1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Raceflight Sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Bruceaust, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi all.
    This is the beginning thread of the construction of my proposed Motion Simulator.
    I have been researching the web and particularly this forum for a while now, and have now
    settled on a design brief that suits my needs.
    I wanted a sim that offered a reasonable amount of pitch and roll. This will hopefully
    allow me to have a sim that is suitable for iracing as well as flight sims. (Also I dont want shake the guts out of the monitors!)

I will be constructing everything myself.
    Electronics: Motion control - AVR Motion Controller (AMC) by Tronicgr
    Frame : from thin walled RHS steel tubing
    Seat: Ply seat - Seat design by Deriy
    Wiper motor motion: Similar to Erichan Cessna flight sim

I will be posting the construction progress as the project takes shape.
    Here is pic from the CAD model of the proposed sim.
    sim.jpg
    As you can see I have made an effort to make the mechanical system completely adjustable.
    This should allow for fine tuning of the centre of gravity, both vertically and fore and aft.
    I may at a later date provide a adjustable counter balance for those occasions when someone other than myself is using the sim.

Anyhow I have made a start by posting this this thread!

At this time I am collecting bits - bearings, Avr and other electronic components etc.
    I may not be a regular poster but I will post as I progress.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
    Thanks to the wealth of information and ideas from all who contribute to this forum.
    My Sim design will draw on the developments of the Designers and makers before me.
    I particularly thank those who have freely shared their Software, Electronics and Mechanical designs for all of us to use, modify and maybe improve? As construct my motion sim, I will acknowledge and thank those who drawn the knowledge from.
    A big thanks to the Xsim Guys for pulling this all together so that we can all share in this fantastic hobby.

Thanks so far to:
    Tronicgr - AVR Motion Controller (AMC)
    Deriy - Racing seat design
    Erichan- Wiper Motion system
    Xsim programmers - Xsim

Regards,
    Bruce
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah....looking good.... :D
  3. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I have made up a 32 switch input matrix (plus hat switch) that will interface all 32 switches to the Bodnar BU0836-LC.
    This card allows all pairs of wires from each switch to plug into this board using standard header plugs of RC servo type plugs.
    Easy to add a switch or button - just plug it in.

32-imput-switch-matrix-w-.jpg

Bruce
  4. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Just completed the engraving of the PCB's

IMG_5547-web-.jpg

IMG_5548-web.jpg

IMG_5546-web-.jpg

IMG_5545-web.jpg

I used a CNC router rather than etching. I drilled 0.8mm holes using the cnc, and will manually re-drill any holes that need to be bigger as the need arrises when assembling the board.

Bruce
  5. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I have noticed that on another thread that a few PCB builders would have liked files suitable for engraving the PCB's as per the previous post.

I have tried to attach the DXF files of the Controller, H Bridge and LCD board in this post, but the forum will not allow me to attach a DXF to this post. :(
    If anyone would like these DXF's I can email them directly to you - just Message me.

Please note, These are my own conversions of the original PDFs, please double check them before you use them - I have been known to make a mistake now and again :D
    I redrew most of the track lines to make it suitable for CNC engraving on my CNC machine. The idea was to remove as little of the copper as possible. The boards shown in the previous post wer cut using these files.

The AVR Controller Board DXF is suitable for engraving with a 60deg engraving bit, with an on-line cut 0.1mm depth of cut.
    The LCD Board is engraved in a similar manner.

The H Bridge Board is suitable for a profile cut with a 0.1 offset (bigger) with a 60 deg engraving bit , 0.1mm depth of cut. ( this makes the tracks slightly wider. Note that some of the tool paths will overlap slightly, but this is OK as it is removing the copper between the tracks anyway!

If you are able to drill the track pads with the CNC with say a 0.8mm drill it will be easy to enlarge some of the holes by hand during assembly of the components.
    Hope this is of some use to anyone with access to a CNC Machine.

Bruce
  6. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Finally got the AMC up and running after a few teething problems of my own doing.
    As you can see I have housed the original AMC 1.5 in clear acrylic - sort of an electronics sculpture :)
    At least you can see whats inside!
    I have built the whole shibang with all the spare outputs and redudencies etc... - expansion??
    After all the problems I had getting my first AVR running it is now very satisfying to see it has all worked out fine.
    (All the problems were from one tiny track I missed in my Cad files for the PCB)
    Thanks for all those who gave me a push in the right direction. I have learnt heaps about AVRs on the journey.

