1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Real Racers out there?

Discussion in 'Ready, set, go - Start your engines' started by dRead_SolJah, Sep 8, 2015.

1. dRead_SolJah

dRead_SolJah New Member

Balance:
    427Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Are there any real race drivers out there??

I am no professional race driver but i like to drive my Audi TT on race tracks, and i am really looking for some drift-challenges when winter comes in hehehee
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used to do track days, but a thing called a wife and kids prevent that. They consume my income now, so I am lucky to have a racing sim
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dRead_SolJah

dRead_SolJah New Member

Balance:
    427Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Ohh yes, i think things gonna change with that :)

As for now, i dont have any childs and my girlfriend is pretty happy at the MOMENT that i do trackdays, she even wants to drive with me sometimes, wow :D

Lets see how long this is going to last xD (the positive thinking, not my relationship LOL)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I do the odd track day (Super Sprints) with my car club - Agree that kids and house mortgages certainly put the brakes on any motor sport for many years (that is now all behind me :)).
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hamreus

Hamreus Member

Balance:
    664Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I drove rally in real life long time ago but not as a professional. But one time, I drove a world rally in China. Because my father worked there and had contacts I got the chance to drive in a Jetta for a Chinese team. I passed Colin McRae when he retired :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. flyingdingy

flyingdingy Member

IT
    Balance:
    553Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I compete in the Norwegian drifting league with a FWD car converted to RWD (to have a unique car - not really recommended as it forces me to invent the wheel over and over ;) )

410bhp/500nm @ the wheels
    • Like Like x 2
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That will change in time....
  8. Kass55

Kass55 Member

PC support
    Balance:
    325Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I used to compete in modified saloon car races on main circuits, like Brands.
    Take a road car, fit safety bits, like roll cage, fire extinguisher, belts, etc.
    then add stage 1 tuning, head, exhaust, tyres, brake pads, etc. and go racing.

Same as track car day is more intense then any simulator (because you know its real)
    Racing weekend is more intense then track days because everyone is racing for every place.
    They will rub your bumper or take your wing mirrors off, if needed to get past.

Real racing has real highs and real lows,
    nothing worse then having prepared the car all week, then the car braking down on race day.
    With simulator, if you crash just go reset and start again

Racing is like life just not fair.
    Some people had lots of money, a pit crew, the best car, a motor home, etc. while I turned up with a friend and a tent.

Maybe I'm just old and bitter, if you are young and single then go for it.
  9. Sean Castner

Sean Castner New Member

Balance:
    343Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I build cars, play with cars, race cars. Own Exocet and Formula 440 Red Devil. Just about done helping build a center single seat Lotus.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Lohmeyer

Lohmeyer New Member

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    521Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I raced motorcycles for 15 years with the AFM in California - VFR400 (with a built out 450cc engine) and GSXR1000. Won some championships, lost quite a few that I was in the running for too. :) I'm still an AFM member and teach the New Racer School. I also teach at track days with Keigwin's @ the Track. But haven't raced in over 5 years.

I hear you about the ups and downs of racing. I tell new racers that doing this activity will bring both the best and worst days of your life. The highs are really high - nothing can compare. But the lows are really low, like crashing both my bikes in a single afternoon for stupid reasons or having an engine let go on the final lap and toss me to the ground when I'm leading by a huge margin. I finally stopped racing because I was at the track every 2 weeks, but for those 2 weeks in between I was always too busy prepping for the next race. It was fun, but stressful.

Now I'm more focused on simulators, and flying RC helicopters and airplanes. Much less stress, much cheaper. Still fun, but nothing compares to the thrill of real competition.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Beau Jepson

Beau Jepson New Member

Software Developer/Entropeneur
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've got an '08 Mini Cooper S that's track prepped. I get a half dozen or so amateur track days in a summer. Mostly an expensive hobby.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. cruzebabuze

cruzebabuze Active Member

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes sir, I go to the track on a weekly basis with my 125 shifter kart (its the easiest fastest cheapest toy I ever got) Then when there is a track day I take my formula mazda to the track (now that is when the fun start, but expensive because of tires and parts). When road racing is over during the summer because in AZ it is too hot, I simply grab my single seat (800lbs with 180hp) and hit the Baja. I use simulator when I don't have time to get to the track.
  13. erik1992

erik1992 NONE

Student
    Balance:
    124Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I work in a kart racing, i have used the rotax kart. thats great
  14. cruzebabuze

cruzebabuze Active Member

Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Used to race shifter 125 for a while, now I sold my shifter and bought a f600 open wheel formula. I also do Baja with single seat ultra light.
  15. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    How do you make a small fortune out of car racing? :think- start with a big one :).
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Thomas T.

Thomas T. Impact

Seller
    Balance:
    134Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I´m in Kart-Racing active only Hobby :)
  17. KeithW

KeithW New Member

Balance:
    69Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In the 1990's I used to race a VW Golf mk2 at tracks in the Pacific NW part of the US. Now I crew for a professional race team.
  18. SAURACING

SAURACING New Member

Balance:
    31Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I compete in the Spain drifting league with a FWD car converted to RWD (to have a unique car - not really recommended as it forces me to invent the wheel over and over ;) )
  19. mirkobastianini

mirkobastianini Active Member

informatic
    Balance:
    1,300Coins
    Ratings:
    +77 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'm a "sunday racer", I drive 125cc kart.. Here in Italy you can rent racing kart for competition or just only for fun...but It's too expensive.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. delcarlo

delcarlo Member

Balance:
    439Coins
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor
    currently between cars, parted out my old Z32, in the middle of building a 370z twin turbo for time attack. i also have a drift car i thought was going to be a bit of fun.. but hasnt lasted more than 3 minutes on the track without breaking something
    • Like Like x 1