1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial scn5 2DOF surf&traction_loss or pitch&roll

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by vodkaghx, Nov 12, 2021.

1. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    to be continued
  2. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    SCN5 is well supported by Simtools and easy to setup according to https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/scn5-wiring-tutorial.5566/, I bought 2 * 250mm SCN5 and start my 2 DOF G-seat project.
    Firstly I built a 2DOF structure of roll&pitch, but soon I found out that it is a bit of weird to just roll& pitch my seat, rather than the total cockpit. According to the capacity of scn5, I don't think it is impossiable to support my whole cockpit.
    The preformance of roll&pitch 2DOF depends on games, in Dirt rally 2.0, it really did something, but in assetto corsa and rfactor2 which I usually play, the vehicle does not roll&pitch frequently unless jump on a very high kerb. Therefore I decided to build a new 2DOF structure, which can support my feet and butt at the same time, and to provide more important G-forces to me, the traction_loss G-force for drift, and surf G-force for shift& brake.

This is my 2DOF of traction_loss& surf cockpit
    745611020.jpg
    745516737.jpg

As you can see, I built another small cockpit on my original cockpit, the outside cockpit supports Servo direct drive motor (15kg) and 3*32' monitors and other things like the sequential shifter and handbrake and computer. The small moveable cockpit support the seat and pedales. I used 4 Universal ball to connect the big cockpit and small cockpit. The wheel, the pedals, the sequential shifter and handbrake are all designed by myself based on a bit of mechanical topology optimization method, if you are interested, maybe I could post another thread talk about them. This is a close picture of one corner about how to use Universal ball connect the small cockpit and the big one.
    265532415.jpg

Then I connect two cockpit with a one-direction-moveable axis, it consists of a linear guide, bearing seat(the black one in the middle), support seat(on the top) and a custom part to connect scn5 and this axis.
    1500272229.jpg

According to this whole view of the structure below, you can see the two DOFs are decoupling. there are just two DOFs, one is surf( back and forth), the orther is rotation along the connection axis.
    1207815280.jpg

Limiters are important, when the Simtools start, it will move your scn5s and automatically record the stroke of scn5. so I use 4 8mm bolts fixed on the big cockpit to restrict the small cockpit travel.
    1478627110.jpg

That's it, not very detailed, I hope it shows the idea.:)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. hideki

hideki Active Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Thats a nice rig and clever design. I always wonder how much inertia those little SCN5 can cope with. How much does the top frame weight? Thanks
  4. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    I guess the top frame is 30-35kg, including the seat and pedals.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    In addition to my weight, the total weight is about 100kg. The maximum thrust of scn5 is 100N, and it will decay as the speed increases, so it seems that using scn5 to generate surf G-force is not a good idea. But my current experience in LFS is okay, only in some extreme cases scn5 will beep.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    Since I am in China, it is very convenient to buy all kinds of things from Taobao. I think it is interesting to show you the price of the various parts of my cockpit. You might be surprised that the total price of all the parts of this cockpit is about RMB12000, excluding the computer and three 32‘ monitors. That is about $1800?
    I started to design and build it from 4or5 years ago in my spare time, and it was revised many times in the middle. I had to say the building process is more interesting than driving, that I still can't beat the AI of Assetto corsa.:)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    I designed the frame using Solidworks and a model man named Todd :)
    Todd.JPG
  8. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    The pedals the shifter and handbrake are designed using some mechanical topology optimization method, by Comsol
    The brake pedal stress when pressing
    踏板2.JPG
    The sequential shifter pull&push stress
    踏板3.JPG
    踏板4.JPG

When finished designing, draw the cutting dxf, and send it to someone who can do laser cutting on Taobao
    踏板.JPG
    踏板1.JPG

and done!
    50aafc8160ecbd36e1cd4dd3f992b0f5.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  9. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
  10. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
  11. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    The driver I used for MiGe 130ST10015LFB(10N*m) is Dealour DO-1000C30L, this is the original driver of MiGe Motor. But it has annoying high-frequency noise, maybe because it is some industry stuff not considering the noise...
    Here is how to elimanate the noise.
    First I test the noise frequency with the help of an app in IOS "Spectrum", it says the frequency of the noise is concentrated in 10k Hz. It is a good thing, because it is usually easy to elimanate sound in a very narrow frequency bandwith
    365330931.jpg

According to some acoustic theory, When the thickness of the intermediate layer is an odd multiple of 1/4 of the wavelength of the sound wave, the transmission coefficient shall be the minimum value, and the material of the intermediate layer doesn't matter much, comparing to the air.
    box.JPG
    After some calculation, I made a box with 8mm thick plexiglass, and put the driver into it, then it became silent.
    930433303.jpg
  12. hideki

hideki Active Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Impresive post!! thanks for sharing!
  13. hideki

hideki Active Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Did you see Thanos DD wheel videos? In some, I think, He talks about that noice and I guess he found a solution to the problem, It might give you some ideas
  14. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    oh? I haven't seen it, I will go and check, thanks.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/thanos-tdd-controller-alternative.16219/
    Thanos, Jun 3, 2021:The DAC takes the PWM signal from MMOS firmware and converts it to clean analog voltage 0-3.3v ... its not making noise. Rather reducing it compared to what people hearing before, when were using directly the PWM signal and the servo sounded like grinding gear.
    What might be a little annoying noise (saying a little as it literally affecting about 10-15% of the population) is the 10khz whining noise that is due to the PWM switching of the IGBT mosfets of the servo drive. This frequency is fixed and cannot be changed, and is present only when the servo motor coils are "Active" aka "Servo-Enabled".
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/pt-actuators-3dof-system.13568/page-16#post-222308
    Thanos, Oct 20, 2021: Noise level? If you mean the 10khz noise that was annoying for some in the past, its not present in the new AASD-15A Plus drives. They have new IGBT with 16khz switching now, that is not audible.

His project& website is awesome, The noise is exactly what he said, the noise solution is to use new drives with 16kHz IGBT that no one can hear. I think. Maybe those with the old drivers of 10kHz IGBT could try my solution. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. hideki

hideki Active Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I dont know anything about that lol.
    There are some projecs DIY DD wheels here in Xsimulator, just check them out. I lost interest when Fanatec announced its low cost DD, which looks more than ok, by the way
  17. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    Oh I just found that AASD-15A drive is manufactured in a company in Guangdong, https://www.cncservocontrol.com/. it's ineresting.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    This is the first 2DOF version, roll& pitch, the cylinders were not connected onto the frame, but you can tell how it works.
    I use two Triangular plate with Assassin's Creed sign on it:grin, to change the force direction of the cylinders from horizontal to vertical, and to push the front of the seat frame.
    That is because, I want the seat to push me forward while pitching backward, to simulate the instantaneous forward acceleration and equivalent acceleration by gravity, when accelerating. vice versa.

But the result was not so good as expected, because the size and angle of the Triangular plate was not enough. and I could only feel the pitch and roll, almost no back and forward.
    So I changed it to the other 2DOF tractionloss&surf.
    777532130.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  19. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    Some more detailed photos.
    57168445.jpg
    1616301546.jpg
    1682046326.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. hideki

hideki Active Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Nice. I always wanted a pulley system like this one for my SCN5 motors and a 3rd actuator for traction loss, Take a look at his other videos. I guess its better than a 2DOF seat mover
    • Informative Informative x 1