and to nothing else because that's basically where my g-seat applies pressure for sway also. The third law of motion states forces will be equal. I agree user orientation with controls is another step towards realism and the other stuff you have is fantastic too but it would certainly cost more as well.

For greater realism though I'm most excited about my head g system because it really takes it to a different level. I enjoy using it even by itself and can get a workout just driving and flying with it alone. In fact the guys head in the video you posted above shows the same manner in which my head is jerked around too. I must be masochist for enjoying simulating such a thing so much :grin.