AMC1-web-.jpg

AMC-2-web.jpg

AMC-3-web.jpg

AMC-4-web.jpg

Now it onto the next stage of construction. :cheers:
  7. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Started construction fo the Sim Frames.

(Note : I have modified my roll axis ideas - this will become evident in future posts.)

The pitch frame is identical to my original design. You can see some detail of the adjustable balance/ pivot points that I have
    incorporated. This will allow me to fine tune the balance on each axis and minimise the static loads on the wiper motors.
    Once everything (including the me) is assembled and balanced, the excess steel will be trimmed off.

Pitch-frame1-web.jpg

Pitch-frame-pivot-web.jpg

Pitch-frame-fore-arft-balance-adjustment-web.jpg
  8. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Fantastic lookiing work bruce the finish is excellent keep it up, I wish you every success.

I like your electronics very much.
  9. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Progress on the Roll Frame bearings.
    Roll-Frame1.jpg

The bearings will roll on a steel runner (where the 3mm ply is in the photos). Another 2 sets of bearings will be fitted under the runner and on the edge of the runner to make the roll frame captive. The runner will be rolled to accurately conform to the arc required.

Roll-Frame-2.jpg

Pitch-and-Roll-Frame.jpg
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  11. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I have thought of bigger motors, but I already have the wipers so I will run with what I have initially.
    Also, I have made my design to be adjustable and therefore able to be balanced as much as possible to reduce the loads on the motors. Anyway I see how it goes!
  12. MSK

MSK Member

Balance:
    53Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

wow.. thats really nice. When are you looking forward to finish this ? Any expected project finish date ? would love to see it running. Keep it up, best of luck. :)

Regards
    MSK
  13. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thankyou for you interest.
    I have not got a finish date (ASAP I hope); I am working steadily on the project.
    The next challenge is to implement the motor/belt drive system onto the roll frame.
    I have an idea I am working on, which will not introduce any slack in the belts as the angles change. I should be able to use the same system on the pitch axis as well. I will always post to the forum when I make progress.

I have more or less completed the roll axis bearing system last night. I did not roll the flat bar as intended. Instead I cut an accurate male former sized to the radius less the thickness of the flat bar. Using clamps I then pulled the flat bar into the curve using the curved former. Once in place I then welded the ends to the main frame. (not to hard to do requires accurate formers etc.)
    Roll-frame-web-3.jpg

Bearings hold the frame captive. Provision has been made to add another bearing under the rail to hold the frame from lifting ( this may not be needed)
    Roll-frame-bearing-detail-web.jpg

The frame does roll very smooth and free! :D
  14. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I have made some progress on the Roll Axis motion system. :clap:

overall-view-1-web.jpg

The system I have used does not introduce any belt slack as the frame rotated. The plywood belt guide has been cut to the same radius as the center of rotation. The and play can be adjusted via a thread and nut system at the cable end.

Roll-Frame-Actuator2-web.jpg

Roll-Frame-Actuator3-web.jpg
    (note - the pulley angle needs some minor tracking adjustment)

The red polyeurethane round belt is sleaved over a stainless steel cable. I am hoping the wipers will have enough power when every thing is assembled and balanced. If not I may have to find a smaller timing pulley or use some more powerful motors (thanks bfst).
    Roll-Frame-tilt-left-web.jpg
    Roll-Frame-tilt-right-web.jpg
    The roll axis is certainly very responsive with the 120mm pulley but the motor only rotates about 1.25 turns from end stop to end stop. (I think I recall somewhere that about 3 turns endstop to endstop is better for wipers?? - although this would make the movement allot slower)

Roll-Frame-rear-view-web.jpg

I will be a relativley easy job to mount larger motors if required.
    More experiment to follow :)
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...looking good....
  16. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Done a bit of an online search to find out the torque that can be delivered by a wiper motor.
    Apparently a average wiper can deliver about 13.5 to 17.5 foot pounds (18 to 23.5 Nm) of torque running on 12v. They also draw about 14 to 16 amps when stalled? Please correct me if I am wrong? ( nearly always sometimes I am wrong! :yes: )