1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5: 150mm vs 100mm

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Fahim, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sirs,

I have attached a spec sheet.

Radial load capacity for 100mm is 10N.
    It is 5N for the 150mm.

I do not know what this even means as of yet but clearly 100mm is stronger in one way.

Kind Regards,

Fahim

Attached Files:

2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    However, it should be noted that this decreased rating for the 150mm is only because it extends further. If you only extended it 100mm, it would have the same rating. Dur to the built in limiter and the 25% limiter in the SCN5 plugin, you will have no issues with radial load, and will appreciate the increased travel if you can affiord it.
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thats right!

In the end it is not an important factor for the simforcegt desgin, as long as you dont kick them from the side ;D
  5. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sir,

If you set the 25% limit on the 150mm then you will have only maybe 1cm extra length over 10cm.

Like a woman say: Size matter :/

Kind Regards.
  6. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is all testing right now, it's so that nobody will slam the actuators and break them. It will probaby be less when safe.

7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The 100mm have 25% safety limit as well :brows:
  8. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  9. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They all have 3 years. Mirai is the main distributor, they send them to automation4less if you buy them from there. So you can get them anywhere, 3 years everywhere, but I would just talk to Mirai and be done with it.

10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Mirai is the main distributor for America and Europe. In case of warranty issues, those resellers have to send them back to them anyway. And they probably will we able to give much more qualified technical help, I guess.

Mirai helped us to implement the SCN5 by answering a lot of questions, and have been very kind so far. So if you dont get them for half price somewhere else, I'd appreciate it if you guys could order them via Mirai.

Regards
    Christian
  11. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sirs,

I will order from Mirai Inter-Tech.
    I suppose I would need thier 3 metre power cable. I beleive this is $45.

Kind Regards.
  12. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to if you can make your own. But if you make your own and blow up the actuator they won't fix it.

13. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Each actuator has a power cable and a data cable for a total of two plugs. If you make them yourself, this is a total of four cables. I believe that the Dyadic cables from Mirai combine the power and data into one cable bundle. This means that you would need two of their cables if I'm not mistaken. If you are able to solder, you would be better off to make your own. I believe that you were looking into a FT232R USB based adapter. If that is correct, then you would be able to wire it directly to the cables on the actuator yourself. Fair warning, if you cut the plugs off of the actuators the warranty is void so some folks have purchased matching plugs.

Here is a wiring doagram that should help you. It depicts the way that my SCN5 is connected to the FT232R USB adapter.

SCN5-Wiring-For-Devantech-USB.jpg
  14. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sir,

Thank you. I have coped this diagram into my folder on pc.
    Would this be the same diagram I use to 150mm actuator. I am sure that everything should be same design.

Kind Regards.
  15. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I only have 150mm actuators, but I believe this will work for 100mm as well. If noone has told you yet, be sure to wire them up based on the pinouts, not the wire colors. I have been told that Dyadic is not consistent with wire colors.
  16. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you buy the power wire from them, the brown is the ilk wire as the extension cable colors don't change (or so they said), so the brown should go to the pin ilk from the drawing. If you make your own go by the pins.
  17. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sirs,

This is a diagram from spec sheet of a scn5 actuator.

Vertical thrust is only 7kg max. So this maybe why you guys say have actuator angled. And not fully upright.

Nice diagram though to see variation etc.

I was thinking about posting diagram of SCN6 but it only does 200ms speed. I do not know if that is fast enough to react in accordance to that of a game (x-sim software).

Kind Regards.

Attached Files:

18. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I personally think that 200mm is fast enough for a driving simulator, and am considering trying the SCN6 actuators on my next project.
  19. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sir,

That would be interesting to see. I do not think anyone had ever used scn6 to make a simulator.

I think it would be fine for 100mm actuators as there is not much movement.

150mm, it might take a long time to reach its position and might not work well when you do silly left to right turns quickly.

Kind Regards.
  20. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Actually, everyone seems to be slowing down the SCN5's quite a bit with their speed and acceleration settings. I think an SCN6 would be able to match the speeds that most people seems to be using the SCN5's at.