1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

resistor for sabertooth 2x32 - psu 24v 1000w - motor 24v 350W

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by gigi, Mar 28, 2019.

1. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Hallo,
    I have this configuration
    sabertooth 2x32 for n.2 motors 24v 350w 20,5Ah each . the PSU is 24v 1000W like meanwell.
    Can you please suggest a correct resistor to avoid that regenerative current bourn my psu?
    I asked to dimension enginering and they suggest at least resistor 200w 3 ohm
    In the sabertooth box ther are only 2 small resistor 10W and a resistor 200w 3 ohm is very expensive.
    Any suggestion?
    thanks for support
  2. Milani Fabio

Milani Fabio Active Member

Balance:
    714Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 2 / -0
    Hi Gigi, this is the link of the same subject discussion.
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/sabertooth-2x32-uno-rev3.12391/
    Same your problem, n. 3 engines and n. 2 power supplies with the same features for DOF 3.
    I purchased n. 6 metytere resistors in pairs in parallel of 6.8 ohms 100w.
    https://www.cariatielettronica.eu/1...100-watt-corpo-in-alluminio-100w-100watt.html
    Hello
    Fabio
  3. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
  4. Milani Fabio

Balance:
    714Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 2 / -0
    The 6 ohm resistense are hard to find, I don't know why.
    I'm not an electronics expert.
    The value that is closest is 6.8 ohms, I asked a store in my city and he told me that it's fine.
    Hello
  5. bixler13

bixler13 Member

Balance:
    107Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Check car turn signal resistors as well. Here you can get a 2 pack of 50W 6 ohm resistors for $5 USD. Use standard series and parallel connections as required to get the correct resistance and power requirements.
  6. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Hi bixler13, thanks for your post.
    I bought these:
    https://www.cariatielettronica.eu/1...100-watt-corpo-in-alluminio-100w-100watt.html.
    N°2 resistor 100w 6,8ohm each in parallel for each motor mean that total resistence is 200w 3,4 ohm. I also asked to dimenson enginering and they answered me that my choice is ok. For 4 motors I bought 8 resistors
  7. Mister_Ray

Mister_Ray New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello,
    I'm new here in the forum and would like to build a DOF as an experimental setup. I have 2 24 V motors with 440 W each and a Sabertooth 2x32. Now I'm looking for the right resistances. I calculated the resistor values on the website.
    If I understand correctly, I need 1.3 ohms per 440W motor. Then I have to, for example. 5 x 6.8 Ohm 100 W parallel to B + and P1 and 5 x 6.8 Ohm 100 W parallel to B + and P2
    connect.
    I've often read something as low as 8 amps, but 440W / 24V = 18.33A?
  8. Mister_Ray

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I have now reread the instructions for the 2x32 again.
    If I understood correctly P1 and P2 power outputs which can each be loaded with 8A.
    But if I connect only 1.3 ohms at 24V between B + and P1, more than 8A would flow there.
    That would mean with 24V and 8A a 3Ohm 192W resistor would have to be installed?
    Then the resistance would be independent of the engine power, right?
  9. Milani Fabio

Balance:
    714Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 2 / -0
    Regardless of the power of the motors, Sabertooth can discharge a maximum of 8A.
    I mounted 2 Sabertooth 2x32A with 4 350w 24v motors.
    I put these resistors and everything works fine.
    20190329_103202.jpg Schema 4DOF Milani new 1_7.jpg
  10. Mister_Ray

Balance:
    66Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thank you,
    for the quick reply. Since I stumbled across the 8A myself. I also considered the same structure with 2 6.8 Ohm 100W. The resistors are not that expensive in this size. Thank you for the picture with the structure makes it a little easier
  11. _cOdaC_

_cOdaC_ New Member

Balance:
    46Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I really like your design which fits my project quite well.
    Can you tell me something about the Wire Gauges?
    Which Gauge did you use for the following connections?
    - Motor to Sabertooth
    - Cables between the resistors
    - Cables to Power Supply
    - Cables to potentiometers
  12. gigi

gigi Active Member

Balance:
    900Coins
    Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK, 4DOF
    Please excuse me if I am late in replying to your message. I abandoned that project a long time ago to move on to actuators. The thickness of the cables is very important only for connecting the motors to the Sabertoth boards. I don't remember the exact diameter, but I remember using the cables and connectors that are normally used to connect solar panels. Another important thing in my project was to place a heat sink on the boards and also a PC fan to cool them. In this way, even with intensive use, the cards remained at a temperature never higher than 40°. As regards the cables between the potentiometer and the board and between the resistor and the board, very thick cables are not necessary
    • Informative Informative x 1