1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question about Heave and Surge

Discussion in 'SimTools DIY Version' started by CoachKalk, Oct 8, 2014.

1. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    My current axis assignments are:
    Pitch 25%, Roll 25%, Sway 15%, Heave 10% and Surge 25%.

My question involves which settings have the greatest impact on the shifting and accelerating response? When I am accelerating hard, my seat leans somewhat hard to the left. When reversing hard, it leans equally hard to the right. The feel while running over speed bumps seems pretty good.

Will more balance between Heave and Surge tame the leaning down some? I have tried to dial in the tuning center numbers, but I am now wondering if an axis assignment change is needed.

Steve
  2. Mazhar Salam

Mazhar Salam Member

Balance:
    907Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I think Surge is the one that deals with accl. braking and shifting
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes , axis change needed, your seat should lean back evenly under acceleration and fall forward same under braking.
    Turn all other forces to 0%, go into a game and test surge on its own, adjust the direction of the motors till it moves right, then go to tuning centre and adjust numbers. Once it moves right, do that same procedure with sway, test to make sure it leans the correct way in corners.
    Do each force individually to get them moving right. Once the direction of each force is set, work with tuning centre numbers.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @bsft - Thank you!!! I am kind of embarrassed that I did not realize how whacked my previous settings were. But, I did have friends drive that did not seem to notice either. Maybe because were are all just new and excited to feel the seat move so we just adjusted in our heads. I also just realized every time I change a plugin, my tuning center settings have to be redone. Can I save a profile?

So I went through each and every DOF one by one. Even with 100% Sway, I could not get a good feel for what the seat was supposed to be doing though. I was able to confirm and/or fix all of the others. I had everything dialed in but my traction loss motor was freaking out some.

After investigating, I noticed my pot has come loose. I decided to change the mount location while I was at it even though it would require resetting the pot in the JRK utility. Now this is the painful part. After I reset to full range and applied, I quickly realized the stinking JRK drop down menu had switched to my left seatback JRK! UGH! At first, I figured no big deal. I just "learned" the positions again and then moved on to my traction loss fix.

Well, my finely tuned sim that was totally awesome now shakes like crazy whenever I turn the wheel while driving. Straight shots ride fine. I am in the process of uploading some video that shows the problem.

I am so frustrated. It was working SO good and I screw up and reset the wrong JRK. Why would resetting the JRK cause such a change? Because the shaking only involves turning, I tried running with 0% Sway - same problem. Then 0% Roll - same problem. I guess I did not try shutting both Roll and Sway down.

I will update this post tomorrow when my video is online.

Steve
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I have attached the video for your viewing pleasure. I also included a quick pan of my sim. You can see I wrapped the entire seat in the black curtain. I really like the way it blocks all outside movement.

I know it may not seem like it by my questions, but I really have read through the resources on the forum and I have a pile of papers that I have printed as well. I guess it is a combination of info overload and not really knowing what a good sim is supposed to feel like.

The video isn't the best, but when you hear the screeching tires sound and see the seat shaking, that is when I am turning the wheel - it doesn't even have to be a hard turn. After thinking about it, it sounds and feels like I am hitting the brakes. I am holding the camera in the second part. I was trying to show just how much shaking happens and you can hear the screeching better as well.

• Like Like x 3
  8. CoachKalk

CoachKalk Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Well, I have great news. I would like to say my knowledge is increasing and I was able to pinpoint where the problem was. The truth is I just started everything back up and planned to poke around the settings but everything ran GREAT! Actually I did start with Roll and Sway both @0% and the sim felt very good. I then started adding them back in expecting the recreate the problem. NOPE! Gold baby. Now I am back to stinking fan project!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Beawdy Mate!