1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

robo claw dual motor controller

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by wimpo`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. wimpo`

wimpo` Member

metselaar
    Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    robo claw 2x25 amp dual motor controller.
    built in pid loop with dual optical encoder decoder.
    pwm up to 14 bits of precision.
    Datasheet.
    http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-BMROBOCLAW25.html
    I think it requires a micro controller like arduino to communicate with computer?
    It looks like its a good controller to me.
    But lets wait till the experts give there judgement. :cheers:
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The specifications are not bad, I can see it work if the PID works properly.

I would assume you only need to serially interface it to the computer and send proper commands to make it work, no other controller is needed.

What really bugs me is that the high current parts are not shown, neither explained in the datasheet.
    It is probably a VNH2SP30 for each motor, but still.

The synchronous regenerative feature and the fact that you cannot change it could be trouble. It will feed back the energy generated by the motors straight to the supply every time the motors slow down (which is pretty often in a simulator). This could cause it to shut down from over voltage, or even damage it permanently. If the power supply cannot handle this, using a battery would be mandatory to soak up the extra energy.

Not having analog inputs for simple potentiometers is a HUGE negative. Just add ~$100 extra for 2 encoders, maybe a bit less if lower resolution encoders are used on the motor shaft.

All in all I would encourage anyone brave enough to experiment with it! :D
  3. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have order VNH2SP30 dual motor driver from polulu...is this type of driver design to be used with battery too?

Dual VNH2SP30 Motor Driver Carrier MD03A
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    As long as your voltage is within the limits you can use any power supply with enough current.

How could a piece of silicon tell the difference between a 12V PSU and a 12V battery?
  5. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haha..of coz they dont.