1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Sabertooth 2x32 battery in parallel

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by gigi, Jul 14, 2017.

1. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    I've a problem with my sabertooth 2x32, zyt90-155-12 40A peak and PSU AWF 11DC 1400W 90A
    Power supply always shut down in peak protection. I try what dimension engineryng suggest,....voltage clamp to assorb regenerative current putting 1, then 2 then 3 and also 4 resistor in parallel from P1 to B+ ( at the moment I'm testing with only one motor in M1), but problem not solved.
    Resitors are these one https://www.digikey.com/products/en...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25 the same that dimension engineryng supply with the 2x32 card

I read that another solution should be to put a battery in parallel with a power supply unit, connect the positives together and the negatives together. For do this I need some type of re-chargeable battery like lead acid or lithium. It must be equal voltage to my PSU, and at least 12Ah or more.
    Probably stupid question but I would avoid to make demage.... The correct connection for this solution is put BATTERY+ and PSU+ to B+ of sabertooth and BATTERY- and PSU- to B- of sabertooth?
    Nothing else? diode, resistor? battery charged?
    The dip switch 3 must be set in battery (off) or power supply (on) mode? other setting in describe software?
    Thanks for your support

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    I wait your support. If should be necessary a diode please specify exactly wich diode and the connections
    thanks
    gigi
  3. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    all efforts are running out, you have just to use other PSU's like the HP DL 360 G5 or dps 600 bp...
  4. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
  5. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
  6. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
  7. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Hi silentchili!
    Yes one psu to saber

I Tried 3 solution:
    1) put first 1 than 2 than 3 and finally 4 resistor like dimensionenginering suggest but the problem not fix. I don't know how calculate the right resistor.

2) put a car battery in parallel and the problem fortunatly fixed. So I cn confirm that if I use my psu and a car battery in parallel the problem fiix. But At this point my problem is that I'm a newbie and I don't know how set this configuration and avoid dangerous problem. If the battery is connect in parallel with psu it absorbe the regenerative current. But does it also receive charging current? if yes how avoid that battery go in overcharger with the risk of explosion?diode? If yes wich one and how connect?

3)use switching pus instead server psu. I've 600-12 50A switching psu, than I connect to sabertooth and only one motor to it. with switching psu no problem of peak protection. it works perfectly. But as you know if I have one sabertooth 2x32 and to motors zyt90 40A peak each one switching psu 12v 50A is not enough. I need to use 2 of this psu in parallel to obtain 12V 100A . In this case my problem is...how put 2 of these switching psu in parallel properly avoiding the risk of damage. diode? resistor? if yes wich one and how connect?
  8. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just wire them in parallel there is no need to do anything else. I have 6 x switching led psu's all wired up in parallel. There will be no back feed the resistors will take that
  9. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Yes I read in your thread that you use 2 switching psu in parallel.
    But are you sure that it's not necessary any diode ore somethong else.?
    Many people says that is very important that the 2 psu have exactly the same output voltage (mine have a trimmer) like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIMENTATOR...641573?hash=item4ad4da13a5:g:6OIAAOxyi-ZTaLCL
    But some people say that it's dangerous put them in parallel
  10. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have had 6 x server psu's in parallel with no issues and I have now the 6 x led psu's all set manually to 13.8v so they probably are not all exactly the same and I have had no issues. The only danger someone mentioned was me over charging the battery which you dont have to worry about.
  11. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just wire the + to + on both psus and - to - and then from each psu put the 4 wires to your sabertooth 2 x - and 2 x +. They will share the load between the 2 psu's it works tried and tested ;)
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Thanks I'will try .In case of an explosion I will say that you are the commander of the attack:grin:grin
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    As long as you wire it up correcy there will be no probs
  14. baykah

baykah Active Member

Balance:
    414Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    To solve this problem, I added a 100A Diode between the PSU & the sabertooth 2x32 + a big big capacitor47 000 µF I think (not sure)

Of course, I have the regenerative resistor config also
    • Informative Informative x 1