1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Relay and power supply

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by evolaco, May 29, 2018.

1. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    hello, I'm using an arduino relay module to connect and disconnect the power supply and the battery with emergency stop and limit switches, the 220v phase short with the relay (the relay is powered by the 5v of the arduino and use gnd to open or close the coil with emergency stop) but the relay makes continuity intermittently and very quickly, when I use it for a while it does not open the relay, I put a photo of an equal relay, I do not know if I'm doing something wrong.

also the power supply, a Chinese 24v 40a, since I took it out of the package smells very strong, like burning or something similar, when used also smells but without using the smell is inside, this is normal because it is new?

[​IMG]
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    When the relay opens up the power circuit, is it also disconnecting power to itself?

Protect circuits either need to stay powered but better, need to "fail" open so once power is removed, they don’t set back to powering the circuit/system. Maybe yours is failing closed which powers the circuit again? Also, you say that photo is of an "equal" relay. If it’s not identical, make certain it is rated for 220V and some safety margin above the current your power supply draws. 220V that isn’t optically isolated away like with SSRs makes me nervous.

Can’t say about the power supply burnt smell. It would certainly make me suspicious. If it is working, the question is how well and for how long. Hard to say without actually smelling it or load testing it. Some phenolic-cased components have strong smells anyway. Maybe it’s OK? If it isn’t welded shut, maybe see if you can open it up (disconnected from power) and look for scorch marks and cracked cases, bulging electrolytics, etc.
  3. evolaco

evolaco Member

Balance:
    1,070Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    the relay is exactly the same as the photo, of 250vac and 30vcd, the 5v of the relay comes from the arduino and they are always connected while the pc is on, when the relay opens it is when the intermittent continuity is given, the source It does not turn on but the relay has open-closed at high frequency, I guess it has 50hz which is the frequency of the electrical network
  4. Mengxi

Mengxi New Member

Balance:
    152Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm wondering if the relay would make the simulator not resposive ?
    Because for the simulator, there should be a lot of direction changing (stall). the relay would be used very frequently.
  5. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    im looking at relays for my rig as well. how is that relay for you? still going strong or have you moved on to something else?
  6. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    so... what happened? is it working now?
  7. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thats what im wondering? im thinking of getting one but....
  8. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i need a response.
  9. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    right now im running 2 dof but expanding maybe next spring to 6 dof. i see theres some ralay boards that interst me on amazon for a very little bit more in price then this one.
  10. Tags..(VR)

Tags..(VR) Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    but what gets me is that i was going to have this control an arduino but a arduino is used to control this i think?.. IDK? i would like to have a button box to control the whole motion rig . just sit and hit some switches . right now i have to go to spot to spot to spot to turn ever thing on, and sometimes i forget something. theres just to much to turn on.this is the main reason i would want to goto a relay to control everything from the control panel .