1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Replaced steering wheel - with pizza dishes!

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by iWill, Jan 6, 2016.

1. iWill

iWill New Member

Retired [early]
    Balance:
    511Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    What began my journey into sim racing was the discovery of a very old gaming wheel with a serial interface at the local recycling shop. It was a Logitech Wingman wheel.
    07sml.jpg
    I took it home and got it working on my PC. Then the wife complained about the smell.

There was something wrong with the red rubber of the wheel. It was soft, came off under my fingernails and was very, very smelly. Initially, I got around that by wrapping the wheel with electrical tape. But you could still smell it.

I got thinking, and arrived at the following solution:

I would cut all the red rubber off the wheel and replace it with a new one, made out of two pizza dishes, a steering wheel cover, a length of garden hose, a few pieces of plastic from bottles and lots of hot glue.

I cut the two pizza dishes to remove parts of the tray that would not be needed, but leaving enough of the metal to bend around the 'spokes' of the steering wheel to secure the rim to the center of the wheel.

The two pizza dishes are then placed back to back, and the piece of garden hose is then wrapped around the rim and secured to the pizza dishes with a lot of gaffer tape. The steering wheel cover is placed on the wheel and secured with bootlaces.

The rim is then mounted on the spokes of the wheel and the spokes are made solid with a lot of hot glue, and some fencing wire.

The paddles were extended with flat pieces of plastic cut from bottles.

This is the result:

Pizza wheel.jpg
    It has proven to be very solid and has taken a lot of punishment. However, with a larger diameter wheel, the force feedback is not quite as effective as before, since you have more leverage.
    • Creative Creative x 1