1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Questions about these parts

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by mohawk24, Mar 8, 2009.

1. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All just a question about the following parts...

can i use these with x-sim?????

http://www.robotpower.com/products/dalf_info.html

http://www.robotpower.com/products/osmc_info.html

and are they as good as tronics parts.????

:sos:
  2. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanos and I are developing the newest HPMhb-150A, based principally on the proven OSMC project. Our H-bridge driver (w/ 16 N-chn MOSFET) will also incorporate adjustable current limiting and over temperature settings, as well as generous heatsinking.

It is now in the pcb design phase, and should be ready for testing within a month, barring any complications. Also, it will involve firmware revisions for the AVR 1.5.

The cost will be more than the original DSMhb, but it will outperform it hands down if higher amperage is required for larger motors in the 0.5-4+ h.p. range.

I personally burned through too many MOSFET/diodes in trying to drive powerful motors in my ICE-sim, and so was born this new project.

R-eng

P.S. I am so, so very tired of the constant and short login timeout!
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Timeout->Login->Browser backbutton->send message
  4. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so can i use them with x-sim or no???

and will your parts be better than the osmc ???? or equivalent???

I'm asking because I'm not a competent circuit board builder.....

I can weld anything and fabricate anything but I'm lost when it comes to electronics so that's why I'm looking for parts already built....that can do the job...
  5. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your referring to the Dalf correct???

would tronics amc 1.5 be a better pick??? to drive those hbridges??
  6. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have read the manual for both....

I just don't want to reinvent the wheel....looking for help not sarcasm and judgement?????????????????

If Tronics amc1.5 is better then I want to use the best.....

I have already stated that I'm not an electronics guru.....

I did post this in the questions and answers category....

I was of the understanding that this forum was about helping the simulator community not being rude.....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :?
  7. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi mohawk24,

Well, in short, my AMC interface was designed to work with x-sim software from the beginning. The Darf was designed mainly to work in battlebots.

Now, what Sirnoname means is, if the Darf can handle rapid changes in direction of motion (high update rate) or if its algorithms allow the last command to be canceled to be able to accept new position target!!! This behavior is not explained in its manual...

Sirnoname didn't want to sound rude, and certainly isn't since he decided to devote some of his limited time to read the Darf manual and explain you how it works. After all, English isn't his natural language and syntax mistakes can occur that may alter his writing... like lost in translation....

Anyway. we cannot guaranty that Darf can work, but you could still use the OSMC h-bridge with my AMC1.5 of you add in between a PWM multiplexing chip like the 74HC08.

What motors are you going to use on your simulator?? If you are going to use just car wiper motors the OSMC is overkill and you could just build two DSMhb1.2 with the half money you would spend on OSMC...

Regards, Thanos
  8. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos thanks for the reply...

I need to use pretty large motors as my platform is pretty large...however I am using the center pivot model...

to alleviate some of the weight issues.....however there is still the transfer of weight when it goes left and right correct??

this is what i need to overcome...that is why i was looking at the higher output of the OSMC and the fact that it is prebuilt as my circuit building skills are next to none...

any suggestions you have are extremely helpful...

if you can imagine a legends race car body on top of the pivot point that is what im building....

There will be no steel in the construction on top beyond the base to connect to the pivot the rest is fiberglass and pvc...however there is also 3 monitors wheel and pedals and the person me approx. 260lbs on a good day...

If i knew how to post a picture i would add it to give you a better idea...
  9. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    mohawk24,

There are two things to consider; One is weight and the other is mass (especially moving mass.) You can suspend weight at the center of gravity, and it would not need much power to move it off center. But once it is moving, its mass comes into play, and stopping or changing its direction of travel may take lots of energy.

A Legends car body/structure will be many hundreds of pounds of moving mass, which will increse exponentially with its speed and distance from the pivot point. You will need very stong and large motors, higher voltage, and a powerful (amperage) H-bridge!

If you expect this design to provide realistic forces acting upon a body, then you are sorely mistaken. It will be more arcade like. Other posts have explained reasons why, and I will not go into it here. Please research through other posts at this site.

Regards,
    R-eng
  10. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply R-eng

I wont be using the legends steel body as delivered i will be cutting off everything on top except for 1x2 steel bottom frame which weighs only 33lbs the rest i will recreate with pvc tubing to simulate roll bars i will be using the orginal legends fiberglass body and it weighs 54lbs i expect pvc to weigh 5lbs and monitors are unkown as i have yet to receive them...this leaves only seat which should weigh 5lbs and driver which is me @ 260lbs

total mass to be thrown around should be approx. 397lbs....allowing 40lbs for monitors

do you think this is too heavy????
  11. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry but this login timeout just flat out sucks!
  12. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, let's try this again. 400# is a very substantial amount of weight to be moving around. Consider that a SimConMotion only has to pivot the body (of which only ~half of the arms and legs are in the equation), seat and a small part of the frame only inches from the pivot, and only a few inches in movement. And the Joyrider type, if properly balanced and with the pivots at the center-of-gravity, moves again the body, seat, and small portion of the frame, and whose combined mass is very near the C.G.

Now imagine your structure which has most of its mass rotating what, 12-18 from the pivot point? Ouch, that is a lot of moving mass! It will need powerful motors probably pulling upwards of 100A. And it will have a lot more debilitating effect because of the large moment of inertia. And all of this to give you false motion cues at the onset of the movement. The mind will hardly even conceive the correct g-force at the end of the direction of motion, due to the excessive false forces acting on the body prior to it.

But then, maybe all you want is the arcade feeling.

R-eng
  13. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thankyou for continuing to educate my ignorance in this field...

the 100amps i figured on and that is why i was looking at the OSMC as it has up 160 amp capabilities...

was looking at some products like the MSE platform or the CKAS platform untill i saw the cost...but they both state they can handle loads of around 450kg....with videos using rfactor....

http://www.msesimulation.com/2-axis-motion-systems.php
    http://www.ckas.com.au/

looking to give my motionless cockpit motion
    something with enough force and speed....ie. Ian's platform...
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I guess those platfforms use AC Motors...
  15. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not necessarily; They can use powerful DC motors, but as the weight goes up, it becomes much easier to supply it with AC.

And have you seen how slowly Ian's simulator reacts? It is perfectly fine for flight sims, but racing sims? Not if you are into realism.

R-eng
  16. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know it's hard, but sit tight...work on the HPMhb-150A is progressing nicely and on time.

R-eng
  17. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @R-eng
    What type of power source would you propose for 150A?

regards
  18. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

For this new HPMhb-150 I don't recommend anything less that using Deep Cycle batteries (not just car batteries). And connecting two in series you can get the 24V needed for more powerful motors. The reason I choose such deep cycle battery on my joyrider in the first place is explained nicely here:

http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles ... eries.html

Using simple car batteries requires to keep charging them all the time, even while using them!! :mug1:

Regards, Thanos
  19. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, I use dual 12V-125AHr Marine/RV batteries in series. It was with this that I measured 95A draw under motion of the ICE-sim. And I would rather guess that was not the actual instantaneous peaks.

And I agree that one should not use normal car batteries, as Thanos explained. The new board will also be able to handle a true 48V input, since these batteries when fully charged actually exceed their ratings by 2-4V.

R-eng
  20. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0