1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Seattime's Sims

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SeatTime, Mar 8, 2018.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Yes, its probably one of the most complex bits of kit that I have built and now I am modifying (from what I have learnt in testing) and re-building it all out of steel. Unfortunately the aluminum parts just were not up to all the stresses of throwing around my full weight. Will also be adding some extra bits for the thigh pressure system to make it even more complex..:rolleyes:.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    New ball transfers turned up, way better quality then the furniture ones that I purchased locally and they have a nylon ball = quiet.

Real rigs Parasitic Rollers.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,791Coins
    Ratings:
    +268 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I'm glad they turned out to be much better ones. I'll have to keep these in mind myself.
  4. Erik Green

Erik Green Member

Balance:
    216Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Do you feel that wiper motors would have enough torque with the required range of motion to give good feedback in the lateral G direction. In particular be able to drag a harness left/right and actuate thight paddles. Fast enough with sufficient force?
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Cannot answer, as I have never used wiper motors.
  6. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Been super busy, but my new sims setup moves on - seat base is now full steel and everything is 'Solid' with nothing flexing or distorting in anyway (helped by the new beefy hand made front 'hinge'). This is all critical for accurately tracking the simulation data and keeping the system aligned during high loads. FI the arrow points to one of the parasitic running plates which can be changed out to vary the operation of the paddles if I later find it necessary. Will now fit my thigh pressure system, which I think is quite innovative/different :). Stay tuned.

G Systems SeatBase.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  7. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thigh pressure system is coming along well. Just need to add the bowden cable and top thigh shaped paddles and it will be ready to test. FI:

• Looked at lots of other solutions, but most did not apply pressure exactly were I wanted, were more complex, or had the potential of fouling other systems in the seat.
    • Have not settled on a height for the carbon rod so it is likely to be shortened.
    • The system is removed for easy entry/exit and like a quick release steering wheel it just slots into a sleeve at the base.
    • As the required height of the system will change for different pilots, the bowden cable will be easily adjustable (harness material/velcro).
    • A spring will be used to limit/control the torque/pressure applied to the top of the thighs.
    • Another spring will be used to keep the thigh paddles slightly off the thighs when no pressure is being applied.
    • Things may change after testing :).

Thigh system.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    From testing, thigh system has evolved. Way simpler and less intrusive design and can stay in place - bands adjusted with velcro. Basically looks similar to the real thing, but straps are a bit wider and go further back.

Thigh system type 2.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    And here it is ready to use. Harness just threads over your legs and under the polished bar. You can also still move your legs in many directions, as the harness can slide on the center polished steel rod which can also move. Works really well :).

Thigh system type 2#1.jpg
    Thigh system type 2#2.jpg
    Thigh system type 2#3.jpg
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  10. apointner

apointner Siddhartha

Balance:
    608Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Question: do you use elastic mesh belts for the Legs? I tryed this and it turned out the mesh fits perfect to different bodyshaps witch reduced pain and immersion break.
  11. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    No, just standard Harness material like you would use in the real application. I do however install a spring in the Bowden system if required - which basically does the same thing, but I can adjust it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sberns

sberns Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    367Coins
    Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Love following your build process. Always innovative ideas! Question about your bowden systems - do you need to secure the servo motors to the wall/floor/rig to prevent them from moving while in use?
  13. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, but only to stop motor torque from bouncing them around. Normally strap them to a rubber sheet, which stops any motor/ballscrew noise being transmitted and them amplified by the equipment enclosure. Have so far got three motors for the seat base heave/sway/surge with the paddles being parasitic and two for the seat back sway/surge with the paddles again parasitic. Last two other motors are used for the thigh and shoulder harness tensioners (From what is shown in the photo, have added carbon fibre extenders to the thigh system). The combination works brilliantly (still more to come :)) and with high speed jets easily the most realistic response then any other sim that I have been in (never been a in centrifugal sim). My son says it feels like being in a G-suit. Cannot wait to get back to it all in the new year.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. sberns

sberns Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    367Coins
    Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Thanks. Can’t wait to see what you add next!
  15. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Spliced together a video of the system as it stands while on holidays. Unfortunately it still does not really show what is going on, as most of it is pressure based. But I am very happy with it and it works better in many ways compared to my old
    Stewart platform. Still have two more motors to fit (six running so far).

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,791Coins
    Ratings:
    +268 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Wow, thanks for the video SeatTime! Excellent format with the seat both occupied and empty.

Are you using any roll or sway cues on the bottom portion of the seat? It's a little hard to tell but I think all I'm seeing there is heave and surge. Edit: Same with the thigh system, looks like maybe it's heave only?

Also, about that beefy front hinge. Is your bottom cushion heave action working on that hinge, so the front edge doesn't move up or down at all? I was actually tinkering with the idea of doing it that way for a number of reasons. That's how my newest drawing is set up.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  17. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The bottom of the seat has sway, surge and heave. As in the real world the bottom part of your body does not move at the same rate as the top, but still also early days with the settings. Thigh harness is heave only, as it also moves with the seat bottom
    Yes, heave uses the front hinge, which is part of two second class levers for torque amplification.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,791Coins
    Ratings:
    +268 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ok so I was seeing some very small sway movements on the bottom, very good.
  19. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Realised that I now have the option to easily fit big screens to the capsule as it does not move. May do this for MS FS2020 and other software that does not currently support VR.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020 at 01:20
  20. SeatTime

Balance:
    27,128Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,666 / 32 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Using pressure plates, so big movements not required.