1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

rotary to linear motion

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Gadget999, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    i thought it might be good to post up some designs for rotary to linear motion

please feel free to add any images of mechanisms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  3. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi @Gadget999,

what is the advantage of these mechanisms compared to a simple rod & lever solution?
    Especially the first solution will probably cause more friction than needed, and it is more complicated to build. So what do you win on the other hand?
  4. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    In terms of outright motion a crank/lever and rods is fine. But in my opinion it looks very ugly and unprofessional.

The advantage of a mechanism is the force is transmitted from the same location and will assist stabilty of a sim rig, plus it looks a lot nicer !
  5. Tim McGuire

Tim McGuire "Forever a work in progress"

Electrical/Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +313 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    IMHO the only mechanisms I've seen that will be worth the effort are the ballscrew/belt driven style linear actuators that other users have made. The mechanism above is essentially going to just be a less efficient crank/slider (more friction from the roller bearing and the bushing on the slider), with all of the usual drawbacks (high backlash, loss of performance as the lever deflects from the optimum position).

Actuators in the above style do exist (link), but they'll only add complexity and reduce efficiency when compared to the normal approach, there's no gain in stability or accuracy. Plus there's more parts to potentially break.
    • Agree Agree x 3